2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:17 am

Curtis Pride wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Trojan Pony wrote:What's his source? Sounds like speculation to me. Any one of us could have written that sentence.

Corpas has earned and deserves the role as he's had the better spring, even though it was close.

We tell people and ourselves "spring training numbers are meaningless", so why would you expect a major league team to be stupid enough to weigh one month of spring numbers more than the past three years of Street's career.

There is absolutely no question that Street is the better pitcher than Corpas. If the Rockies want their best reliever closing games then it will be Street. If they want their best pitcher be utilized in the highest leverage situations regardless of inning, then Street will be doing that.

That is completely false. There is much doubt whether Street is the better pitcher. Corpas wasn't given a huge contract for nothing. In 07 he was one of the top closers in the majors for the month or two that he was closing. I'm much more willing to look at 08 as a fluke than 07.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:19 am

Thank god Street will be closing. Hopefully he keeps the job. I thought I was golden with Nathan, Marmol and Street but not the case.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:20 am

Yoda wrote:Thank god Street will be closing. Hopefully he keeps the job. I thought I was golden with Nathan, Marmol and Street but not the case.

Oy !+)
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RotOAddicT » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:27 am

Is street 100% the closer now?

Should i drop Corpas nOw? I think Corpas has lil value if not closing.
RotOAddicT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:31 am

Yanks_Baby wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Corpas has earned and deserves the role as he's had the better spring, even though it was close.

We tell people and ourselves "spring training numbers are meaningless", so why would you expect a major league team to be stupid enough to weigh one month of spring numbers more than the past three years of Street's career.

There is absolutely no question that Street is the better pitcher than Corpas. If the Rockies want their best reliever closing games then it will be Street. If they want their best pitcher be utilized in the highest leverage situations regardless of inning, then Street will be doing that.

That is completely false. There is much doubt whether Street is the better pitcher. Corpas wasn't given a huge contract for nothing. In 07 he was one of the top closers in the majors for the month or two that he was closing. I'm much more willing to look at 08 as a fluke than 07.

While there are much more stats to go into, let's just look at the basic FIP on fangraphs which is a single largely accurate indicator of a pitcher's peripheral strength and says what their ERA "should be" based on those peripherals.

Street's career 2005-2008: 2.75, 2.62, 2.74, 3.47
Corpas' career 2006-2008: 3.61, 3.60, 3.96

They walk about the same number of batters, Street is significantly less hittable, Street gives up fewer homers, and Street strikes out way more batters. Street is better in every imaginable way other than health.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:34 am

Street was slowed by a groin injury last year.
If he's healthy he'll be right. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Geek » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:39 am

RotOAddicT wrote:Is street 100% the closer now?

I have heard nothing to that effect. Its' still speculation at this point.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:58 am

Just to nip questions like these in the bud, as I'm sure they'll come up all year... the "should I drop Player X now..." ones...

It's a long season. Street could be out of a job by May. I am never in favor of dropping a guy just to drop him. I mean, if there's a guy who is closing games available and you're holding onto a guy who isn't, with your objective being Saves, then you might want to consider. But, dropping a guy just to drop him because he isn't the closer on Opening Day, when there hasn't even been a pitch thrown yet is probably not sound strategy.

So, unless there's somebody out there begging to be picked up, there's no sense in dropping some of these guys who are in closer battles but didn't win the job on Day 1.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 830)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:01 am

bigh0rt wrote:

Just to nip questions like these in the bud, as I'm sure they'll come up all year... the "should I drop Player X now..." ones...

It's a long season. Street could be out of a job by May. I am never in favor of dropping a guy just to drop him. I mean, if there's a guy who is closing games available and you're holding onto a guy who isn't, with your objective being Saves, then you might want to consider. But, dropping a guy just to drop him because he isn't the closer on Opening Day, when there hasn't even been a pitch thrown yet is probably not sound strategy.

So, unless there's somebody out there begging to be picked up, there's no sense in dropping some of these guys who are in closer battles but didn't win the job on Day 1.

+1

Get this man an expert icon.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby metsfan12 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:20 am

Curtis Pride wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:We tell people and ourselves "spring training numbers are meaningless", so why would you expect a major league team to be stupid enough to weigh one month of spring numbers more than the past three years of Street's career.

While there are much more stats to go into, let's just look at the basic FIP on fangraphs which is a single largely accurate indicator of a pitcher's peripheral strength and says what their ERA "should be" based on those peripherals.

Street's career 2005-2008: 2.75, 2.62, 2.74, 3.47
Corpas' career 2006-2008: 3.61, 3.60, 3.96

They walk about the same number of batters, Street is significantly less hittable, Street gives up fewer homers, and Street strikes out way more batters. Street is better in every imaginable way other than health.

Are those numbers at all adjusted for where the guy is pitching. ie Corpas has pitched mostly in a worse stadium but most likely against worse hitters on average as well. Colorado essentially lied when they said it was an open competition if Street is indeed the closer. Corpas clearly "won" the "competition".
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers