2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Nerfherders wrote:I had to put in a claim for Rodney, had no choice even though it puts me at my salary cap. I have Cordero, Devine and Hoffman, so going into the season with Brian Wilson as my only reliable closer is not a recipe for success. I do also have Balfour and Kuo waiting in the wings.

I could see Balfour making a case to overtake Percy but Broxton would have to go down for a foreseeable time for Kuo to get saves but he's valuable for other numbers as is Balfour.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 125)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:
Steve-o wrote:
John Perotto of BP on 4/1/09 wrote:The Rockies are expected to go with Huston Street as their closer to begin the year, but he'll be on a short leash with Manuel Corpas also in the bullpen.

What's his source? Sounds like speculation to me. Any one of us could have written that sentence.

Corpas has earned and deserves the role as he's had the better spring, even though it was close. So, performance factors are in the favor of Corpas. But as myself and others have mentioned money and the Rockies boosting Street's value for trade is leaning me towards listing Street 1st. Street is Arb eligible again this year and a free agent in '10. So, he's going to be very expensive to keep.

If Taylor Buchholtz were healthy, which he's not currently, and if relief prospect Casey Weathers hadn't needed TJ surgery, which he did, I'd say Street would be on the way out to a team in need of a closer as the Rockies pen would be stacked. But those things did happen. I think a lot will depend on the effectiveness of wild flame thrower Juan Morrillo, who is out of options. I'm going to keep it as is and go with Hurdle's initial statement saying whoever had the best spring would close, that would be Corpas by a hair. This one could go either way though.

Wow, wouldn't Street look good on the Tigers, Nationals, Mariners, Rays, or Cardinals???

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/0 ... ckies.html
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:33 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:anybody think r. soriano might end up with some saves this year? m-gonz hasn't looked very good this spring and soriano is a capable reliever when healthy.

Soriano can't stay healthy.
Gonzalez (if fit) is head and shoulders above anything else they have. The only thing close is Boone Logan, and who knows how much faith Bobby Cox has in him. :-?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby metsfan12 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:32 pm

Havok, and anyone else, have you heard anything about Jason Isringhausen getting some save opps during the year. I am not sure where I read it but I remember reading that Percival supposedly recruited him and said he'd make sure he gets his 7 saves this year to get to 300 for his career. I haven't heard if TB brass has any such plans from any source though. The recent article regarding Jason liking the TB squad and how they get along and that he was willing to start in the minors in order to stay with the team somewhat meshes with that story, but still who cares what Percival says. I just wonder if anyone in the TB organization was thinking Izzy is 2nd in line while using Balfour like Marmol is used instead.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Wright2Reyes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:35 pm

From what I remember reading Izzy went to TB specifically for that reason, if he is with the team he will vulture some saves so he can can get to that magic number.
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Wright2Reyes wrote:From what I remember reading Izzy went to TB specifically for that reason, if he is with the team he will vulture some saves so he can can get to that magic number.

Well, he's on the DL to start the season but he's on the Rays roster.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:46 pm

metsfan12 wrote:Havok, and anyone else, have you heard anything about Jason Isringhausen getting some save opps during the year. I am not sure where I read it but I remember reading that Percival supposedly recruited him and said he'd make sure he gets his 7 saves this year to get to 300 for his career. I haven't heard if TB brass has any such plans from any source though. The recent article regarding Jason liking the TB squad and how they get along and that he was willing to start in the minors in order to stay with the team somewhat meshes with that story, but still who cares what Percival says. I just wonder if anyone in the TB organization was thinking Izzy is 2nd in line while using Balfour like Marmol is used instead.

I posted the thing about Percy recruiting him a while back. Izzy has been added to the 40 man roster and will go on the DL soon so he can stay on the 40 man and do some extended spring training. Maddon loves Izzy and has said a couple times recently the reason they are doing this is because they will need him later in the year. I think Izzy will get some opps later in the year and he is worth keeping an eye on. As far as Balfour, Havok and I disagree on him, so he will give you a different answer. Maddon loves veteran guys in the closers role and loves Balfour in the 7th and 8th inning when he needs to get one or two outs in the heart of the order and guys are on. IMO, Balfour is behind Percy, Wheeler, and a healthy Izzy for saves because of how Maddon likes to use him and use his closers. Do I think he is the lest talented out of those guys, no, but IMO from watching almost every rays game, that is how Maddon thinks about his pen. Also, Balfour only uses one pitch and good major league hitters can hit a 97 mph fast ball. He is working on a second pitch, but until it is effective I think he will have some rough outings against good fast ball hitting players.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:50 pm

Nerfherders wrote:I had to put in a claim for Rodney, had no choice even though it puts me at my salary cap. I have Cordero, Devine and Hoffman, so going into the season with Brian Wilson as my only reliable closer is not a recipe for success. I do also have Balfour and Kuo waiting in the wings.

Same situation for all of my teams. I started with both Balfour and Kuo on all three. I have since dropped Kuo on two of them for Downs. These two relievers intrigue me quite a bit, and I will be monitoring Kuo very closely and add him at the first instant of an fishy business.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:59 am

Source: Street to defeat Corpas for closer's role
By Troy E. Renck
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/02/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

TUCSON — Huston Street's strong closing argument will land him the Rockies' closer's role today, according to a source familiar with the team's thinking.

Manager Clint Hurdle indicated he will make an announcement today, with all signs pointing toward Street winning the job over Manuel Corpas. The two began spring training in an open competition. Acquired from Oakland in the Matt Holliday trade, Street started poorly, but surged to the finish line. In his past nine appearances, he has allowed just one run, never requiring more than 12 pitches. His improvement can be traced to a healed right quadriceps.

"We have known all along there would be a decision, but it's out of my control, so I can't worry about it," said Street, who has 94 career saves.

Corpas, who lost his closer's job in April 2007, has been bracing for bad news. He has allowed just one earned run this spring, but there are slight concerns about his velocity.

According to scouts who have seen him multiple times, he is averaging 89 mph with his sinker — 2 mph slower than normal. Corpas said he is working through a mechanical glitch, focusing on driving his left arm toward the plate instead of the ground.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Curtis Pride » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:11 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Trojan Pony wrote:
Steve-o wrote:

What's his source? Sounds like speculation to me. Any one of us could have written that sentence.

Corpas has earned and deserves the role as he's had the better spring, even though it was close.

We tell people and ourselves "spring training numbers are meaningless", so why would you expect a major league team to be stupid enough to weigh one month of spring numbers more than the past three years of Street's career.

There is absolutely no question that Street is the better pitcher than Corpas. If the Rockies want their best reliever closing games then it will be Street. If they want their best pitcher be utilized in the highest leverage situations regardless of inning, then Street will be doing that.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers