2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:49 pm

I have a feeling I'll be frequenting this thread throughout the year.

I left a draft with Marmol, Street, Chris Perez, and Carlos Villanueva.

I just picked up Rodney, so if Street wins the job, and Villanueva starts, I'll at least be able to tread water.

I hate chasing saves almost as much as I hate drafting saves.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Doughhead » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:50 pm

Homoudont wrote:Rotoworld

Tiger manager Jim Leyland announced Wednesday that Fernando Rodney will open the season as the team's closer.
Well, sort of. "Does that mean he’s going to come in every time? I don’t know that," Leyland said. "I wouldn’t make a big deal that I named Fernando Rodney the closer, because I really haven’t. But he’s going to close that first game, hopefully." If anything, he's the best bet to snag saves while Brandon Lyon figures out his control issues

He could've been clearer.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby metsfan12 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:04 pm

Doughhead wrote:

Tiger manager Jim Leyland announced Wednesday that Fernando Rodney will open the season as the team's closer.
Well, sort of. "Does that mean he’s going to come in every time? I don’t know that," Leyland said. "I wouldn’t make a big deal that I named Fernando Rodney the closer, because I really haven’t. But he’s going to close that first game, hopefully." If anything, he's the best bet to snag saves while Brandon Lyon figures out his control issues

Translated to English: "None of these guys are any good so I am going to march Rodney out there for now since Perry is too inexperienced"
Sounds like Lyon just lost alot of value (not that he had much to begin with).
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:I have a feeling I'll be frequenting this thread throughout the year.

I left a draft with Marmol, Street, Chris Perez, and Carlos Villanueva.

I just picked up Rodney, so if Street wins the job, and Villanueva starts, I'll at least be able to tread water.

I hate chasing saves almost as much as I hate drafting saves.

I also hate drafting/paying for saves. I left a 20 team auction with John Grabow since dropped but have added Jared Burton. 8-o
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:23 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:anybody think r. soriano might end up with some saves this year? m-gonz hasn't looked very good this spring and soriano is a capable reliever when healthy.

It's not like Gonzalez has a sparkling track record with health either. I'm sure Soriano will get some saves.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Zhangman1 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:anybody think r. soriano might end up with some saves this year? m-gonz hasn't looked very good this spring and soriano is a capable reliever when healthy.

It's not like Gonzalez has a sparkling track record with health either. I'm sure Soriano will get some saves.

Soriano has to stay healthy too. Acosta might get a shot before its all said and done :-o
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Doughhead wrote:

ugh...i dropped Lyon for Rodney...after thinking about it now i want to just wash my hands of the situation alltogether...i'm not sure it's worth chasing saves on the Tigers at the expense of my ERA and WHIP :-P
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:45 pm

I grabbed Rodney in two leagues, one team has Lyon and the other has Ryan so two very needed pickups. I didn't get Rodney on my other team with Lyon but I have Mo and Jenks, I'm not in dire straits, I can wait until I get fortunate enough to grab a cheap option.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Nerfherders » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:12 pm

I had to put in a claim for Rodney, had no choice even though it puts me at my salary cap. I have Cordero, Devine and Hoffman, so going into the season with Brian Wilson as my only reliable closer is not a recipe for success. I do also have Balfour and Kuo waiting in the wings.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby KronJon » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:49 pm

I wish the Rockies would just name their damn closer already. I'm sitting on Corpas hoping he gets the job, meanwhile Rodney and Downs are available... but for how long? :-o
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers