2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:57 am

Aaronta77 wrote:Any chance with Lyon struggling and Ryan Perry showing that he can handle pitching to Major Leaguers they give him a shot at Closing?

Perry has looked pretty darned good in ST.

A

i just cant see Leyland giving the 9th to a rookie right out of the gate...so i'd say the slimmest of chances...but i wouldnt be surprised to see him close at some point later in the year
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:26 am

Downs is worth owning whether he is closing or not. They were originally thinking of him as a starter for this year and he had a chance to be this year's Duscherer but now stuck in the 8th inning role waiting for Ryan to falter IMO makes him less valuable.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:33 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Aaronta77 wrote:Any chance with Lyon struggling and Ryan Perry showing that he can handle pitching to Major Leaguers they give him a shot at Closing?

A

i just cant see Leyland giving the 9th to a rookie right out of the gate...so i'd say the slimmest of chances...but i wouldnt be surprised to see him close at some point later in the year

leyland has already mentioned if someone else other than lyons gets save chances it will be rodney.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Chairboys » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:50 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

A

leyland has already mentioned if someone else other than lyons gets save chances it will be rodney.

And Perry may not be as ready as his low spring training ERA might indicate. His WHIP is 1.41, due largely to 7 walks in 10 innings pitched. While the Sheffield situation shows that Detroit is willing to do anything they think will make the team better, I agree with BitterDF that it's unlikely that Perry will be thrown into the role initially. Although it is worth noting that the Tigers have announced that Perry will be added to their 40-man roster and will be part of their bullpen to open the season.
Last edited by Chairboys on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chairboys
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby converge241 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:56 am

lastingsgriller wrote:ok.. seriously.. is there any good reason why Chris Ray has not been annointed closer in balimore yet?

it will happen week 2 or week 3 I believe - if not sooner

As far as the "reason" I am just guessing its just the small cushion to make 100% sure he is ready for ti again? Not saying its right or wrong but I think that is their reason?
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:06 am

anyone have any updates on francisco cordero situation in CIN?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:07 am

OMG Street or Corpas! WHIR
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 18 and 1 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:11 am

Chairboys wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

And Perry may not be as ready as his low spring training ERA might indicate. His WHIP is 1.41, due largely to 7 walks in 10 innings pitched. While the Sheffield situation shows that Detroit is willing to do anything they think will make the team better, I agree with BitterDF that it's unlikely that Perry will be thrown into the role initially. Although it is worth noting that the Tigers have announced that [b]Perry will be added to their 40-man roster and will be part of their bullpen to open the season[/b].

In reality making the 40 man roster is all one should ask for at this time. If he continues to pitch well he will get his chance to close soon enough, because Brandon Lyon = Todd Jones v2.0.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:17 am

do the tigers still see zumaya as their closer of the future? i know he's been hurt for the last couple years and doesn't have great control, but everyone was so high on him in 06 going into 07. i have to imagine they at least give him a chance if lyon and rodney falter and he's healthy, right?
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:23 am

Would anyone drop Perez for Perry?

This is obviously a bench spot.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager