2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:17 pm

Yoda wrote:I think it's Street right now. Why else would Hurdle use Corpas in a non-save situation on Street's off day?


Yeah, I don't see how the inning that these guys are pitching in during ST means much of anything. It seems most internet sites are leaning towards Corpas and even as I own him I don't see why they wouldn't go with Street. 1. You traded for him so use him for what he does best 2. He is a better pitcher than Corpas (I think most agree) and 3. You aren't winning anything this year so showcase your trade bait as was already mentioned. The ST numbers are pretty much in Corpas' favor despite everyone narrowing in on the most recent appearances. Seems a coin flip to me but I think both are worth keeping regardless of the decision. Corpas is shaky at best and Street is always an injury concern so either could lose it if they get the gig.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Slayer Rules » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:30 pm

Back to the Brewers - I was all ready to pick up Villanueva (I own Hoff and put him on the DL) when I read this (Yahoo Update):


Macha mentioned that Villanueva's recent good performances have him in the running to close games with Trevor Hoffman out, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Recommendation: Macha also mentioned Todd Coffey as a possibility and Seth McClung is also an option. Villanueva had been struggling this spring up until a week ago, but has pitched better recently. It's probably more likely that a hard thrower like Coffey or McClung gets the closing job for the first few weeks.


What is the status of this situation in Milwaukee? I personally don't like Villanueva anyway so I'd like to avoid grabbing him if possible...
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 748
Joined: 6 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Zhangman1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:33 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:Back to the Brewers - I was all ready to pick up Villanueva (I own Hoff and put him on the DL) when I read this (Yahoo Update):


Macha mentioned that Villanueva's recent good performances have him in the running to close games with Trevor Hoffman out, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Recommendation: Macha also mentioned Todd Coffey as a possibility and Seth McClung is also an option. Villanueva had been struggling this spring up until a week ago, but has pitched better recently. It's probably more likely that a hard thrower like Coffey or McClung gets the closing job for the first few weeks.


What is the status of this situation in Milwaukee? I personally don't like Villanueva anyway so I'd like to avoid grabbing him if possible...


Macha has been hating on Villanueva all spring and i've read some high praise on McClung. Still the on field results have been better for Villenuava and I believe he's the setup man this year for Hoff. I think he's the best bet for saves while hoffman is out
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2068
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:38 pm

Future Jays closer Jeremy Accardo was optioned to AAA this afternoon, which indicates that BJ Ryan will start the season with the team, and not on the DL. Whether it will be as the closer remains to be seen.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby horatio » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:00 pm

Nice work there mweir, I got Downs waiting on standby thanks to your good "read on it".
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 826
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 16 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:12 pm

Snagged Downs today once I heard that Devine was going to see Dr. Andrews. I can probably scoop Devine back up later if need be. Now let's just root for B.J. Ryan to fail.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Chairboys » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:22 pm

Yoda wrote:Street or Corpas?


From Troy Recnk with the Denver Post:

Hurdle also has made a decision on his closer, saying an announcement will come Thursday. While Manuel Corpas has had a fantastic spring there have been hints in recent days that Huston Street will land the job. My gut, which has been wrong before, says Street will start the season as the closer and the role will flip flop during the season.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/rockies/200 ... he-season/
Chairboys
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 8
Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:36 pm

several sources say its corpas barely ahead.
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:53 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Snagged Downs today once I heard that Devine was going to see Dr. Andrews. I can probably scoop Devine back up later if need be. Now let's just root for B.J. Ryan to fail.


Surprised there's not a lot of talk about this here. This is certainly not good news...
Image
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 6490
(Past Year: 45)
Joined: 4 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby DaShiz23 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:54 pm

horatio wrote:Nice work there mweir, I got Downs waiting on standby thanks to your good "read on it".

Grabbed Downs 4 days ago. Nice cheap saves, me loves em!
Image
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3412
(Past Year: 67)
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Don't call it a comeback.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact