2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Street or Corpas?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:44 pm

Yoda wrote:Street or Corpas?

i have nothing to base this on besides what i read earlier in the offseason, but i still think it'll be street. considering that the competition between them has been pretty close recently, i assume colorado will try to bolster street's trade value by anointing him the closer. they have nothing to lose by doing that. if he falters, they make the change to corpas. if he doesn't, they might be able to get a bit more for him at the deadline.
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:28 pm

colorado just had corpas work the 8th in a game they're up 3 to 1. if street comes in for the 9th, that might be your answer.
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby greenandgold » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:47 pm

Rotoworld wrote:Blue Jays optioned RHP Jeremy Accardo to Triple-A Las Vegas.
Accardo, handed a $900,000 salary in January, was pounded earlier in then month when Cito Gasten experimented with him as a starter. He finished the spring with an 8.71 ERA in 10 1/3 innings.

Ouch O:-)
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby killertofu2222 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:51 pm

greenandgold wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:Blue Jays optioned RHP Jeremy Accardo to Triple-A Las Vegas.
Accardo, handed a $900,000 salary in January, was pounded earlier in then month when Cito Gasten experimented with him as a starter. He finished the spring with an 8.71 ERA in 10 1/3 innings.

Ouch O:-)

things are looking better for downs

"We can't stop here. This is BAT country!"
killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

Postby Slayer Rules » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:52 pm

Pedros Little Friend wrote:colorado just had corpas work the 8th in a game they're up 3 to 1. if street comes in for the 9th, that might be your answer.

Nope - some guy named "Munter" got the Save - that certainly clears things up....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gi ... b_chamlb_1
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:54 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:
Pedros Little Friend wrote:colorado just had corpas work the 8th in a game they're up 3 to 1. if street comes in for the 9th, that might be your answer.

Nope - some guy named "Munter" got the Save - that certainly clears things up....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gi ... b_chamlb_1

Scott Munter is terrible. I can't imagine he's being considered. :-b Agree, though, that it helps nothing, unfortunately.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:56 pm

I think it's Street right now. Why else would Hurdle use Corpas in a non-save situation on Street's off day?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Chairboys » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:10 pm

Yoda wrote:I think it's Street right now. Why else would Hurdle use Corpas in a non-save situation on Street's off day?

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into this. Nathan, Capps, Sherrill, Qualls, and Lyon were all used by their respective managers in middle-inning, non-save situations today as they continue to prepare for the regular season.

Meanwhile, the Yankees' Dan Giese earned a save today, striking out two in a scoreless 9th, and was rewarded with a ticket to Triple A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. And so it goes........... :-°
Chairboys
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Geek » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:15 pm

Yoda wrote:I think it's Street right now. Why else would Hurdle use Corpas in a non-save situation on Street's off day?

If Chicago was the home team, they'd pitch Corpas in the 8th to make sure he got an inning of work in.

If Munter had gone out for the 8th and given up 10 runs, Corpas wouldn't have gotten a chance to pitch since Chicago wouldn't have batted in the bottom of the ninth.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers