2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:04 pm

Yoda wrote:Is it just me or do the A's have more chronically injured players than any other team?

you would think with all the HGH available in the bay area and the fact that there's no way to test for they could put it to use to heal these guys.
Last edited by BitterDodgerFan on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:05 pm

Yoda wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
converge241 wrote:But as previous poster implied SOMETIMES they escape these consultations.

Of all the consultations I've read about in the last few years, I've seen just one (and I'm sorry I can't remember who) where Andrews hasn't had to do anything. I don't think teams go to him for fun.
He really is the grim reaper of pitching.

Well Devine is pretty shaky health wise anyway.

Is it just me or do the A's have more chronically injured players than any other team?

Yeah, the position players all get back injuries and the pitchers get elbow/shoulder injuries.
I said in another thread - worst medical staff in the bigs.

I have found a picture of their secret indoor training sessions, this might clear up the mystery..........

ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby converge241 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:05 pm

Hey sometimes arguments like that show up or it gets OT so i was just wondering:

Has anyone here (Havok? Moderators? Etc?) thought of just making a closers forum (im sure it MAY have come up ebfore please dont roast me if it has on an older thread apologies)?

Have the 30 threads inside the forum for those people who just want to discuss said team
and can't find it. Have the first page of each updated with the big closer picture and than all the discussion/speculation and heck even allow the little "so and so sucked tonight" speculation/chatter.

Save searching is such a big part of so many leagues that it might not be overkill to have it's own folder. I am always doing the saves scrounging in many leagues that allow as such (in leagues that have no add/drops or try to prevent too many adds) and enjoy reading and posting items in this thread.

It could just be a headache and not worth it though, LOL
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Trojan Pony » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:07 pm

converge241 wrote:Hey sometimes arguments like that show up or it gets OT so i was just wondering:

Has anyone here (Havok? Moderators? Etc?) thought of just making a closers forum (im sure it MAY have come up ebfore please dont roast me if it has on an older thread apologies)?

Have the 30 threads inside the forum for those people who just want to discuss said team
and can't find it. Have the first page of each updated with the big closer picture and than all the discussion/speculation and heck even allow the little "so and so sucked tonight" speculation/chatter.

Save searching is such a big part of so many leagues that it might not be overkill to have it's own folder. I am always doing the saves scrounging in many leagues that allow as such (in leagues that have no add/drops or try to prevent too many adds) and enjoy reading and posting items in this thread.

It could just be a headache and not worth it though, LOL

Not a bad idea actually... :-?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby silverZ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:08 pm

A closer forum would be awesome.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:10 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Yoda wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
Of all the consultations I've read about in the last few years, I've seen just one (and I'm sorry I can't remember who) where Andrews hasn't had to do anything. I don't think teams go to him for fun.

Well Devine is pretty shaky health wise anyway.

Is it just me or do the A's have more chronically injured players than any other team?

Yeah, the position players all get back injuries and the pitchers get elbow/shoulder injuries.
I said in another thread - worst medical staff in the bigs.

Don't you think part of that has to do with the moneyball philosophy? ie take the guys that no one else wants and that offer good production/salary ratios. If you are going to scoop up all the young unprovens and all the has-beens you are going to end up with alot of injuries because those injury prone guys are the ones that have seriously discounted salaries. They still offer good production/salary but then you have to deal with all the headaches of injuries and other teams would rather just avoid it. Maybe Ben Sheets will end up with Oakland in due time.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:11 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Sorry. I didn't realize it was your personal vendetta to beat uninformed people over the head in a thread about closers... My mistake. Carry on. :-S

He's the guy that continued the argument, I merely finished it.

And 'sigh'...

It's not like I require thanks or anything, but if this is what happens when a person provides good advice in here, I don't know why I even bothered.

Actually, I am the one that ended the argument. You are still posting about it though it appears.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:12 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
converge241 wrote:But as previous poster implied SOMETIMES they escape these consultations.

Hey, if you get paid to do surgery, and everyone considered you THE expert on determining who needs surgery, wouldn't you send very few away as well?
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:17 pm

silverZ wrote:A closer forum would be awesome.

Most of the time you can find a thread in the player update/injury forum when a situation warrants it. And checking one thread for any big news, even if you have to work through my arguments is easier than looking through 30. I'd miss Qualls getting hurt or whatever if Arizona had it's own thread insetad of someone posting it in here.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:18 pm

18 and 1 wrote:Why not just take it outside of a useful thread? Maybe PM or start another thread? Why disrespect others by continuing the pissing contest within this thread?

Where is the fun in that? His posts deserved to be exposed in public. If you don't want to read it, then don't.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers