2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:26 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:what about santiago casilla? he was lights out at times in the past and filled in nicely couple years ago.

Oh you mean Jairo Garcia? :-b
He's had 2 consecutive cruddy 2nd halves, if he can keep it together he's certainly in the mix.
I still like Blevins more though, no matter how craptacular his spring has been.

Billy Beane wrote:Spring Training doesn't mean anything
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:51 pm

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Joey Devine is scheduled to have his sore elbow examined next week by Dr. James Andrews.

The newspaper notes that Devine is expected to miss at least the first few weeks of the season, but obviously a trip to see Dr. Andrews is cause for much greater concern. Brad Ziegler is now the favorite for early season saves in Oakland. Mar. 31 - 1:47 pm et
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:56 pm

converge241 wrote:
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Joey Devine is scheduled to have his sore elbow examined next week by Dr. James Andrews.

The newspaper notes that Devine is expected to miss at least the first few weeks of the season, but obviously a trip to see Dr. Andrews is cause for much greater concern. Brad Ziegler is now the favorite for early season saves in Oakland. Mar. 31 - 1:47 pm et

Oh no.

I have only seen one pitcher escape the clutches of Dr Andrews. Looks like ZIegler is it until he craps out. !+)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:13 pm

metsfan12 wrote:So Mweir and all you others replying, is this what you are gloating about?

Yes, I was right and you were wrong. Judging by your name-calling, you haven't been able to deal with that yet.

I said we won't know if it will be Ryan or Accardo (my pick) or Downs (your pick) until the season starts. It still looks like we won't know (although the Accardo/Downs situation has been settled).

No. I said if Ryan wasn't the closer then Downs would likely be Cito's choice. And that turned out to be correct.

So your prediction of Downs being 2nd in line was right but that doesn't change the fact that you based on him pitching in the 8th last year (when Accardo wasn't there to be used) and him having 5 saves last year (of which I showed you only 1 was a real full inning save). That is what I call stupid logic, comparing 2 things when only one are available to be compared and using save statistics without looking into them at all.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me to assume that Cito would go with his most dependable reliever and relief ace of last season to be the closer if the role opened up. Not a guy that he had never seen before (Accardo), a guy that was struggling in ST due to his lack of a good splitter anymore, and a guy who might not even make the team. You were way off the mark, and I told you so. I even did it nicely at first, though you continued to challenge me with your uninformed opinions.

I did reply to your comment a couple times.

Why do people lie when the post history is right there for everyone to see? You didn't do anything of the sort. That post proved that you were the one being "illogical."

So it seems that managers sometimes use the better pitcher or the guy with more experience rather than just who performed better in the previous year, doesn't it. Interesting thought huh?

Yes, very interesting consider Downs is a better pitcher than Accardo right now (check his stats the last two years) and has more experience as a reliever on this team, too (particularly in Cito's eyes).

I don't see why you are continuing this with me. You've lost, move on.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:15 pm

Dude just drop it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 pm

ramble2 wrote:I started a new thread for pissing contests so the gentlemen can take it outside. Cause nobody here cares.

It's not my fault the guy won't back down from his inane points. He should have taken his pwnage like a man.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:20 pm

Yoda wrote:Dude just drop it.

Yoda of all people telling me to drop it...haha. Totally in your character to just drop arguments...

Why, though? I want to see just how far this guy goes.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:23 pm

One more thing...the word going around is that BJ's pissed about Cito's comments. JP might come in and rectify the situation by trying to put Ryan at closer to start the year (where he probably should be). I guess we'll see which one of them has more power in the organization very soon...Cito or JP.

There's always drama when you are dealing with JP Ricciardi's Blue Jays...isn't it awesome?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:27 pm

mweir145 wrote:

Yoda of all people telling me to drop it...haha. Totally in your character to just drop arguments...

Dude there was nothing wrong with my points but out of respect of everyone's request I'll just let it go now. You win, let's move on and talk about Corpas v. Street.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:29 pm

mweir145 wrote:

Mine are short and sweet. Yours are long and annoying.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers