2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
SteveJeltzPhanClub wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:The Rays brought Izzy in. He has to make the team and be healthy, but if he does and Percy gets injured they could go to him. I wouldn't draft him, but keep an eye on the situation

I'll be monitoring this closely. Izzy isn't that far removed from being a very solid closer- if (and I understand that is a big if) he can rebound from his injuries, he could very well be the guy in TB.

Just curious why he wouldn't pick a team like the Mariners where he might be the closer right away if healthy.

He said in the paper that he had a couple options, but wanted to come to Tampa because it gave him the best opportunity to get 7 more saves and get to 300. He also said that Percy convinced him to come and told him he would make sure he got his 7 saves and got to 300. He claims to be healthy. I haven't seen or heard about his throwing yet, but he claims to be healthy and ready. If it is true that Percy wanted him here I am doubting a little if Percy feels Percy is entirely healthy.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:14 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
SteveJeltzPhanClub wrote:
I'll be monitoring this closely. Izzy isn't that far removed from being a very solid closer- if (and I understand that is a big if) he can rebound from his injuries, he could very well be the guy in TB.

Just curious why he wouldn't pick a team like the Mariners where he might be the closer right away if healthy.

He said in the paper that he had a couple options, but wanted to come to Tampa because it gave him the best opportunity to get 7 more saves and get to 300. He also said that Percy convinced him to come and told him he would make sure he got his 7 saves and got to 300. He claims to be healthy. I haven't seen or heard about his throwing yet, but he claims to be healthy and ready. If it is true that Percy wanted him here I am doubting a little if Percy feels Percy is entirely healthy.

Well, he got some mis-information as TB has better relief arms than Sea by a large margin.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 405z06 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:11 am

Izzy also lives in the Tampa Bay area, IIRC.
+
405z06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Well, he got some mis-information as TB has better relief arms than Sea by a large margin.

you won't hear me disagree :-D

I honestly don't know what it was. Like 405 said, i know he lives just north of Tampa, so maybe that was a factor. Maybe Maddon told him if he was healthy he would be first in line behind Percy, not sure. The reports are he threw 35 pitches yesterday, threw all types and feels fine. They say he had crisp motion and the balls looked good. we shall see when he goes against live pitching. McGee also threw yesterday and looked good. He will return to minor ball in june sometime
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 32)

Postby drunkmonkey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:01 pm

neoforce wrote:Maybe he wants a chance for a ring and figures the Rays have a better chance than Seattle?

Izzy got a ring in 2006 with the Cardinals. Didn't pitch, but he got a ring.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RotOAddicT » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:59 am

Is Mark Lowe going to be the Closer in SEA?? Wondering if i should drop him or not.....
RotOAddicT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:33 am

RotOAddicT wrote:Is Mark Lowe going to be the Closer in SEA?? Wondering if i should drop him or not.....

Right now, he appears to be the front-runner but pay attention to newly signed draftee Josh Fields as he was UGA's closer in college last year and is probably polished and talented enough to close in the majors, maybe even right now.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby RotOAddicT » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:24 pm

Thanks for the update. You put up the only thread i look at everyday. ;-D
RotOAddicT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kemper5 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:43 pm

So far Corpas having a much better ST than Street, Corpas over street right now? I think so. But we still got a month to go.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:46 pm

kemper5 wrote:So far Corpas having a much better ST than Street, Corpas over street right now? I think so. But we still got a month to go.

Are you really making this determination based on 1 IP by Street?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers