2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:38 am

18 and 1 wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Downs? That couldn't be possible...what about Accardo!?!

}:-)


I said I thought it would be Accardo but we would have to wait and see. You said it WOULD be Downs because he was used in the 8th last year. Ending up being right doesn't make your comments good ones. People get lucky sometimes. You prove that.

Mod Edited


Sounds like you were :owned:

It was massive pwnage, and now the only thing left that he can do to save face is call me names.
Last edited by mweir145 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:39 am

So how good are the chances that Downs opens the season as closer? I could really use some saves and I think Devine has become expendable.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:40 am

come on metsfan, you got pwned and you should apologize to mwier for being a jackass. :-b

anyways, with devine i don't think he should be dropped, just wait for him to get on DL because i think he'll still claim the job later when he's healthy. ziegler is okay, but last year it was almost smoke and mirrors how he got through barely striking out anyone and walking so much.
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:45 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:So how good are the chances that Downs opens the season as closer? I could really use some saves and I think Devine has become expendable.

Hard to say. Maybe 50/50?

Personally if I were the Jays I'd stick with BJ Ryan. His velocity is bound to get back up to the 89 MPH range eventually, and the closer's role is where he can do the least damage to the team. I'd much rather have Downs in the same role he was last year (a relief ace who pitched in the critical situations).

However Cito has mentioned this idea quite a few times already this week. He seems fixated on it, and definitely thinks it would be better for the team. If BJ struggles in his remaining outings even a little bit, I wouldn't be surprised to see Downs start out the season as closer.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:48 am

mweir145 wrote:
18 and 1 wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:
I said I thought it would be Accardo but we would have to wait and see. You said it WOULD be Downs because he was used in the 8th last year. Ending up being right doesn't make your comments good ones. People get lucky sometimes. You prove that.

Mod Edited


Sounds like you were :owned:

It was massive pwnage, and now the only thing left that he can do to save face is call me names.


mod edit
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:54 am

metsfan12 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
18 and 1 wrote:
Sounds like you were :owned:

It was massive pwnage, and now the only thing left that he can do to save face is call me names.


mod edit


You haven't yet explained to me how this is stupid logic:

I don't think you realize how Cito Gaston works. He often goes with the pitchers that he knows or is familiar with. He's done that his entire career as a manager. In fact, a criticism that people have of him is that he's always relied too much on a few guys.

Cito got this current job in June, and Scott Downs did a great job for him. Why would he decide to go with Accardo, a pitcher that wasn't even on the team when he managed, and a guy that was having a very poor spring? Seems only logical to me that he wouldn't.


It seems to me that the person who just expected Accardo to get his job back in a new administration (without his best pitch working) was the one who wasn't thinking entirely logically.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:58 am

We won't know who it will be, or even if it won't be Ryan, until the season starts most likely.

If you say so, but I think I have a pretty good read on this one. Cito used Downs several times for saves last year when BJ couldn't go (5 saves in total), and I expect him to go with his most dependable reliever just like he did last year. Pick up who you want, but I'll stick with Downs for now.


So Mweir and all you others replying, is this what you are gloating about? I said we won't know if it will be Ryan or Accardo (my pick) or Downs (your pick) until the season starts. It still looks like we won't know (although the Accardo/Downs situation has been settled). So your prediction of Downs being 2nd in line was right but that doesn't change the fact that you based on him pitching in the 8th last year (when Accardo wasn't there to be used) and him having 5 saves last year (of which I showed you only 1 was a real full inning save). That is what I call stupid logic, comparing 2 things when only one are available to be compared and using save statistics without looking into them at all.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:02 am

mweir145 wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:It was massive pwnage, and now the only thing left that he can do to save face is call me names.


mod edit


You haven't yet explained to me how this is stupid logic:

I don't think you realize how Cito Gaston works. He often goes with the pitchers that he knows or is familiar with. He's done that his entire career as a manager. In fact, a criticism that people have of him is that he's always relied too much on a few guys.

Cito got this current job in June, and Scott Downs did a great job for him. Why would he decide to go with Accardo, a pitcher that wasn't even on the team when he managed, and a guy that was having a very poor spring? Seems only logical to me that he wouldn't.


It seems to me that the person who just expected Accardo to get his job back in a new administration (without his best pitch working) was the one who wasn't thinking entirely logically.


I did reply to your comment a couple times. Why would a manager use BJ Ryan over Accardo to close at the beginning of 2008 if Accardo was CLEARLY the better pitcher in 2007 and racked up all those saves like he did? I don't think anyone was debating whether it would be Accardo or Ryan going into 2008, IF Ryan stayed healthy. So it seems that managers sometimes use the better pitcher or the guy with more experience rather than just who performed better in the previous year, doesn't it. Interesting thought huh?
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:08 am

So I heard Ryan could be out as the closer in TOR. Who do you guys think will get the job?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Carnac » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:11 am

Street or Corpas? Anyone in Colorado have the latest?

Sorry to intrude on the spat between you guys. But, I thought this was a closer thread. Too bad petty arguments take over worthwhile threads. Maybe the mods can start a new forum.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1397
(Past Year: 71)
Joined: 11 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Strolling down Penny Lane

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact