2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Dans72 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:31 am

Lyon is awful

Zumaya on the DL.

Perry got the save yesterday.
Dans72
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:38 am

Geek wrote:
colt4523 wrote:Anyone know the latest news on the Florida situation? Is Lindstrom on schedule to close? I have Nunez and if he is not closing, he will be useless to me.

Matt L is supposed to be good to go. I dumped Nunez myself a while ago.

I'd have to agree here.

Right-handed closer Matt Lindstrom will pitch in either a simulation or minor-league game Tuesday as he continues to work his way back from rotator cuff inflammation.

(Miami Herald)

Barring any setbacks, looks like he'll be ready for the opener.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:17 am

Is Devine worth dropping now? Sounds like he's DL-bound and won't get the job at first even if he is healthy.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby rib217 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:20 am

Is Aardsma looking like he is out of the running at this point?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:23 am

killertofu2222 wrote:Ryan gave up one run and two hits, including Angel Berroa’s RBI double to left-center. The left-hander, who skipped the World Baseball Classic to work on his mechanics, has a 9.00 ERA this spring.

Gaston said he might consider making Scott Downs the closer and putting Ryan “somewhere else for a while and go from there.” He said he wants to see how Ryan does in his final two spring appearances.

“I haven’t checked the velocity yet,” Gaston said, “but it looked like it might have been down today. So there are still some concerns about him.”

----from yahoo today

thoughts?

Downs? That couldn't be possible...what about Accardo!?!

}:-)
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 am

mweir145 wrote:
killertofu2222 wrote:Ryan gave up one run and two hits, including Angel Berroa’s RBI double to left-center. The left-hander, who skipped the World Baseball Classic to work on his mechanics, has a 9.00 ERA this spring.

Gaston said he might consider making Scott Downs the closer and putting Ryan “somewhere else for a while and go from there.” He said he wants to see how Ryan does in his final two spring appearances.

“I haven’t checked the velocity yet,” Gaston said, “but it looked like it might have been down today. So there are still some concerns about him.”

----from yahoo today

thoughts?

I said I thought it would be Accardo but we would have to wait and see. You said it WOULD be Downs because he was used in the 8th last year. Ending up being right doesn't make your comments good ones. People get lucky sometimes. You prove that.

Mod Edited
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dans72 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:33 am

rib217 wrote:Is Aardsma looking like he is out of the running at this point?

Yep - I'll be dropping him quick.
Dans72
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby 18 and 1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:36 am

metsfan12 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

----from yahoo today

thoughts?

I said I thought it would be Accardo but we would have to wait and see. You said it WOULD be Downs because he was used in the 8th last year. Ending up being right doesn't make your comments good ones. People get lucky sometimes. You prove that.

Mod Edited

Sounds like you were :owned:
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:36 am

metsfan12 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

----from yahoo today

thoughts?

Mod Edited

Haha, I said Downs was their most dependable reliever last season (a relief ace if you will), and if anybody was going to get the closer's job on Cito's team, it would be Scott Downs. I didn't get lucky. I know the Blue Jays, and clearly you don't...(I mean Accardo? The dude is struggling to stick in the majors right now without his splitter). Next time you should take my advice instead of challenging it for no reason.

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to reply to my last post, did you forget?

Well here it is again:
I don't think you realize how Cito Gaston works. He often goes with the pitchers that he knows or is familiar with. He's done that his entire career as a manager. In fact, a criticism that people have of him is that he's always relied too much on a few guys.

Cito got this current job in June, and Scott Downs did a great job for him. Why would he decide to go with Accardo, a pitcher that wasn't even on the team when he managed, and a guy that was having a very poor spring? Seems only logical to me that he wouldn't.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby neoforce » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:38 am

metsfan12 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Mod Edited

Metsfan12: That seems a bit harsh. mweir has proven to have a pretty good pulse about the doings of his team. Not always right, but right more than he is wrong about the Jays. We all gloat sometimes, but your reaction to what seemed a pretty mild gloat might have been too much.
Last edited by neoforce on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers