2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:21 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:What's the reasoning behind Hanrahan being "Volatile" rather than "Shaky"?

Ah, an oversight as he should be shaky though he really doesn't have a good track record as of right now. But you're right, he should be shaky.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Steve-o » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:37 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Zhangman1 wrote:anyone know now long hoff is gonna be out for?

I don't think anyone knows at this point but some have speculated that he might just miss the first 4 games of the season.

Milw Journal Sentinel on 3/30 wrote:The Brewers placed closer Trevor Hoffman on the disabled list with a strained oblique, retroactive to March 27. He is scheduled to come back April 11 against the Cubs.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:44 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Brewers placed RHP Trevor Hoffman on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 27, with a strained right oblique muscle.
Hoffman will miss at least the first four games of the season, with Carlos Villanueva likely serving as the Brewers' temporary closer. This is just the second time in 16 seasons that Hoffman has landed on the DL.
Related: Carlos Villanueva

Villanueva worth a pick up?

Villanueva and Downs; are these guys 'worth' more than elite setup men who are stuck behind good closers (Arrendondo, Kuo, Balfour, etc)?
I guess my question is, is it better to end up middle of the pack in saves, and roll with great setup men for their ratios and K/9? Or, to drop players like this and go for top of the pack in saves, but risking your ERA, WHIP, and K numbers?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby 18 and 1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Ryan pitches rocky eighth in Toronto lossPreview | Box Score | Recap
30 minutes ago

AP - Mar 30, 12:31 pm EDT 1 of 18 MLB Gallery DUNEDIN, Fla. (AP)—Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston expressed concern about closer B.J. Ryan after he pitched a shaky eighth inning in Toronto’s 3-1 loss to the New York Yankees on Monday.

Ryan gave up one run and two hits, including Angel Berroa’s RBI double to left-center. The left-hander, who skipped the World Baseball Classic to work on his mechanics, has a 9.00 ERA this spring.

Gaston said he might consider making Scott Downs the closer and putting Ryan “somewhere else for a while and go from there". He said he wants to see how Ryan does in his final two spring appearances.

“I haven’t checked the velocity yet,” Gaston said, “but it looked like it might have been down today. So there are still some concerns about him.”

Ryan said he’s moving in the right direction.

“The runs are just (from) pitching behind,” he said. “Pitch behind in counts and you get in predictable counts. Aside from that there were some good things that came out of today.”

Andy Pettitte worked 6 2-3 innings for the Yankees, allowing one run and five hits. The left-hander struck out seven and walked none.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:50 pm

Joey Devine failed to complete his scheduled inning Monday and said afterwards that his elbow "didn't feel quite right."

Devine didn't have his usual velocity today, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, so it appears rather likely that he's DL bound. That would leave Brad Ziegler with all of the save opportunities in Oakland. Barring a late pickup, Andrew Bailey could win a spot in the bullpen.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby metsfan12 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:05 pm

converge241 wrote:
Joey Devine failed to complete his scheduled inning Monday and said afterwards that his elbow "didn't feel quite right."

Devine didn't have his usual velocity today, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, so it appears rather likely that he's DL bound. That would leave Brad Ziegler with all of the save opportunities in Oakland. Barring a late pickup, Andrew Bailey could win a spot in the bullpen.

Oh that is just great. Now all I need is Street to be named the closer to completely blow me out of the save race.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 18 and 1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
18 and 1 wrote:Why wouldn't they turn to someone like Perry? After all he was a 20 something pick in the first round last year. Maybe inexperience can be used as an excuse, but I doubt if anyone in the organization has more upside for the position than Perry.

You don't think that would be rushing him? Perry is 22 and has all of 12 professional IP under his belt. Send him to AAA and let him get his feet wet. If he does well there and Lyon is struggling he certainly is an option.

Ryan Perry-R- Tigers Mar. 29 - 10:02 am et

Tigers manager Jim Leyland admitted to being impressed with 2008 first-round pick Ryan Perry on Saturday.

Perry is working with a 0.93 ERA this spring and appears likely to make the Tigers' final roster. "I've been very impressed with his non-shakability," Leyland said. "He also threw some nasty sliders. That's electric stuff."
Source: MLive.com
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bcfisk » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Chris Perez has been sent to the minors, I posted it in the player updates forum. Looks like Motte has the job in St. Louis.
"I can't explain it ... things happened so fast. I felt myself not penetrating, so I tried to go the right and it wasn't there."

-Steve McNair, after a failed QB sneak
bcfisk
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby metsfan12 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:12 pm

bcfisk wrote:Chris Perez has been sent to the minors, I posted it in the player updates forum. Looks like Motte has the job in St. Louis.

You're a little late with that news buddy.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mt99808 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:20 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Brewers placed RHP Trevor Hoffman on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 27, with a strained right oblique muscle.
Hoffman will miss at least the first four games of the season, with Carlos Villanueva likely serving as the Brewers' temporary closer. This is just the second time in 16 seasons that Hoffman has landed on the DL.
Related: Carlos Villanueva

Villanueva worth a pick up?

Villanueva and Downs; are these guys 'worth' more than elite setup men who are stuck behind good closers (Arrendondo, Kuo, Balfour, etc)?
I guess my question is, is it better to end up middle of the pack in saves, and roll with great setup men for their ratios and K/9? Or, to drop players like this and go for top of the pack in saves, but risking your ERA, WHIP, and K numbers?

Downs' ERA and WHIP have been very very good the last 2 years. He gives a little back on K:BB but nothing thats going to really hurt you.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers