2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:53 am

I would hope given the way they've jerked Morrow around he will have some breathing room as closer... He will clearly be the most talented pitcher in the 'pen... But yeah, a healthy Cordero would probably be next in line, followed by Aardsma or Lowe - whoever is pitching better at the time. But I have a hard time seeing Morrow lose the job early on and I don't think Chad Cordero is worth a pickup unless you're in a league with a really deep bench.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:56 am

Assuming he's healthy, Morrow should hold the closers job. He's got very good stuff and was lights-out last year in the bullpen (as opposed to his mediocre numbers last year as an SP). Cordero, Aardsma, et al. have very little chance of displacing a healthy Morrow, but of course anything is possible.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Mighty Men » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Does anyone know of any confirmation that Arredondo or Shields is the backup closer for the Angels?

I keep hearing Arredondo, but I have no actual manager or organization confirmation of that.
The Mighty Men
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tiggis » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 pm

The Mighty Men wrote:Does anyone know of any confirmation that Arredondo or Shields is the backup closer for the Angels?

I keep hearing Arredondo, but I have no actual manager or organization confirmation of that.

My guess would be Arredondo.

I say this because Shields has so much value in his current role.. and I remember somewhere that his past attempts to close were kinda poopy.

Take it with a grain of salt though, Havok has Shields as next in line and he usually has solid logic behind that reasoning.
Fantasy Angel
Yes I am a southern girl.
Yes that is my photo,
Yes I can kick your butt in Fantasy Baseball,
Fantasy Angel's Sure Fire Breakout/Post Hype Player
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=404816
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:00 pm

tiggis wrote:
The Mighty Men wrote:Does anyone know of any confirmation that Arredondo or Shields is the backup closer for the Angels?

My guess would be Arredondo.

I say this because Shields has so much value in his current role.. and I remember somewhere that his past attempts to close were kinda poopy.

Take it with a grain of salt though, Havok has Shields as next in line and he usually has solid logic behind that reasoning.

I think on an interm basis that it would be easier for the Angels to use Shields for spot duty as I think is the case here with Fuentes. Now, if Fuentes would be gone for an extended time period or something like then I think Arredondo would get the job.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby 18 and 1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:10 pm

tiggis wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Geek wrote:Detroit sounds like a prime candidate to trade for a closer.

i don't think so, they went out and got a free agent closer in lyon so i doubt they'll go get another closer. yes lyon is horrible but i think they'll stick with him and back him up with rodney until zumaya returns. as long as he gets the job done, they'll put up with him like they did with todd jones.

Agreed.

As long as he keeps getting saves Lyon has a job as closer.

Ghetto saves are saves..Until you see some high profile failtures from Brandon he is in like cement.

Why wouldn't they turn to someone like Perry? After all he was a 20 something pick in the first round last year. Maybe inexperience can be used as an excuse, but I doubt if anyone in the organization has more upside for the position than Perry.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:21 pm

18 and 1 wrote:Why wouldn't they turn to someone like Perry? After all he was a 20 something pick in the first round last year. Maybe inexperience can be used as an excuse, but I doubt if anyone in the organization has more upside for the position than Perry.

You don't think that would be rushing him? Perry is 22 and has all of 12 professional IP under his belt. Send him to AAA and let him get his feet wet. If he does well there and Lyon is struggling he certainly is an option.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby 18 and 1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
18 and 1 wrote:Why wouldn't they turn to someone like Perry? After all he was a 20 something pick in the first round last year. Maybe inexperience can be used as an excuse, but I doubt if anyone in the organization has more upside for the position than Perry.

You don't think that would be rushing him? Perry is 22 and has all of 12 professional IP under his belt. Send him to AAA and let him get his feet wet. If he does well there and Lyon is struggling he certainly is an option.

Normally I would say I agree with you with all things being equal, but sometimes some are more equal than others.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tiggis » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:50 pm

18 and 1 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

Normally I would say I agree with you with all things being equal, but sometimes some are more equal than others.

I think the biggest reason is that they payed Lyon and organizations dont like being made to look silly, and dont like to give the impression that they did not give Lyon a fair chance.

Also as talented as this kid is... throwing a young kid like this to the wolves so to speak can really mess with his mental makeup and could have long term effects in his career.

At the end of the day a save is a save....and it is not like they did not know what they paid for when they aquired B.Lyon.
Fantasy Angel
Yes I am a southern girl.
Yes that is my photo,
Yes I can kick your butt in Fantasy Baseball,
Fantasy Angel's Sure Fire Breakout/Post Hype Player
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=404816
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Brewers placed RHP Trevor Hoffman on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to March 27, with a strained right oblique muscle.
Hoffman will miss at least the first four games of the season, with Carlos Villanueva likely serving as the Brewers' temporary closer. This is just the second time in 16 seasons that Hoffman has landed on the DL.
Related: Carlos Villanueva

Villanueva worth a pick up?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers