2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:12 am

NZ Eff wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:
I predicted Gregg would close for the Cubs over Marmol in mid- February.

Link?

;-7

yee of little faith

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=368814&p=2956438#p2956438

NZ Eff wrote:Gregg will close to start the season but I see him struggling in Chicago in that role. Marmol will take over at some point but both Gregg and Marmol will be over valued come draft day. I would stay away from both in standard leagues unless you get them in the later rounds.

Totally agree. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:08 am

Trojan Pony wrote:How secure is Lyons' grasp on the Detroit job? And how certain is it that Rodney is next in line?

Not Very and Probably, especially with Zumaya on the DL. Perry is the only other candidate and it's not even a given he breaks camp with the team.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Geek » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:21 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Trojan Pony wrote:How secure is Lyons' grasp on the Detroit job? And how certain is it that Rodney is next in line?

Not Very and Probably, especially with Zumaya on the DL. Perry is the only other candidate and it's not even a given he breaks camp with the team.

Detroit sounds like a prime candidate to trade for a closer.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:48 am

Any updates on the Lindstrom/Nunez situation.

Is Lind going to be ready to start the season? Is it even worth holding on to Nunez at this point anymore?
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby West » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:59 am

Slow Pitch wrote:Any updates on the Lindstrom/Nunez situation.

Is Lind going to be ready to start the season? Is it even worth holding on to Nunez at this point anymore?

I think you're looking at a week on the DL if Marlins want to be on the safe side with Lindstrom. The Marlins have kept him out of major league st games in case they have to make a retroactive DL date. If he's ready for the season then Nunez has little value.

That said, I'm holding onto Nunez in deeper leagues - he's been good for 3 saves this spring and will get the better share of the ops in the time being. I'm leary of Lindstrom, you never know about a pitcher with any kind of shoulder or elbow problems. Hopefully you can vulture 2 or 3 saves out of Nunez in early April, then see how the whole situation plays out.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby tiggis » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:26 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
tiggis wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:morrow lacks the control to have a 1.19 whip. i say 1.30+ whip is more likely.

Last year he had a 1.15 whip.

Last years line:

64ip/3wins/10saves/3.36era/1.15whip

Did he lose his control this winter? Or doth we speak from amongst our rear?

it's basically impossible to have a 4.73 BB/9 and sustain a WHIP anywhere near that low. He had an unsustainably low 5.56 H/9 due to an .218 BABIP. Once that regresses he'll end up with a whip around 1.35 IMO. It'd take some pretty big leaps in control for him to return to last years level.

BABIP is not as valuable a stat for predicting closers performance.
I think the stats show he lacks control as he tires, not control for 1 inning (He has had trouble in games last year with low blood sugar - Type 1 diabetes which they now say he has better control of).

His line when he was just closing is more like 1.78era/.78whip with 23ks and 8 walks over 16.8 innings.

Even factoring in a return to 3.0 babip if his other stats stay steady he would not jump up to 1.30+

You might end up being right by the end of the year, but we also might be seeing a very special pitcher who was made to be a closer finally find his nitch.
Fantasy Angel
Yes I am a southern girl.
Yes that is my photo,
Yes I can kick your butt in Fantasy Baseball,
Fantasy Angel's Sure Fire Breakout/Post Hype Player
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=404816
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:31 am

Geek wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

i don't think so, they went out and got a free agent closer in lyon so i doubt they'll go get another closer. yes lyon is horrible but i think they'll stick with him and back him up with rodney until zumaya returns. as long as he gets the job done, they'll put up with him like they did with todd jones.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby tiggis » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:34 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
Geek wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

i don't think so, they went out and got a free agent closer in lyon so i doubt they'll go get another closer. yes lyon is horrible but i think they'll stick with him and back him up with rodney until zumaya returns. as long as he gets the job done, they'll put up with him like they did with todd jones.

Agreed.

As long as he keeps getting saves Lyon has a job as closer.

Ghetto saves are saves..Until you see some high profile failtures from Brandon he is in like cement.
Fantasy Angel
Yes I am a southern girl.
Yes that is my photo,
Yes I can kick your butt in Fantasy Baseball,
Fantasy Angel's Sure Fire Breakout/Post Hype Player
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=404816
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rotoquest » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:58 am

tiggis wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
tiggis wrote:
Last year he had a 1.15 whip.

Last years line:

64ip/3wins/10saves/3.36era/1.15whip

Did he lose his control this winter? Or doth we speak from amongst our rear?

it's basically impossible to have a 4.73 BB/9 and sustain a WHIP anywhere near that low. He had an unsustainably low 5.56 H/9 due to an .218 BABIP. Once that regresses he'll end up with a whip around 1.35 IMO. It'd take some pretty big leaps in control for him to return to last years level.

BABIP is not as valuable a stat for predicting closers performance.
I think the stats show he lacks control as he tires, not control for 1 inning (He has had trouble in games last year with low blood sugar - Type 1 diabetes which they now say he has better control of).

His line when he was just closing is more like 1.78era/.78whip with 23ks and 8 walks over 16.8 innings.

Even factoring in a return to 3.0 babip if his other stats stay steady he would not jump up to 1.30+

You might end up being right by the end of the year, but we also might be seeing a very special pitcher who was made to be a closer finally find his nitch.

I like the analysis, and I also think he will be a stud closer if given the opportunity, but has anyone from the mariner's front office confirmed morrow's claim yet?
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:38 am

what do you guys think happens to chad cordero when he's fully healed and ready to join the team? if morrow is less than stellar, could they go to cordero?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers