2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Lumberjack » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Jshwon wrote:I have Hoffman as my 2nd closer with Jenks. With the DL concerns should I pick up Villanueva or McClung?

Looks like it's Villanueva..

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 731&spln=1
Lumberjack
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:58 pm

Zhangman1 wrote:
aaronharangatang wrote:Looks like Morrow is going to close.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/m ... tml#039856

Kinda surprised by the "For Good" part. It makes sense this year in that the Mariners need a closer. But what happens with Josh Fields now? Just seems in the long run that Morrow is worth more starting.

I'm not sure that the source is telling us anything but the fact that Morrow wants to close. To me it looks more like a CBC as the regular season approaches. Obviously Morrow will get a shot.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby Zhangman1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:02 pm

West wrote:
Zhangman1 wrote:
aaronharangatang wrote:Looks like Morrow is going to close.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/m ... tml#039856

Kinda surprised by the "For Good" part. It makes sense this year in that the Mariners need a closer. But what happens with Josh Fields now? Just seems in the long run that Morrow is worth more starting.

I'm not sure that the source is telling us anything but the fact that Morrow wants to close. To me it looks more like a CBC as the regular season approaches. Obviously Morrow will get a shot.

If it's CBC, then Morrow is gonna be the man b/c frankly the rest of the pen stinks. I'm quite certain he'll stay in the pen all year but I'm not certain he'll stay a closer forever. I think he and the Mariners may try to stretch him out to a starter one more time this offseason. The odds of this would be higher if Josh Fields performs as advertised.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby cordscords » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:11 pm

Perez with a clean 1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K inning. Motte went 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K. Motte still probably has a little bit of a lead, but expect it to be CBC.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:26 am

How secure is Lyons' grasp on the Detroit job? And how certain is it that Rodney is next in line?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZ Eff » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:01 am

MotorCityKitties wrote:
Cubs manager Lou Piniella said Sunday that he's picked Kevin Gregg over Carlos Marmol as his team's closer.
Obviously, we overestimated Piniella in thinking that March wouldn't make the difference. Marmol has been the far more effective pitcher than Gregg two years running, and while Gregg does have the experience, he also blew nine saves in 38 chances last season. Marmol has only been charged with three blown saves while collecting eight saves and 46 holds the last two years. He's clearly the future for the Cubs. To put that on hold for a mediocrity like Gregg is just a bizarre decision.

It looks like rotoworld is bitter they were wrong. Many sites and newspapers were predicting a 60% chance that Gregg would be the closer. It's hardly a "bizarre" decision.

Pouliot has no idea. Last year he did the same with Wood / Marmol and now once again he lets his heart rule his head.

I predicted Gregg would close for the Cubs over Marmol in mid- February.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jcook3127 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:06 am

NZ Eff wrote:
MotorCityKitties wrote:
Cubs manager Lou Piniella said Sunday that he's picked Kevin Gregg over Carlos Marmol as his team's closer.
Obviously, we overestimated Piniella in thinking that March wouldn't make the difference. Marmol has been the far more effective pitcher than Gregg two years running, and while Gregg does have the experience, he also blew nine saves in 38 chances last season. Marmol has only been charged with three blown saves while collecting eight saves and 46 holds the last two years. He's clearly the future for the Cubs. To put that on hold for a mediocrity like Gregg is just a bizarre decision.

It looks like rotoworld is bitter they were wrong. Many sites and newspapers were predicting a 60% chance that Gregg would be the closer. It's hardly a "bizarre" decision.

Yep...this is true. It's a situation I avoided in all my drafts this year and I'm glad I did...Marmol is a very nice pitcher but for his ADP that had disappointment all over it.
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:22 am

NZ Eff wrote:
MotorCityKitties wrote:

Pouliot has no idea. Last year he did the same with Wood / Marmol and now once again he lets his heart rule his head.

No surprise. I always said its Gregg.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:09 am

NZ Eff wrote:

Link?

;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby NZ Eff » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:31 am

AussieDodger wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:

Link?

;-7

yee of little faith

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=368814&p=2956438#p2956438
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers