2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:16 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
:-? Do you have a source on that or just speculation?

isn't he starting games for the Cubs this upcoming spring training? I mean he was a starting pitcher in the minors. Going into the season he'll be in the bullpen but a couple of years from now the Cubs won't resort to using him as a middle reliever no way.

Right now Marshall is the leading candidate for the 5th spot in the rotation.
And I assume that Harden will be limited to 5-6 innings, to keep him healthy, so that really compicates, how the Cubs pen will look like.

Don't know what Lou has in mind, but I would use Gregg and Marmol in the 8-9, dictated by what part of the order comin up to bat.
It would not be a comitee, but could mean about a 70-30 spit toward Marmol to close.
(I'll explane the reasoning behind that if necessary)

yes but he is destined for the rotation
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby siQ_innovation » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:19 am

Is Chris Ray really the closer in Baltimore?? Everywhere I read, it's George Sherill. Hmm...

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:33 am

The Rays brought Izzy in. He has to make the team and be healthy, but if he does and Percy gets injured they could go to him. I wouldn't draft him, but keep an eye on the situation
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Charette » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:47 am

Great post as always. Thanks. As was mentioned in the previous post , I've also read where Sherrill will be the Oriole's closer. He was great in the first half last year and an unbelievable value pick.
That long appearance in the All-Star game messed him up leading into the 2nd half.
I'm looking for news about the Rockies. Wil Street or Corpas close ? I read somewhere where they had Corpas as the closer.
And I would love to hear news about Josh Fields from Mariner's fans.
Getting late in one of my slow drafts, and as usual I'm looking for bargain basement closers.
Cardinals news would be great also.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:31 am

siQ_innovation wrote:Is Chris Ray really the closer in Baltimore?? Everywhere I read, it's George Sherill. Hmm...

I'm confident Ray is the better investment for the year and will close if healthy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby kab21 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:04 am

Havok1517 wrote:
siQ_innovation wrote:Is Chris Ray really the closer in Baltimore?? Everywhere I read, it's George Sherill. Hmm...

I'm confident Ray is the better investment for the year and will close if healthy.

Doesn't mean that Ray will be the opening day closer though. But I see it playing out similar to BJ Ryan last year where Ray once he shows that he is healthy then he will be the closer. Likely within the first month or two imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:21 pm

kab21 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

Doesn't mean that Ray will be the opening day closer though. But I see it playing out similar to BJ Ryan last year where Ray once he shows that he is healthy then he will be the closer. Likely within the first month or two imo.

If Sherrill pitches anything close to how he did in the 2nd half in ST, which was horrible, it will.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby SteveJeltzPhanClub » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:05 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:The Rays brought Izzy in. He has to make the team and be healthy, but if he does and Percy gets injured they could go to him. I wouldn't draft him, but keep an eye on the situation

I'll be monitoring this closely. Izzy isn't that far removed from being a very solid closer- if (and I understand that is a big if) he can rebound from his injuries, he could very well be the guy in TB.
SteveJeltzPhanClub
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:30 pm

SteveJeltzPhanClub wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:The Rays brought Izzy in. He has to make the team and be healthy, but if he does and Percy gets injured they could go to him. I wouldn't draft him, but keep an eye on the situation

I'll be monitoring this closely. Izzy isn't that far removed from being a very solid closer- if (and I understand that is a big if) he can rebound from his injuries, he could very well be the guy in TB.

Just curious why he wouldn't pick a team like the Mariners where he might be the closer right away if healthy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby neoforce » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:37 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
SteveJeltzPhanClub wrote:

Just curious why he wouldn't pick a team like the Mariners where he might be the closer right away if healthy.

Maybe he wants a chance for a ring and figures the Rays have a better chance than Seattle?
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers