2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:00 pm

Good news for Ray owners from CBS:

News: Orioles RP George Sherrill, who manager Dave Trembley named the closer at the beginning of spring training, told the Baltimore Sun on Thursday that he wouldn't mind seeing Chris Ray overtake him before the start of the season. Ray, the former closer, has impressed in his return from Tommy John surgery, allowing five hits in 9 1/3 innings with nine strikeouts and a 0.00 ERA. Sherrill, on the other hand, has allowed 13 hits in 5 1/3 innings with four strikeouts and a 6.75 ERA. "He (Ray) has looked good this spring," Sherrill said. "If that's something they want to do, that's fine. All I want to do is win. I don't care what my title is."

Analysis: Sherrill's comments give Trembley an excuse to change his mind, not that he didn't already have that right. With Ray coming off major surgery, Trembley had every reason to assume Sherrill would have to hold down the job for at least the first month or two of the season. But the results this spring have shown otherwise. Sherrill and Ray will likely split saves out of the gate, with Ray gradually earning a larger percentage. Sherrill has some value in AL-only leagues and could still end up a serviceable mixed-league reliever for the first few weeks of the season, but we have a hard time believing he'll get consistent saves from start to finish. Ray, on the other hand, is now a sleeper in all Fantasy leagues, though a bottom-of-the-division team like the Orioles might provide inconsistent save opportunities.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jsphlly » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:42 pm

"Villanueva poised to fill Hoffman's void"

Also mentions Dave Bush could be considered.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby silverZ » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:47 pm

Dave Bush as a closer? You've got to be kidding me. :-b
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby smoovethug » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:49 pm

Rotoworld seems to think it's Batista in SEA.
In a game in which the Mariners gave up 16 runs, Miguel Batista threw 1 2/3 scoreless innings against the Angels on Sunday.

Of manager Don Wakamatsu's original three preferred closer candidates, only Batista has had a solid spring, posting a 4.38 ERA in 12 1/3 innings. Roy Corcoran is at 7.11, and Mark Lowe has a 6.55 ERA with 21 hits allowed and just two strikeouts in 11 innings. David Aardsma has been the Mariners' most impressive reliever and Tyler Walker has pitched well enough to make the team, but Batista seems like the logical choice to open the season as the closer.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Steve-o » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:08 am

Milw Journal beat writer Tom Haudricourt on 3/28 wrote:*Closer Trevor Hoffman remains sidelined with an oblique strain and is a near certainty to open on the DL.

*Macha said the resurgence of RHP Carlos Villanueva has him in the running to close games in place of Hoffman. Macha said Todd Coffey is another possibility but he didn't really mention Seth McClung this time.

Brewers beat writer Adam McCalvy on 3/29 wrote:- It sounds like Carlos Villanueva will fill-in for closer Trevor Hoffman to start the season, assuming Hoffman opens the year on the disabled list. Villanueva may have sealed the job with back-to-back quality outings Thursday and Friday.

Just confirming that Villanueva is the main backup and may get a few early season save opps.
Last edited by Steve-o on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zhangman1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:09 am

jsphlly wrote:"Villanueva poised to fill Hoffman's void"

Recommendation: While McClung's outing doesn't seem very good, manager Ken Macha called his outing "tremendous" and the only thing Macha didn't like was the five walks. That seems like a silly comment, but Macha appears to have taken a liking to McClung. McClung will be ready if Braden Looper or Manny Parra isn't ready to start the season in the rotation, but will probably get the closer spot until Trevor Hoffman returns if he's not in the rotation.
(Rotowire.com)

:-S :-S :-S
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:42 am

silverZ wrote:Dave Bush as a closer? You've got to be kidding me. :-b

Dave Bush was a closer when the Jays drafted him. Similar to Shaun Marcum and Brett Cecil actually.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:02 am

metsfan12 wrote:You lack the ability to think logically don't you?

Of course. That's why I predicted something about Cito, and he ended up saying exactly what I suggested a day later.

It is not logical to deduce that Downs was trusted more than Accardo last year based on Downs being used in the 8th. Pretty simple, Accardo wasn't available, so you don't know who would have been trusted more if he had been. So, you basing Downs being ahead of Accardo on Downs being used in the 8th last year is completely flawed. Your basis is analogous to someone at the beginning of last season saying that Accardo would close because he was used in the 9th more than BJ Ryan in 2007? Same story, Ryan was hurt and out, and that is the reason Accardo was used in the 9th. End of story, if you can't follow the logic I give up after this post.

I don't think you realize how Cito Gaston works. He often goes with the pitchers that he knows or is familiar with. He's done that his entire career as a manager. In fact, a criticism that people have of him is that he's always relied too much on a few guys.

Cito got this current job in June, and Scott Downs did a great job for him. Why would he decide to go with Accardo, a pitcher that wasn't even on the team when he managed, and a guy that was having a very poor spring? Seems only logical to me that he wouldn't.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Magnus_CA » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:08 am

jsphlly wrote:"Villanueva poised to fill Hoffman's void"

Don't count out Jorge Julio! I can see the brew crew wanting to keep Villanueva as a long reliever.
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby FATKID » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:31 am

metsfan12 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:That doesn't change the fact that your basis for pushing Downs was flawed.

No, it wasn't. Cito is going to use Downs because he was the team's most dependable reliever last year, just like I told you he would. Then you asked for "good info," and I gave you it.

Sounds like it is going to be BJ Ryan now anyway, don't you think? Not that his backup isn't valuable even while Ryan is closing ok.

I don't know what to think about the Jays and weird situations like this. What I do know is that you can't trust anything JP Ricciardi says about anything. There has been a lot of talk about BJ not going north with the team, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens.

I guess I might as well drop Accardo now.

My advice, as it was yesterday, would be to pick up Downs.

You lack the ability to think logically don't you? It is not logical to deduce that Downs was trusted more than Accardo last year based on Downs being used in the 8th. Pretty simple, Accardo wasn't available, so you don't know who would have been trusted more if he had been. So, you basing Downs being ahead of Accardo on Downs being used in the 8th last year is completely flawed. Your basis is analogous to someone at the beginning of last season saying that Accardo would close because he was used in the 9th more than BJ Ryan in 2007? Same story, Ryan was hurt and out, and that is the reason Accardo was used in the 9th. End of story, if you can't follow the logic I give up after this post.

Holmes.. U need da shut da hole. Trust me n dis. Weirsy got killa swag about dem Jays.. Y would Cito pitch Accardo..???!! He was awful last yr before the injury. Accardo aint goin to get one meaningful innin all yr. He stopped throwin dat spliittyy.. his best pitch... u kno what im sayin buddy. Ryan , Carlson , Downs, League , Janssen , , Camp, Tallet.. Come to think of it.. Accardo may not even make da team hommie.. Its either him or Frasor. Just seems u actin like a posa.. I'm just keepn it reall homeslice
Last edited by FATKID on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
FATKID
T-Ball Trainer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers