2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:06 pm

silverZ wrote:
Zhangman1 wrote:any chance ryan perry gets the closer job in Det this year?


I doubt it. He might get a shot if Rodney and Lyon blow 10-15 saves between them in the first 2-3 months, and Zumaya can't get healthy.


i think there's a slim chance...one thing to consider though is that Lyon and Rodney are both FA at the end of the year...so if the Tigers are out of it at the trade deadline (or even if they arent and can get a good offer) i wouldnt be surprised to see one or both of Rodney and Lyon traded.
I have zero confidence in Zumaya ever getting healthy again
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby metsfan12 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:09 pm

mweir145 wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:That was over 1.5 years ago. He hasn't proven himself to be the same pitcher yet.


If you say so, but I think I have a pretty good read on this one. Cito used Downs several times for saves last year when BJ couldn't go (5 saves in total), and I expect him to go with his most dependable reliever just like he did last year. Pick up who you want, but I'll stick with Downs for now.


You can think you have some sort of good read on it all you want but you should atleast get some good info. Of those 5 saves he had last year they were all early in the year and only 2 of them were full inning saves. One of those 2 was in the 10th inning after BJ Ryan had pitched the 9th. So he had one time he was actually used as the closer and got the save. The 3 partial inning saves just show what he really is, a very good lefty specialist. My point was that what Cito did last year doesn't prove anything because Accardo was not available. I guess you felt the need to repeat that Downs was used in the 8th last year again for some reason though. So you have some proof that Downs MIGHT be the guy when Accardo isn't available. Great read.

I'm basically a walking encyclopedia of Jays information and most people know that here, but fine, here's some "good info:"

Gaston suggested he expects Ryan would let him know if he doesn't feel he can answer the bell as the Jays closer by the time the regular season begins in a little over a week.

The manager said he would have left-hander Scott Downs slide into Ryan's spot should that eventuality arise.

http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/servl ... ys-ryan-27

Do you still want to challenge my read on the situation?


That doesn't change the fact that your basis for pushing Downs was flawed. Sounds like it is going to be BJ Ryan now anyway, don't you think? Not that his backup isn't valuable even while Ryan is closing ok. You know he is going to go down at some point. I guess I might as well drop Accardo now. Does Lowe really have a shot at closing over Aardsma? Lowe was crap last year when he was in the running for some saves.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby mweir145 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:50 pm

metsfan12 wrote:That doesn't change the fact that your basis for pushing Downs was flawed.

No, it wasn't. Cito is going to use Downs because he was the team's most dependable reliever last year, just like I told you he would. Then you asked for "good info," and I gave you it.

Sounds like it is going to be BJ Ryan now anyway, don't you think? Not that his backup isn't valuable even while Ryan is closing ok.

I don't know what to think about the Jays and weird situations like this. What I do know is that you can't trust anything JP Ricciardi says about anything. There has been a lot of talk about BJ not going north with the team, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens.

I guess I might as well drop Accardo now.

My advice, as it was yesterday, would be to pick up Downs.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby 1010011010 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:06 pm

What's going on with Corpas and Street?? When is a decision supposed to be made?
1010011010
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 337
Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Zhangman1 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:09 pm

1010011010 wrote:What's going on with Corpas and Street?? When is a decision supposed to be made?


no clue who's gonna be named. Hurdle is gonna do it sometime next week by what i read
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2068
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Zhangman1 wrote:
1010011010 wrote:What's going on with Corpas and Street?? When is a decision supposed to be made?


no clue who's gonna be named. Hurdle is gonna do it sometime next week by what i read


Street with another perfect 9th today. Hmmmmm
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11420
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby metsfan12 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:50 pm

mweir145 wrote:
metsfan12 wrote:That doesn't change the fact that your basis for pushing Downs was flawed.

No, it wasn't. Cito is going to use Downs because he was the team's most dependable reliever last year, just like I told you he would. Then you asked for "good info," and I gave you it.

Sounds like it is going to be BJ Ryan now anyway, don't you think? Not that his backup isn't valuable even while Ryan is closing ok.

I don't know what to think about the Jays and weird situations like this. What I do know is that you can't trust anything JP Ricciardi says about anything. There has been a lot of talk about BJ not going north with the team, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens.

I guess I might as well drop Accardo now.

My advice, as it was yesterday, would be to pick up Downs.


You lack the ability to think logically don't you? It is not logical to deduce that Downs was trusted more than Accardo last year based on Downs being used in the 8th. Pretty simple, Accardo wasn't available, so you don't know who would have been trusted more if he had been. So, you basing Downs being ahead of Accardo on Downs being used in the 8th last year is completely flawed. Your basis is analogous to someone at the beginning of last season saying that Accardo would close because he was used in the 9th more than BJ Ryan in 2007? Same story, Ryan was hurt and out, and that is the reason Accardo was used in the 9th. End of story, if you can't follow the logic I give up after this post.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Zhangman1 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:26 pm

with hoffman down, anyone know if its gonna be Villanueva or McClung? or CCBC

I read varying reports
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2068
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:28 pm

Zhangman1 wrote:with hoffman down, anyone know if its gonna be Villanueva or McClung? or CCBC

I read varying reports


Well Villa has peeled off a few clean innings in a row, and McClung pitched 5 crappy innings the other day.
I'm thinking McClung will be the swingman.
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11358
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:29 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
smoovethug wrote:
Geek wrote:
In other words, Morrow has absolutely no fantasy value. !+)


I wouldn't go that far at all. When he gets right I expect him to be put into the rotation where he'll definitely have value.


nope he has no value whatsoever, anyone who drafted him wasted a pick and might as well drop him.


Especially if you drafted him in the 11th or 12th, wow what a waste of a pick. }:-) :-B
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11358
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joiingds, neuronss and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
LA Dodgers at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact