2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby mikerobbjk » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:55 pm

Per Rotoworld

Francisco Cordero's lousy spring continued Thursday, as he gave up three runs -- one earned -- in two-thirds of an inning against the Twins.
Cordero has been more hittable all spring with his velocity down, but it was his command that was the big problem tonight. He walked two and threw a wild pitch before coming out. It's starting to become hard to believe that he's healthy.


Who's next in line in Cin?
Last edited by mikerobbjk on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikerobbjk
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 136
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:56 pm

is it stormy time? :-o :-o
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Cordero, add yet another log onto the woodpile of the uneasy closer jobs this spring. 8-o
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 398
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Queens, performing The Feats of Strength

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby smoovethug » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:12 pm

I assumed Burton would be ahead of Weathers. Rhodes is another guy with experience who they could turn to, though he's best suited as a lefty specialist.
Image

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 8955
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 6 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Halladay Season

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:21 pm

yea i thought so too but then stormy has been the closer there in the past so i wouldn't be surprised if they go with a veteran with closing experience there.
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:12 am

T-Bone Costanza wrote:Cordero, add yet another log onto the woodpile of the uneasy closer jobs this spring. 8-o


I'd say he is safe. :-°
Don't forget that its still ST.
And even if he will suck early, Dusty will stick w Cordero for the foreseeable future.
He is an established closer, and barring an injury, he will pitch better, and the Reds are paying him $12 mill/season to be their closer, for the next 3 years.
Image
the awesome sig by soty


"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1849
Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:41 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
T-Bone Costanza wrote:Cordero, add yet another log onto the woodpile of the uneasy closer jobs this spring. 8-o


I'd say he is safe. :-°
Don't forget that its still ST.
And even if he will suck early, Dusty will stick w Cordero for the foreseeable future.
He is an established closer, and barring an injury, he will pitch better, and the Reds are paying him $12 mill/season to be their closer, for the next 3 years.


Yeah, I would speculate he's safe now, until it gets worse. However he's no longer the lock he was before that rotoworld post, meaning that if you are drafting the possibility that he's injured now has to be hovering in your thoughts when considering Cordero.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 398
Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Queens, performing The Feats of Strength

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby RotOAddicT » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:34 am

Roto World:

B.J. Ryan's fastball has been clocked as low as 84 miles per hour this spring, and the Blue Jays' closer hasn't shown much improvement.
The dip in velocity is not thought to be injury-related and manager Cito Gaston is beginning to broach the idea of using another guy in the ninth inning. "I think (Ryan is) the type of guy, if he feels like he can't help us, he'll just say maybe use someone else," Gaston said Thursday. "He might not say it, but he understands." Jeremy Accardo might be the best bet to fill in, as he's done it in the past.

What you guys think? Accardo Or Scott Downs?


Also, Do you guys think Matt lindstrom is going to be ready for opening day?
Image
RotOAddicT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 52
Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:44 am

I think a mix of the two? Depending on who is hot.cold and left or right @ bat

As Ryan owner I am quite concerned, probably too much
Trainer of Dolphins
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 66
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 11 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Heaven, no it's IOWA

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Magnus_CA » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:54 am

RotOAddicT wrote:Roto World:

B.J. Ryan's fastball has been clocked as low as 84 miles per hour this spring, and the Blue Jays' closer hasn't shown much improvement.
The dip in velocity is not thought to be injury-related and manager Cito Gaston is beginning to broach the idea of using another guy in the ninth inning. "I think (Ryan is) the type of guy, if he feels like he can't help us, he'll just say maybe use someone else," Gaston said Thursday. "He might not say it, but he understands." Jeremy Accardo might be the best bet to fill in, as he's done it in the past.

What you guys think? Accardo Or Scott Downs?



How about Carlson?
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2081
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: scarnicease and 7 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Pittsburgh at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Houston at Texas
(8:05 pm)

Sunday, Aug. 31

Cleveland at Cody
(8:07 pm)
indoors

Monday, Sep. 22

Arizona at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact