2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:07 pm

Anything new in Milwaukee. I've heard Seth McClung's name thrown around if he isn't in the rotation.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:05 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I believe Rothenthal (sp?) at foxsports reported Aardsma was in the lead for right now.

Yes that is correct ;-D
He has like a 10/4 K/BB in spring training, if he can keep that ratio up all season he might be a success.

Pogotheostrich wrote:Anything new in Milwaukee. I've heard Seth McClung's name thrown around if he isn't in the rotation.

They are anticipating McClung to be required as the 5th starter if Looper isn't ready to start the season.
He is really terrible, so I hope the Brewers don't get sucked into using him as closer.
Villanueva FTW ;-)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:59 pm

Sherrill roughed up again today. .1 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 2 ER, while Ray had another scoreless inning (albeit with 2 BB's). I don't see Sherrill lasting long at closer at all.

Motte also continues to be strong. 1 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby silverZ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:25 pm

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/ar ... p&c_id=tor

Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston indicated that Ryan's pitches have been regularly registering between 84-85 mph this spring, and touching 86-87 mph on occasion. Last season, the left-hander stayed between 86-90 mph in his third year with Toronto. Arnsberg has been working with Ryan on his pitch mechanics, trying to find the missing pitch speed.

I hope it's nothing serious since I'm counting on him as my #1 closer. It's hard to say who would take over for him if he had to go on the DL. Accardo, Carleson, Downs, League are all options.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Sherrill roughed up again today. .1 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 2 ER, while Ray had another scoreless inning (albeit with 2 BB's). I don't see Sherrill lasting long at closer at all.

I just cut Corpas and picked up Ray. Hopefully Sherrill keeps getting bombed.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby silverZ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:45 pm

It's only a matter of time until Sherrill is sent back to being a leftie specilist/setup guy. He had a 1.73 WHIP vs righties last year.

vs RHB - 35 ip, 25 hits, 26 bb, 28 k
vs LHB - 18 ip, 12 hits, 7 bb, 30 k
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby jcook3127 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:53 pm

Yea...but if I'm not mistaken, when Ray went down INITIALLY..didn't they use a left/right closing approach with like Jamie Walker and That submarine thrower (totally blanking on names)

It would not at all surprise me to see Sherill for April...and when Ray appears to be back, the O's using both depending on whether or not the matchup dictates a lefty or a righty...Ray has been much more affective vs Righties than lefties in his 150 big league appearences..

But..this is coming from a depressed Sherill owner...it's also very likely that Sherill just continues to stink it up and they go with Ray full time..
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:42 pm

jcook3127 wrote:Yea...but if I'm not mistaken, when Ray went down INITIALLY..didn't they use a left/right closing approach with like Jamie Walker and That submarine thrower (totally blanking on names)

It would not at all surprise me to see Sherill for April...and when Ray appears to be back, the O's using both depending on whether or not the matchup dictates a lefty or a righty...Ray has been much more affective vs Righties than lefties in his 150 big league appearences..

But..this is coming from a depressed Sherill owner...it's also very likely that Sherill just continues to stink it up and they go with Ray full time..

You're thinking of Chad Bradford, who is no longer with Ba,l teaming up with Walker. I honestly think the only thinking keeping Sherrill at the closer's spot is that the team and Ray himself doesn't feel quite ready to close right now. But when Ray does feel comfortable I think he is the lone closer with Sherrill either traded or regulated to lefty setup duty. They really should have traded him when they had the chance last year. It is also the best move for the team having Ray closing and Sherrill setting up. The Orioles actually have some very talented bullpen arms in their organization, if they could stay healthy, would really help their thin rotation.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 137)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:47 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I believe Rothenthal (sp?) at foxsports reported Aardsma was in the lead for right now.

Yes that is correct ;-D
He has like a 10/4 K/BB in spring training, if he can keep that ratio up all season he might be a success.

David Aardsma fanned two in a perfect inning Thursday, giving him a 2.45 ERA in 11 innings this spring.
It's not even up for argument: Aardsma has thrown the best of any of Seattle's relievers this spring. He'd be a very tough guy to trust in the closer's role, and it's still rather unlikely that he'll have the job at the beginning of the season. However, he's the one guy capable of running away with the spot, assuming that Brandon Morrow does end up in the rotation. rotoworld.com

Moving Morrow back to the bullpen would be the one of the dumbest moves Seattle could make. He has more potential starting than any other starter in their organization (save maybe Felix and Aumont). If Seattle ever wants to be good again, they need Morrow firmly entrenched as a starter as long as he stays healthy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 137)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:58 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

Yes that is correct ;-D

David Aardsma fanned two in a perfect inning Thursday, giving him a 2.45 ERA in 11 innings this spring.
It's not even up for argument: Aardsma has thrown the best of any of Seattle's relievers this spring. He'd be a very tough guy to trust in the closer's role, and it's still rather unlikely that he'll have the job at the beginning of the season. However, he's the one guy capable of running away with the spot, assuming that Brandon Morrow does end up in the rotation. rotoworld.com

I was just about to post that. Aardsma pitched a lovely clean inning with 2 Ks, and Lowe gave up 3 hits and 2 runs in an inning.

Here's a biggie............

Villanueva a no-hit, no run inning today ----- McClung 5 (FIVE) innings 4 hits, 5 walks, 3 runs.
I'm not sure they'd be giving their closer 5 innings at this time of the spring.

:-L
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers