2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:02 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:why is Motte volatile?


Lets see...he's never closed in the majors before, he's a rookie, he's only had 11 IP in the majors, has only 1 MLB worthy pitch (albeit a high 90's fastball), most people believe that Perez is more talented, LaRussa could easily go with the vet Franklin, St. Louis has yet to announce a closer yet, final roster moves haven't been announced, spring training isn't over, and the season has yet to begin.

= :-t
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8512
(Past Year: 116)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby tiggis » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:28 pm

If you disagree with a listing please present your careful, fact checked argument.

We are all looking for that razor thin edge here, and because information is so thin there can be a difference of opinion even between the most knowledgable and well read Fantasy experts.

I do not think Hav or anyone is claiming to be the final authority, but I also think his list will turn out to be at least 90% accurate for opening day.
Fantasy Angel
Yes I am a southern girl.
Yes that is my photo,
Yes I can kick your butt in Fantasy Baseball,
Fantasy Angel's Sure Fire Breakout/Post Hype Player
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=404816
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 184
Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Atlanta, Georiga

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:57 pm

ZOMG the large question mark has been replaced by David Aardsma!

I was hoping the Mariners went with the question mark, I wanted to see what it's off-speed pitches were like ;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby silverZ » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:57 pm

Does anyone know if Devine will be ready for opening day?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2963
(Past Year: 73)
Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:03 pm

silverZ wrote:Does anyone know if Devine will be ready for opening day?


He's pitching Friday against the Padres.

I think it's like 70-30 that he'll be ready.
If not, oh well we move on to someone else.
Ziegler could be a disaster this year BTW :-o
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby metsfan12 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:25 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Interesting that something could be considered incorrect when the season has yet to begin and depth charts haven't even been finalized. There is a lot that can happen to change even the most stable bullpen. Anything prior to final roster announcements is simply pure speculation based on logic, rumor, news, injury, etc. and is, in my opinion, the best and most current closer thread out there if I do say so myself. If you disagree with the order, feel free to not visit the thread.


I'm simply pointing out that this list should not be taken as gospel just like any list since it is subjective and dynamic. No need to take it personally just because I disagree with your opinion.


Nothing personal taken at all but to say something is incorrect when its practically impossible to be so at this point is without doubt incorrect in itself.


Just because no one knows doesn't mean your list can't be incorrect. It is assumed that the list is meant to represent the order in which pitchers are most likely to take over as closer as of right now. If someone is cleary more likely to be the closer than that would make your list incorrect. Some of it that you recently changed was quite obvious. I think your replies have become more and more defensive and those replies are only going to keep people from discussing and debating to some degree, which is not good for your thread IMO.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby metsfan12 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:32 pm

tiggis wrote:If you disagree with a listing please present your careful, fact checked argument.

We are all looking for that razor thin edge here, and because information is so thin there can be a difference of opinion even between the most knowledgable and well read Fantasy experts.

I do not think Hav or anyone is claiming to be the final authority, but I also think his list will turn out to be at least 90% accurate for opening day.


I beg to differ, Havok did just claim to have the best and most current closer listing in his opinion, essentially claiming to be the authority on the topic.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 436
Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:44 pm

metsfan12 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
I'm simply pointing out that this list should not be taken as gospel just like any list since it is subjective and dynamic. No need to take it personally just because I disagree with your opinion.


Nothing personal taken at all but to say something is incorrect when its practically impossible to be so at this point is without doubt incorrect in itself.


Just because no one knows doesn't mean your list can't be incorrect. It is assumed that the list is meant to represent the order in which pitchers are most likely to take over as closer as of right now. If someone is cleary more likely to be the closer than that would make your list incorrect. Some of it that you recently changed was quite obvious. I think your replies have become more and more defensive and those replies are only going to keep people from discussing and debating to some degree, which is not good for your thread IMO.


Not really, I do my best to keep the thread updated as best as I can. I think its the best because I maintain it regularly, unlike most closer threads and people with 1st hand knowledge regarding their teams post updates of closer happenings right after they hear it. Different opinions give people reading and me other view points to consider, which is welcomed. But just stating that something in incorrect without stating what that person thinks is incorrect is counter-productive.

Okay, lets end the bickering and continue the closer talk.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8512
(Past Year: 116)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:01 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Okay, lets end the bickering and continue the closer talk.


Yeah. ;-D

I appreciate your work Havok - you put me on to Arredondo last year, that was a sweet :-L
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:08 pm

This thread helps you stay just a step ahead of your leaguemates for saves. Stay tuned. :-D ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11420
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kab21 and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Sep. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cleveland at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Houston
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(9:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact