2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:48 am

Magnus_CA wrote:Who's got more value in saves going forward...Calero or Meyer?

You'd think after the disaster that was Lindstrom that Fredi Gonzalez would stick with the successful Nunez/Meyer combo until they fail.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 am

mlbtraderumors.com says the Pirates could trade Capps to the Marlins. if that happens i assume Capps would be the Marlins closer, but whos next in Pittsburgh? Grabow? Hanrahan?

Marlins & Pirates Talking Capps; Aren't Close
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 9 at 8:44am CST]

The Marlins, who have signed three relievers this week, are talking with the Pirates about trading for another. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports that the Marlins have maintained contact with the Pirates about closer Matt Capps, though the two sides are not close to a deal.
The Marlins already included Jeremy Hermida in an offer for Capps, but the Pirates declined, as they have limited interest in Hermida. As Morosi points out, both Hermida and Capps make about $2.3MM this year and will likely hit free agency after 2011, so they match up financially. However, the Pirates aren't necessarily going to move Capps, one source told Morosi.

In their quest to stengthen their bullpen, the Marlins have added Luis Ayala, Brendan Donnelly and Scott Williamson in the last week.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby AdvRider » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:17 am

djxskillz wrote:frustrating as a gonzalez owner.

+1 on that. Gonzo has been a steady source of SVs all year and now we're getting Cox-blocked.

Well, Downs is sitting on the WW because someone dropped him when he went on the DL so I'll go pull the trigger. ;-)
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby beagle » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:19 am

Although Hawkin's not the closer anymore, I am sure many still have him on their squad.

"Hawkins will take the hill to begin Thursday night's suspended game against the Nationals, the Houston Chronicle reports.
Spin: It's rare that you know exactly when a reliever will make an appearance. Those in daily transaction leagues take note.
Thu, Jul 9"

I don't recall what inning or what the score is, but I thought it could be useful for someone.
beagle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:08 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:mlbtraderumors.com says the Pirates could trade Capps to the Marlins. if that happens i assume Capps would be the Marlins closer, but whos next in Pittsburgh? Grabow? Hanrahan?

The Marlins, who have signed three relievers this week, are talking with the Pirates about trading for another. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports that the Marlins have maintained contact with the Pirates about closer Matt Capps, though the two sides are not close to a deal.
The Marlins already included Jeremy Hermida in an offer for Capps, but the Pirates declined, as they have limited interest in Hermida. As Morosi points out, both Hermida and Capps make about $2.3MM this year and will likely hit free agency after 2011, so they match up financially. However, the Pirates aren't necessarily going to move Capps, one source told Morosi.

In their quest to stengthen their bullpen, the Marlins have added Luis Ayala, Brendan Donnelly and Scott Williamson in the last week.

Grabow could be gone soon enough as well, so Hanrahan?
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Crippler » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:51 pm

converge241 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:mlbtraderumors.com says the Pirates could trade Capps to the Marlins. if that happens i assume Capps would be the Marlins closer, but whos next in Pittsburgh? Grabow? Hanrahan?

Grabow could be gone soon enough as well, so Hanrahan?

There's no way they'll rely on Hanrahan...take a look at that Game Log!

Grabow will stay if Capps goes, unless there is a 4th option that they believe in.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hot4tx » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Sergio Romo with the save for the Giants on Tuesday. I see that Brian Wilson had pitched the previous two days, so he was unavailable. But does this move Romo into the next in line? Affelt had been good and did pitch 1 1/3 the night before but not two days before. Was it just a lefty/righty matchup issue but if so doesn't that give Romo more opportunities than Howry or Affelt if Wilson were to be hurt/removed?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby BigL531 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:23 pm

Sergio Romo with the save for the Giants on Tuesday. I see that Brian Wilson had pitched the previous two days, so he was unavailable. But does this move Romo into the next in line? Affelt had been good and did pitch 1 1/3 the night before but not two days before. Was it just a lefty/righty matchup issue but if so doesn't that give Romo more opportunities than Howry or Affelt if Wilson were to be hurt/removed?

You mean on Tuesday?
BigL531
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:53 pm

looks like gonzo is out of the role for sure. he came in eight and couldn't take care of lefty killer atkins. blew the game. they should've brought in soriano there.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby spark0901 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:28 am

Any reason to be concerned about the fact that Wheeler picked up the save for Tampa today? I know Howell pitched the previous two days, but Wheeler has pitched well and has a ton of closing experience. Anything to read into this?
spark0901
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers