2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:24 pm

T-Bone Costanza wrote:Is this enough to convince you change Chris Perez's icon from :-° to :-o?

Chris Perez (shoulder) threw off a mound Monday for the first time since March 11.
Perez deemed himself ready for game action and is hoping to make six spring training appearances before Opening Day. However, while Perez was sidelined Jason Motte emerged as the leading candidate for the saves.

If the purpose of the smiley tool is a handy one-stop reference for all 32 closer jobs to use during a draft, then it failed me last night and I wasted a pick on this guy. In the end it's totally my own fault for not researching the kid better and done a rotoworld lookup on him, but with 1:30 on the clock and you're scrambling at the end, I thought I could count on that page to be more accurate.

The truth of the matter is that most people still think Perez is the arm to have in the Card pen. Whether he starts the season closing or works his way back to to job during the season. Perez is still getting drafted ahead of Motte and Franklin. With as much as LaRussa loves his vets it wouldn't be surprising for him to choose Franklin over both of them. Perez is still the smart pick for the season even if he doesn't start out as the closer. Also, spring stats are just that and the fact that Perez feels ready to pitch again should be a good thing. When it comes down to it, its a crap shoot and one that LaRussa will have control over. Perez has the best arm, Motte is one-sided, and Frankin is the experienced vet. Take your pick.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I'm a believer that pitching in the 9th inning is far more stressful than just about every inning. There have been many relievers that have had the tools to close but couldn't produce the mental fortitude to close. His stuff is good but not close to great and he has failed at closing once in the past and could do so again. Now, Qualls has closed twice during his career. Once, when Lidge struggled in Houston and once when he took over for Lyon in the final 2 weeks of last season. One was bad and one was good. But with the presence of Pena and Rauch in the bullpen (two more talented arms) and the inexperience Qualls has in closing he is not rock solid in anyway. If Rauch and Pena hasn't been stinking it up when Lyon got replaced, either of them would have been chosen over Qualls to close. Qualls did well at the end of last year and deserves to be the closer to start the season but that is all.

Qualls >>> Rauch + Pena. Even if Qualls reverts to his 07 level, he is the best pitcher in that pen and won't lose his job. Just shows how underrated Qualls is.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Geek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:06 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
T-Bone Costanza wrote:Is this enough to convince you change Chris Perez's icon from :-° to :-o?

Chris Perez (shoulder) threw off a mound Monday for the first time since March 11.
Perez deemed himself ready for game action and is hoping to make six spring training appearances before Opening Day. However, while Perez was sidelined Jason Motte emerged as the leading candidate for the saves.

If the purpose of the smiley tool is a handy one-stop reference for all 32 closer jobs to use during a draft, then it failed me last night and I wasted a pick on this guy. In the end it's totally my own fault for not researching the kid better and done a rotoworld lookup on him, but with 1:30 on the clock and you're scrambling at the end, I thought I could count on that page to be more accurate.

The truth of the matter is that most people still think Perez is the arm to have in the Card pen. Whether he starts the season closing or works his way back to to job during the season. Perez is still getting drafted ahead of Motte and Franklin. With as much as LaRussa loves his vets it wouldn't be surprising for him to choose Franklin over both of them. Perez is still the smart pick for the season even if he doesn't start out as the closer. Also, spring stats are just that and the fact that Perez feels ready to pitch again should be a good thing. When it comes down to it, its a crap shoot and one that LaRussa will have control over. Perez has the best arm, Motte is one-sided, and Frankin is the experienced vet. Take your pick.

In the drafts I've seen the past week or so, Motte is getting drafted and Perez isn't. Perez is getting cut in quite a few leagues.

I can see the argument that Perez will regain the role at some point, but he can't be considered safe if someone else is favored to start the year as closer.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Montana168 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:08 pm

#

Tue, Mar 24

The Orange County Register reports Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim CL Brian Fuentes' velocity topped out at 89 mph Monday, March 23. His ERA is 12.27 this spring.
(KFFL)

anyone jumping on the arredondo bandwagon again? i am.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Geek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:21 pm

Montana168 wrote:
#

Tue, Mar 24

The Orange County Register reports Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim CL Brian Fuentes' velocity topped out at 89 mph Monday, March 23. His ERA is 12.27 this spring.
(KFFL)

anyone jumping on the arredondo bandwagon again? i am.

Not a bad idea to handcuff the two, but Scioscia is going to give Fuentes a chance. I own Fuentes in a few leagues, and I'm monitoring the situation.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JimmyBaseball » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Geek wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

In the drafts I've seen the past week or so, Motte is getting drafted and Perez isn't. Perez is getting cut in quite a few leagues.

I can see the argument that Perez will regain the role at some point, but he can't be considered safe if someone else is favored to start the year as closer.

Here in StL based on comments by Dave Duncan and all sports talk radio, Motte has the job. Perez is likely to start the year in AAA.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:43 pm

RotOAddicT wrote:If hanrahan doesn't close due to some injury or just sucking.... would garrett mock take over?

There is still talk that Mock might be used as a starter over a RP but he Shell, and Rivera would be the best bets though none really inspire greatness in any capacity. A trade may also be possible.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:32 pm

Havok1517 wrote:The truth of the matter is that most people still think Perez is the arm to have in the Card pen. Whether he starts the season closing or works his way back to to job during the season. Perez is still getting drafted ahead of Motte and Franklin. With as much as LaRussa loves his vets it wouldn't be surprising for him to choose Franklin over both of them. Perez is still the smart pick for the season even if he doesn't start out as the closer. Also, spring stats are just that and the fact that Perez feels ready to pitch again should be a good thing. When it comes down to it, its a crap shoot and one that LaRussa will have control over. Perez has the best arm, Motte is one-sided, and Frankin is the experienced vet. Take your pick.

have you been drafting lately? motte has been going way ahead of perez and frankline. the other 2 don't even get drafted sometimes.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:56 pm

"Aardsma with the lead in Seattle"

I think there's a chance that Morrow ends up with the job. Yeah, I know the team says they're gonna use him as an SP but he closed games last year and is better suited to the bullpen, IMO.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers