2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby BigL531 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:17 pm

In Francisco's first save attempt since the DL, he gave up 2 walks 2 hits and a 3 run homerun to tie it to Juan Rivera. CJ Wilson pitched the 8th, 1 Hit and 3 Ks.
BigL531
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crippler » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:06 am

bigwords wrote:Funny, I had a feeling when I checked in here, I'd see a comment from Crippler about Myers/Nunez.
Thing is, I don't think anyone is disagreeing that Nunez will get opportunities. Rather, closing the book on an unfolding situation seems like poor strategy.
Maybe Nunez gets every single save for the Marlins from here on out. That doesn't make dropping Meyers for a prospect at this moment particularly wise in my book.

The only leagues where dropping Meyers for a pospect is wise are very competitive leagues where you can't hesitate to jump on a prospect. If you're in a less competitive league, feel free to hold onto him.

FYI, I dont own Nunez in any leagues. I can just see the writing on the wall...he's the closer. If you need SVs and can acquire him from an owner who somehow still thinks its a timeshare, do it. Take advantage of that other owner who is still halfway through the 'book'.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nails86 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 am

I own both. One in each league and while I agree that Nunez has an edge, why was he warming up in the 7th of the rain shortened game two nights ago? Maybe Freddi will go matchups in the 8th/9th like Bobby Cox.
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigwords » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:35 am

Crippler wrote:I can just see the writing on the wall

How about the writing on the wall that says he's not quite a great pitcher? Or the writing on the wall that says the Marlins have been aggressively trying to pursue a reliever like George Sherrill in trade? Or the writing on the wall that says that Kiko Calero returns next week?

In other words, just because Nunez may be closer today, doesn't make him a sure thing for tomorrow. Seriously, one bad relief outing might change the situation in Florida immeasurably.

Players like Meyers and Calero may be a lot closer to big fantasy value than some waiver wire retread. I have to respectfully disagree with you. In a non-competitive league you can let go of Meyers because if something should happen, there probably will be opportunity to pick him up again. But in a competitive league where people fly to the waiver wire anytime news breaks, is there seriously anything wrong with waiting just a bit?
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 pm

yeah, the weird thing about the crippler, is that his recommendations have just been to go with the guy that is the favorite and drop everyone else. the problem is that it is very rare that a really great option pops up for you that won't be there in 10 days. so holding on to the guy that has a 25% chance is usually quite an easy decision. not to mention, that if you dropped meyer, you already would have lost out on a win (and he has good numbers otherwise).

i understand that if you have someone coming off the DL and your last two choices to drop are nunez or meyer, then the advice of holding on to nunez and dropping meyer, just equates to saying he is the favorite currently, which he is. if there is a really great guy that hits the waiver wire, and those 2 are the only ones worth cutting, then the same is true.

crippler i think purposely words things to make himself look more sure about the situation than he is. when he says "so-and-so IS the closer, period," he is just saying, he is currently considered the favorite by most people.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ivanhack » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:41 pm

I agree with Nails. I think this will turn into a committee with Nunez and Meyers depending on matchup. I have Nunez so I hope he does get most of the saves.

This is what Roto Wire says:

Jul 1 Nunez pitched a perfect ninth inning Wednesday, striking out two, to pick up his fourth save of the season.

Recommendation: It looks like he'll be the main closer for the Marlins until Matt Lindstrom returns, although Dan Meyer could still get an occasional chance against tough left-handers.

Nails86 wrote:I own both. One in each league and while I agree that Nunez has an edge, why was he warming up in the 7th of the rain shortened game two nights ago? Maybe Freddi will go matchups in the 8th/9th like Bobby Cox.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Maris09 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:32 pm

I have no stake in the Florida situation, but a close look at the last 3 situations says matchup scenario to me.

6/29 Meyer starts the 9th in a save situation to face the lefty heavy top of the National's lineup. Nunez comes in with 2 down to get Willingham out to end the game.

6/30 Rain shortened game. Nunez warming in the bottom of the 7th for the 8th inning.
The last Nationals hitter to bat was Adam Dunn, so Nunez was being warmed up to once again face Willingham and the National's 7-8-9.
(My take from that scenario is that if there was a save opp, Meyer would have then been used to face the top of the National's order in the 9th.)

7/1 Meyer enters in the 8th to once again face the top of the National's lineup consisting of mostly lefties and switch hitters.

So that's 3 straight games where Meyer was brought in to face the top of the National's lineup (essentially W.Harris (L), Guzman (S), N.Johnson (L), Zimmerman (R), and Dunn (L). To me it seems like Freddy is going based of matchups. Consistently giving the left handed heavy top of the order to Meyer, and the post-Adam Dunn bottom part of the order to Nunez.

Crippler wrote:Big......surprise..?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Maris09 wrote:I have no stake in the Florida situation, but a close look at the last 3 situations says matchup scenario to me.

6/29 Meyer starts the 9th in a save situation to face the lefty heavy top of the National's lineup. Nunez comes in with 2 down to get Willingham out to end the game.

6/30 Rain shortened game. Nunez warming in the bottom of the 7th for the 8th inning.
The last Nationals hitter to bat was Adam Dunn, so Nunez was being warmed up to once again face Willingham and the National's 7-8-9.
(My take from that scenario is that if there was a save opp, Meyer would have then been used to face the top of the National's order in the 9th.)

7/1 Meyer enters in the 8th to once again face the top of the National's lineup consisting of mostly lefties and switch hitters.

So that's 3 straight games where Meyer was brought in to face the top of the National's lineup (essentially W.Harris (L), Guzman (S), N.Johnson (L), Zimmerman (R), and Dunn (L). To me it seems like Freddy is going based of matchups. Consistently giving the left handed heavy top of the order to Meyer, and the post-Adam Dunn bottom part of the order to Nunez.

Crippler wrote:Big......surprise..?

It's Soriano and Gonzo in Atlanta, Part II.

That is all.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 102)

Postby TheBambino » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:25 am

In my league I had Lindstrom... when I heard the news ditched him and grabbed Nunez.... However, I then found out that in Yahoo Leagues.... hes listed as an SP... This is a huge bonus in my league where we only play 3 closers.... now I can play them both and whatever happens I get that save without taking up my other RP spots!

If you have the same setup in your league.. Id say grab both.... Otherwise... Im liking Nunez as the man.
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Maris09 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:53 am

Millhouse wrote:It's Soriano and Gonzo in Atlanta, Part II.

That is all.

I'm not sure we can be all that definitive about the situation one way or the other. I'd obviously rather own Nunez than Meyer, but it very well could be the Atlanta situation.

Anyone think it's a good idea to grab and stash Lindstrom if you can? What are his chances to regain the role in August and Sept?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers