2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby bigwords » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:06 am

Yesterday's Marlins game ended in the 7th as a result of a rainout. However, it's interesting to note that Leo Nunez was warming up in the 7th inning of last night's game before it was called.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:30 am

rib217 wrote:
jsphlly wrote:This thread has gotten close to worthless.

sadly, i completely agree

Yeah? Well, you're gay. :-b :-b :-b

Has anyone mentioned the possibility of Sean Burnett closing for the Nationals? MacDougal has been solid of late, due to completely abandoning his slider (hit "show partial seasons"), but there's still a distinct chance he could blow up again. In that case, would Burnett be second in line?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby bigwords » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:15 am

Man, I hope not.
Burnett's numbers appear good. A 3.06 ERA and a 1.14 WHIP.
But his 23 strikeouts and 15 walks in just over 32 innings translate to disaster in the long run.
Considering that the Nationals closer position offers pretty modest saves upside, don't think Burnett is worth much speculation.
The Nationals GM says that he's open to many more trades, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see better relievers coming to Washington soon.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 am

bigwords wrote:Man, I hope not.
But his 23 strikeouts and 15 walks in just over 32 innings translate to disaster in the long run.
Considering that the Nationals closer position offers pretty modest saves upside, don't think Burnett is worth much speculation.
The Nationals GM says that he's open to many more trades, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see better relievers coming to Washington soon.

The thing about relievers' K and BB rates is that they often don't really matter that much due to the small sample size. You see a lot of guys with weak ratios putting up good ERA/WHIP because they only have to pitch 50 IPs. Being a lefty helps also in match up situations.

I don't understand why the Nat's are looking for relievers. They have so many other needs and 12 OF competing for 3 positions.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby fbc_fan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Yoda wrote:
bigwords wrote:Man, I hope not.

The thing about relievers' K and BB rates is that they often don't really matter that much due to the small sample size. You see a lot of guys with weak ratios putting up good ERA/WHIP because they only have to pitch 50 IPs. Being a lefty helps also in match up situations.

I don't understand why the Nat's are looking for relievers. They have so many other needs and 12 OF competing for 3 positions.

this. i would also assume that he would be in the mix because that whole bullpen is trash. they need all the help they can get.

also, hanrahan have any shot in pitt if he starts putting it back together? capps hasn't been in perfect health this year.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Crippler » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:13 pm

Meyer being brought into the 8th again so he wont be closing today, no matter what batters are up.

Big surprise..
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Maris09 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:18 pm

Crippler wrote:Meyer being brought into the 8th again so he wont be closing today, no matter what batters are up.

Big surprise..

Dude honestly, guessing between 2 guys, (one being a lefty and one being a righty), after the manager already said a few days ago that he was going to give Nunez a shot to take the role.....is nothing special. There's really no reason to continue tooting your own horn here.

Also, even if he did want to use Nunez in the 8th and Meyers in the 9th today....he brought Meyers in during the 8th inning to face a lefty, a switch hitter, and then another lefty.

So I'd say he actually did go off of matchups to make his decision. Look closer before you toot.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Crippler wrote:Meyer being brought into the 8th again so he wont be closing today, no matter what batters are up.

Big surprise..

right meyer isn't the official closer at this point. it is shared. nunez was warming up to come into last night's game before the 9th. so it shouldn't surprise anyone to see either guy come into the game before the 9th.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby horatio » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:59 pm

---- I read there was a possibility the Nats might try to go after LaTroy Hawkins, anyone have any information on that?
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigwords » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:41 pm

Funny, I had a feeling when I checked in here, I'd see a comment from Crippler about Myers/Nunez.
Thing is, I don't think anyone is disagreeing that Nunez will get opportunities. Rather, closing the book on an unfolding situation seems like poor strategy.
Maybe Nunez gets every single save for the Marlins from here on out. That doesn't make dropping Meyers for a prospect at this moment particularly wise in my book.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers