2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby ivanhack » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:12 am

As "smoovethug" said, I think we could possibly see a platoon with Meyer facing the lefties and Nunez facing the righties.

Depending on your league you should probably hold onto Meyer.

CBS Sports

Leading by two runs in the ninth inning Monday, the Marlins initially went to left-hander Dan L. Meyer, who recorded a save Wednesday. He allowed two hits in two-thirds of an inning, though, so the Marlins turned to RHP Leo Nunez for the final out and the save. "Good team victory," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "The closer is whoever got the last out. I really don't think any of those two guys could care, as long as we get that last out and we're shaking hands and we get a win."
(Updated 06/29/2009).

Fantasy Analysis
The Marlins kept saying they would use Nunez as their closer until Matt Lindstrom returned from the DL, but we had yet to see them follow through on their word, in part because Nunez was battling a sprained ankle. Two of the four hitters Meyer faced were left-handers, which might explain why the Marlins went with him at first. Nunez has enough potential to add in all NL-only leagues right now, but the uncertainty of his role and the short time he'll have it make him no more than a last resort for saves in mixed leagues.

smoovethug wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:Meyer opend the 9th, but was replaced by Nunez. word is that once Nunez is healthy its his job to close? with that is it safe to drop Meyer?

I don't know, I'm still holding him for now. He'll still help your ratios and may see some saves if lefties are due up in the 9th. 2 of the 4 batters Meyer faced were lefties with Guzman being a switch-hitter.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigwords » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Interesting situation last night in the Marlins game. To be honest, I'm not certain this had anything to do with left-handers and right-handers. Meyer started out the 9th and probably would have gotten the save, but ran into light trouble. Manager pulls him and Nunez gets the save. It's possible/probable that Nunez gets the next shot in the 9th and if he runs into trouble, maybe Meyer or Calero gets called into the game. I think this situation may be a little fluid for the next few weeks. Eventually, it'll settle.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crippler » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:10 pm

Here are my thoughts on the Nunez/Myer situation. I was right-on when I said Bailey had taken over in Oakland and Howell had taken over in TB so I'm riding a streak...

-Meyer did well while fillin in for a few games, so he was given a little leash. He had the save opportunity but sort of blew it by letting 2 runners on base, so Nunez was brought in to clean up and take over as the official closer. It was just a matter of time before he got the job anyway, and Meyer was only going to stay the team's closer if he remained near-perfect in the role.

Im dropping Meyer if I can find a halfway-decent waiver-wire prospect to replace him. I think he only has value if Nunez implodes from here on out.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby ivanhack » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:17 pm

Roto World

Matt Lindstrom (elbow) could begin a throwing program by Friday.

He wasn't expected to resume throwing for another three weeks, but Lindstrom had his right elbow re-examined Monday by team physicians, who quickly determined that his inflammation has mostly dissipated. Placed on the disabled list June 24, the right-hander may be able to return by the end of July. Leo Nunez and Dan Meyer will continue sharing ninth-inning duties for the time being.

Crippler wrote:Here are my thoughts on the Nunez/Myer situation. I was right-on when I said Bailey had taken over in Oakland and Howell had taken over in TB so I'm riding a streak...

-Meyer did well while fillin in for a few games, so he was given a little leash. He had the save opportunity but sort of blew it by letting 2 runners on base, so Nunez was brought in to clean up and take over as the official closer. It was just a matter of time before he got the job anyway, and Meyer was only going to stay the team's closer if he remained near-perfect in the role.

Im dropping Meyer if I can find a halfway-decent waiver-wire prospect to replace him. I think he only has value if Nunez implodes from here on out.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigwords » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Funny. You weren't the only one pimping Howell or Bailey. Pretty strong IF. I think dropping Meyer is a little bit of an overreaction at the moment. If there was cause to pick him up a few days ago, not sure if anything has happened to really resolve the situation just yet.

I do think Nunez will get the ball in the next 9th inning that's a save opportunity. But his leash is rather short. If he lets a couple men on base, you really think his job is so secure that Fredi Gonzalez wouldn't hesitate to come out and bring in someone else, ala last night?

By the way, in other news, looks like Pittsburgh has acquired Joel Hanrahan in the Lastings Milledge/Nyjer Morgan deal. Hanrahan has pretty good peripherals but obviously has been getting lit up. Thing is, Matt Capps hasn't been good at all this year. Of course, we're talking about Pittsburgh now, not much better than Washington.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby iltat » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:21 pm

Crippler wrote:Here are my thoughts on the Nunez/Myer situation. I was right-on when I said Bailey had taken over in Oakland and Howell had taken over in TB so I'm riding a streak...

Nunez was brought in to face a righty when Meyer got in trouble. You don't think the same thing will occur if the exact vice-versa happened?

I think I'll actually let Nunez get called into a game in a closer role before I make such a decision. Tooting one's horn about a couple right calls doesn't help gain my respect for your psychic abilities.
iltat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:33 pm

In similar news, the starving blind squirrel that lives in my backyard found a nut the other day. }:-) :-D
No offense but that you were right doesnt mean you'll be right always. In fact it means that more likely you'll be wrong.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:36 pm

iltat wrote:Nunez was brought in to face a righty when Meyer got in trouble. You don't think the same thing will occur if the exact vice-versa happened?

I think I'll actually let Nunez get called into a game in a closer role before I make such a decision.

+1
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Crippler » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:22 pm

bigwords wrote: I think dropping Meyer is a little bit of an overreaction at the moment. If there was cause to pick him up a few days ago, not sure if anything has happened to really resolve the situation just yet.

Other than the fact that Nunez (closer) was injured and now he's healed? ;)
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Crippler » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:24 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:

No offense but that you were right doesnt mean you'll be right always. In fact it means that more likely you'll be wrong.

Dropped out aftr 6th grade? I think middle school is when this sort ofthinking was disproven :-D

Wanna join my poker game?
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers