2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby ivanhack » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:30 am

How about Matt Herges? He pitched in the 9th inning last night in a non save situation with a 5 run lead. He gave up 3 hits and 3 earned runs and a homer.

However he has a 3.57 ERA on the year with a 1.01 WHIP. He also has experience as a closer getting 23 saves with San Francisco back in 2004.

Is it possible Herges gets a shot at closer if Wood keeps struggling?

Maris09 wrote:
Nails86 wrote:Who is next in line in Cleveland? Wood has been awful.

I said this a couple of pages ago.
Before Wood's two sub par outings @ Chicago.....he had gone 11 stright scoreless appearances, and the rest of the Cleveland bullpen has been among the worst in baseball. Regardless of the last 2 days, and outside of injury, he's got one of the safest jobs in baseball.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 18 and 1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:56 am

ivanhack wrote:How about Matt Herges? He pitched in the 9th inning last night in a non save situation with a 5 run lead. He gave up 3 hits and 3 earned runs and a homer.

However he has a 3.57 ERA on the year with a 1.01 WHIP. He also has experience as a closer getting 23 saves with San Francisco back in 2004.

Is it possible Herges gets a shot at closer if Wood keeps struggling?

Maris09 wrote:
Nails86 wrote:Who is next in line in Cleveland? Wood has been awful.

I said this a couple of pages ago.
Before Wood's two sub par outings @ Chicago.....he had gone 11 stright scoreless appearances, and the rest of the Cleveland bullpen has been among the worst in baseball. Regardless of the last 2 days, and outside of injury, he's got one of the safest jobs in baseball.

I doubt it. I expect Jensen Lewis to be the guy. I use The Inside Pitch closer page as a guide. It's not a guarantee, but he's right most of the time. http://www.theinsidepitch.com/Closer_Watch.html
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigwords » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 pm

I believe this may be a little bit of a fluke, but...
Matt Lindstrom @ home in 2009: 10.59 ERA
Matt Lindstrom @ road in 2009: 0.75 ERA

No doubt about the fact that Lindstrom hasn't been particularly good this year. He's only blown two saves this year, but with a xERA of 5.06, it's hard to argue he's been an effective closer.

Thing is, Matt Lindstrom wasn't much better last year either, with a x4.64 ERA. His 2008 ERA of 3.14 was the product of significant luck. So too was the 3.09 ERA he posted in 2007.

More bad news: Lindstrom seemingly "recovered" in the 2nd half of last season, posting a 4.45 ERA in the 1st half and a 1.86 ERA in the second half, but it was largely the product of a mirage. His K/9 fell significantly, and while he improved his command, the results on a peripheral front largely were a wash.

My conclusion is that Lindstrom has NEVER been a great reliever on the major league level and can't be dominant without being wild nor maintain control without giving up his dominance.

The Florida Marlins are surprisingly only 3 games out of first place at the moment and they'd be wise to make a switch. Right now, Nunez and Meyer seem the two logical choices, and Lindstrom owners would be wise to take a handcuff.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby aaronharangatang » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Lindstrom to the DL..http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_byt ... he-dl.html

Pick up Nunez or Meyer?
aaronharangatang
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 18 and 1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:42 pm

aaronharangatang wrote:Lindstrom to the DL..http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_byt ... he-dl.html

Pick up Nunez or Meyer?

Nunez is banged up (ankle), but he should be ready fairly soon, maybe even tonight. He's the pickup right now IMO.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wildbill » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:48 pm

18 and 1 wrote:
aaronharangatang wrote:Lindstrom to the DL..http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_byt ... he-dl.html

Pick up Nunez or Meyer?

Nunez is banged up (ankle), but he should be ready fairly soon, maybe even tonight. He's the pickup right now IMO.

I would think they'd choose the RHP (Nunez) over the LHP (Meyer), but the prevailing speculation was wrong in the Tampa situation so there's no guarantee. At any rate sounds like Nunez won't miss much time if any. They may not even generate a save chance until he's available if he's only sidelined a day or 2.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigwords » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Don't totally forget about Kiko Calero.
Granted, he's on the DL at the moment and probably won't get the first opportunity.
But according to Lindstrom's DL report, he won't be throwing for four weeks, giving plenty of opportunity for Calero, the team's best reliever this year, to come back with fury.
Nunez could very well get the gig, but right now, he looks to me like the team's third best reliever behind Calero and Meyer.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BBandit » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:26 pm

CBS actually says Nunez or PINTO--not Meyer.

Nonetheless, i believe it will be Meyer if Nunez is not healthy or falters.

Remember, Nunez has not been great.
BBandit
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wildbill » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:01 pm

BBandit wrote:CBS actually says Nunez or PINTO--not Meyer.

If every closer was great then having Paps or Broxton or Riveria would be no big deal because they'd be like everyone else. The point is most closers aren't great. If you look at Nunez's stats for April and May they're not too bad and he only gave up runs in 2 games so far in June. I don't know how he's done in terms of inherited runners, but closers usually start an inning. No he's not great but he's no worse then a number of other current closers and better then some I would guess.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:52 pm

wildbill wrote:
BBandit wrote:CBS actually says Nunez or PINTO--not Meyer.

If every closer was great then having Paps or Broxton or Riveria would be no big deal because they'd be like everyone else. The point is most closers aren't great. If you look at Nunez's stats for April and May they're not too bad and he only gave up runs in 2 games so far in June. I don't know how he's done in terms of inherited runners, but closers usually start an inning. No he's not great but he's no worse then a number of other current closers and better then some I would guess.

Expect Pinto to close against lefty heavy lineups with Nunez getting most of the opps otherwise. A few 2 innings saves I think are likely too.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers