2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby mt99808 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:28 pm

dedalus wrote:
beagle wrote:Well, Frasor looked like a turd today. If the Jays haven't lost faith in him, I just may have.

The plot thickens.

Accardo: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 K, 0 ER
Frasor: .1 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 0 K, 1 ER

If Frasor is the closer, he shouldn't have been brought in in the bottom half of an inning with the score tied. Visiting teams usually bring in their closers in extra inning games in, well, save situations, no?

There were only 2 pitcher left and one was BJ Ryan who Cito can't stand right now. ....
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:31 pm

In addition the beej had pitched 5 of the last 6 nights. I have a strong sense that he was completely unavaliable for tonight, otherwise that would've been his spot (especially with most Switch/Lefties at the plate)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TheBambino » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:32 pm

Guys.... Your spinning your wheels on the closer in TO. Downs is the Closer and cant possibly be out that long.... and the jays so far this season havent had too many save ops. So going by that trend, I really dont see any of Ryan, Accardo or Frasor worth the fuss... Unless you really are chasing those 2 maybe 3 saves until Scotty gets back. :-)
TheBambino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:15 am

Frasor couldn't pitch as well as he was forever. He isn't nearly that good...that's why Downs' injury hurts the team so much.

I would guess that Frasor is still the closer, but Accardo has seemingly become the team's setup man (with League) after 2 outings, and he might even earn a chance at some point.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:45 am

In UTK this week Will Carrol estimated 3 weeks on the DL for Downs, and said he would definitely take longer than the minimum.
http://baseballprospectus.com/article.p ... cleid=9088

I think you have to be a subscriber to actually read the article.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby iltat » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:33 am

Per Rotoworld:

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said Brad Lidge appears to be on track to come off the DL on Tuesday.
"He's got the natural soreness that he should have after throwing, but I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about," Manuel said after Lidge tossed a 42-pitch session Thursday. He's scheduled to throw a minor league rehab assignment today.

An MRI revealed reliever Manny Corpas has bone chips in his elbow, which will likely lead to a stint on the DL.
Matt Daley or Alan Embree could slide into the setup role with Corpas sidelined. The Rockies and Corpas were surprised by the news, as Corpas had thrown the ball well recently.

Jonathan Papelbon followed up his comments about being willing to sign with the Yankees with some additional comments that should placate fans in Boston.
"I don't want to go (expletive) play for the Yankees," he said. "I've been on a team for the past five years that's been in first place more than any other (expletive) team otherwise. Why would I want to leave?" Papelbon had previously left open the possibility of playing in the Bronx when his contract was up, basically saying (if you read the quote) that he could end up anywhere depending on who busted out their wallets.
iltat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beagle » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:36 am

Depending how Corpas heals, I think that might have taken Street off the trading block.
beagle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby eneric » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:52 am

Niffoc4 wrote:In UTK this week Will Carrol estimated 3 weeks on the DL for Downs, and said he would definitely take longer than the minimum.

Will Carrol is the auctioneer at my big money roto league, he's pretty cool
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:15 pm

iltat wrote:
Jonathan Papelbon followed up his comments about being willing to sign with the Yankees with some additional comments that should placate fans in Boston.
"I don't want to go (expletive) play for the Yankees," he said. "I've been on a team for the past five years that's been in first place more than any other (expletive) team otherwise. Why would I want to leave?" Papelbon had previously left open the possibility of playing in the Bronx when his contract was up, basically saying (if you read the quote) that he could end up anywhere depending on who busted out their wallets.

You stay classy, Palpelbon.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:24 pm

eneric wrote:
Niffoc4 wrote:In UTK this week Will Carrol estimated 3 weeks on the DL for Downs, and said he would definitely take longer than the minimum.

Will Carrol is the auctioneer at my big money roto league, he's pretty cool

Will Carroll is friends with Jenn Sterger, he's more than just pretty cool. :-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers