2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Skins Fanatic » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Given all the talk on this thread about Accardo, I absolutely LOVE that he ended up getting the Save.

On a serious note, I think Frasor should still be the main Closer. As noted, they brought him in in the 8th because League had thrown a lot of pitches and they needed their best guy out there to make sure the inning didn't get out of hand. It was just bad luck that they had to PH for him. . .and that obvi won't be a problem after Interleague play is over.
Skins Fanatic
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Padsin05 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:03 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:
BALCO All-Stars wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:BJ Ryan is coming in for the save. :-o

After Frasor came in the bottom of the 8th...gave up a single then got an out. Then they pinch hit for him in the 9th...what a mess... :-t

Truly a committee? I'm surprised that they are bringing in Accardo for the SV in his first game back.

It was a bit of a mess there in the 8th. I think Cito wanted Frasor to get a 4 out save, but something happened there with the double-switch and they ended up having to pinch hit for him in the 9th.

Accardo got the save, but I still believe Frasor is the guy.

There was no double switch used...

a) Cito doesnt know about double switches or how to do them

b) he needed his best pitcher (Frasor) to get outta the 8th, and knew the Phills had Utley and Howard due up where he could use Ryan

c) a+b

d) none of the above

I pick C
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TomBrooklyn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:08 pm

Should I drop ChC Carlos Marmol for TB Randy Choate?

Ks, ERA and WHIP are all useful and important to me. I'm pretty well set in SVs.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:14 pm

Padsin05 wrote:There was no double switch used...

This is ridiculous.
A Major League headcoach and a Major League benchcoach doesnt know how to do double switch? You gotta be kiddin me.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:28 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Padsin05 wrote:There was no double switch used...

This is ridiculous.
A Major League headcoach and a Major League benchcoach doesnt know how to do double switch? You gotta be kiddin me.

Welcome to the American League.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby converge241 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:51 pm

They have had Interleague play (and the freaking Word Series, hello) for a while now haha he should know how to do a double switch..Cito was winging it

save those Accardo pickups
!!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby bigwords » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:41 pm

Mmmm, I'm not so solid on Frasor as some of you guys. His strikeout to walk rate appears solid at the moment, but we're talking about a 23-inning sample size here. The much larger career sample set indicates a pitcher who has troubles limiting walks.
Next, let me point out that Frasor is allowing more than 50% of hits in play as fly balls, but has only given up one home run this year. Something's gotta give.
What I see is a pitcher who you can't rely upon to be great. This guy is much closer to a 3.87 ERA pitcher (his career norm) than a 1.9 ERA pitcher.
And 3.9 isn't bad and of course, yeah, I believe he gets the first shot, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get the second. Plus, save opportunities haven't come rabidly in Toronto (somewhat flukey, I admit) and Downs is still only going to be gone for a few weeks, so I'd keep expectations in check.
Howell or Frasor -- take Howell.
In my opinion, it's insanity that Frasor's ownership has climbed above Howell's in the last 24 hours.
Fantasy Ball Junkie
We've Got Your Fix
www.fantasyballjunkie.com
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:43 pm

bigwords wrote:Mmmm, I'm not so solid on Frasor as some of you guys. His strikeout to walk rate appears solid at the moment, but we're talking about a 23-inning sample size here. The much larger career sample set indicates a pitcher who has troubles limiting walks.
Next, let me point out that Frasor is allowing more than 50% of hits in play as fly balls, but has only given up one home run this year. Something's gotta give.
What I see is a pitcher who you can't rely upon to be great. This guy is much closer to a 3.87 ERA pitcher (his career norm) than a 1.9 ERA pitcher.
And 3.9 isn't bad and of course, yeah, I believe he gets the first shot, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get the second. Plus, save opportunities haven't come rabidly in Toronto (somewhat flukey, I admit) and Downs is still only going to be gone for a few weeks, so I'd keep expectations in check.
In my opinion, it's insanity that Frasor's ownership has climbed above Howell's in the last 24 hours.

I agree with this. I think if anything, TB is Howell's job and Toronto will end up being a committe for the next two weeks, led by Frasor and Downs. I doubt Accardo's in the mix, in case nobody noticed he was the last man standing in the Toronto bullpen during that game (it would've been really funny if the game went to like, the 11th and Toronto was already out of pitchers....)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:55 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
bigwords wrote:Mmmm, I'm not so solid on Frasor as some of you guys. His strikeout to walk rate appears solid at the moment, but we're talking about a 23-inning sample size here. The much larger career sample set indicates a pitcher who has troubles limiting walks.

I agree with this. I think if anything, TB is Howell's job and Toronto will end up being a committe for the next two weeks, led by Frasor and Downs. I doubt Accardo's in the mix, in case nobody noticed he was the last man standing in the Toronto bullpen during that game (it would've been really funny if the game went to like, the 11th and Toronto was already out of pitchers....)

I dont think Downs will be part of the committee - did you mean BJ?
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Frasor is still the closer. He's gone on record and said it. Cito just doesn't understand how to double switch.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers