2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Crippler » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:53 pm

Two_for_the_Money wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
Crippler wrote:
I'm not sure what you would really expect though...doesnt a coach always need to have someone warming up in the pen just in case? I mean if Howell walks the bases loaded, it would be nice to have someone warm enough to replace him...

Since he didnt struggle at all (retiring 4 straight batters), I think its safe to call him the closer. As with just about every team, they will have another option to take over (izzy) if he struggles a lot in the future.

I dont see anyone warming when Papelbon, Krod, Nathan, Jenks, Capps, Broxton, Rivera, etc. are pitching. If someone is the "closer" i don't typically see a coach warming someone. You go with a guy.

As far as Howell, he is def pitching the best and hopefully that means Maddon gives him more shots, but he still likes his matchups.

That's just it, it's not like Maddon has annointed Howell as "closer." Maddon just doesn't think that way. He's certainly a better manager than Acta's annointing MacDougal out of nowhere (that's a disaster waiting to happen). Plus, why would Maddon want to put added pressure on Howell if Howell hasn't really even had an opportunity to take the role by the horns?

I think what Crippler, I, and other Howell advocates are saying is that it looks like Howell is basically the one that Maddon wants to take this thing. Hell, the whole TB community seems to want this, so if Howell keeps pitching like he has over the past two years (and you all should really see that he's been the best bullpen arm not just this year, but last year really too, especially when you factor in consistency), he looks like the guy to beat.

Does anyone seriously think if Howell's pitching alright, Maddon's going to go to Wheeler if a righty comes up, or Choate if a lefty comes up? The point is, even granting that Maddon likes his matchups (his pulling Wheeler for Choate a couple of times confirms this), he does not seem to think this way with Howell, which makes Howell a somewhat clear favorite at this point.

As for the whole "guy warming up" business, I don't think anyone's seriously claiming that Howell is the closer like Papelbon, Rivera, and Krod are closers. Jenks definitely pitching sometimes with people warming up behind him, lest we forget Ozzie Guillen's notorious lack of confidence. Same with Gregg, Rodney, others. While these warm up aren't necessarily as the inning begins, the point is that when someone's trying to take the closer's role in an open situation, that someone is warming up behind them shouldn't be a surprise, or a cause to say, "he's not a legitimate contender." In the mind of any manager with a closer situation, a pitcher won't jump from closer candidate to no-questions-asked closer in a day.

And back when Capps, Jenks, hell, Papelbon and Rivera (likely, someone would have to do the research) were in the process of taking the closers role, that another pitcher may have been warming up behind them wouldn't be shocking.

Great points. Couldnt agree more! ;-D
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:28 pm

Isringhausen injured.
rotoworld.com
Jason Isringhausen was pulled in the top of the ninth inning Saturday with an apparent right arm injury.
Izzy hurled an extremely wild pitch and almost immediately headed for the dugout with his arm dangling. It sounds like he'll be headed back to the disabled list.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 77)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Two_for_the_Money » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:38 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Isringhausen injured.
rotoworld.com
Jason Isringhausen was pulled in the top of the ninth inning Saturday with an apparent right arm injury.
Izzy hurled an extremely wild pitch and almost immediately headed for the dugout with his arm dangling. It sounds like he'll be headed back to the disabled list.

A day earlier and a whole lot of conversation would have been prevented. A "dangling" arm just does not sound good.
Two_for_the_Money
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby fitz0527 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:17 pm

Rockies: Buchholz
Rockies reliever Taylor Buchholz suffered a setback in his return from a right elbow injury according to Patrick Saunders, and could be out for the year. Could Buchholz's injury impact the Rockies' decision to move closer Huston Street if they maintain their current hot streak?
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Aaronta77 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:30 am

Anyone know why Hawkins relieved Valverde?
Aaronta77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby janks » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:05 am

I imagine that the Astros wanted to ease Valverde back into things without plunging him into a pressured save situation immediately. Not as though there was a real rush to get Hawkins out of the role.
janks
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ABA316 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:29 am

ESPN on Valverde's player profile had a quote from Cooper saying he wanted to use Jose in a non-save situation as his first back in action.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beagle » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:14 pm

fitz0527 wrote:Rockies: Buchholz
Rockies reliever Taylor Buchholz suffered a setback in his return from a right elbow injury according to Patrick Saunders, and could be out for the year. Could Buchholz's injury impact the Rockies' decision to move closer Huston Street if they maintain their current hot streak?

So if/when Street gets traded, does this make Corpas the lock to close now in Col?
beagle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ABA316 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:41 pm

One less arm in the TB closer mix..ESPN.com

The Rays have placed Isringhausen on the 60-day DL with a strained right elbow, the team's official site reports.
Spin:
Isringhausen will have an MRI on Monday, which should provide more clarity on his injury. Either way, it looks like the veteran reliever will be out for some time.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fitz0527 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:56 pm

Frank Francisco
Rangers placed RHP Frank Francisco on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 4, with right shoulder tendinitis.
His throwing session today must not have gone very well. Francisco could return as soon as Friday, but the Rangers would be foolish to let him rush back again. C.J. Wilson will close in his absence

Taylor Buchholz
Taylor Buchholz will undergo Tommy John surgery for the damaged ligament in his right elbow.
That Buchholz tried to rehab after initially being diagnosed with a sprained ligament on March 5 will likely cost him half of 2010. "I was hoping this could be avoided. That’s why we waited this long,’’ Buchholz said. "Looking back, I guess you could say I could have had this done three months ago. But we were hopeful.’’
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers