2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Steve-o » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:01 pm

More on the brewers...

Brewers beat writer Adam McCalvy on 3/22 wrote:Macha once again described his bullpen picture as "cloudy," and met at length Sunday morning with general manager Doug Melvin to discuss the options. Villanueva and Seth McClung remain the leading contenders to fill-in for Hoffman, Macha said. He doesn't see David Riske as an option until Riske pitches at least one good outing, and Macha also said he's not at the point of considering former Orioles closer Jorge Julio, who reached 97 mph on the radar gun on Saturday against the Angels. Julio is still competing for a bullpen spot, though.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:02 am

Hoffman being on the DL could be good depending on when you draft..could draft him plug him in DL and grab another RP - be it his replacement or another possible closer.

Any idea when they are allowed to actually DL him and therefore allow so on the sites?
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby ramble2 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 am

converge241 wrote:Hoffman being on the DL could be good depending on when you draft..could draft him plug him in DL and grab another RP - be it his replacement or another possible closer.

Any idea when they are allowed to actually DL him and therefore allow so on the sites?

If I remember correctly, you can't place anyone on the DL until opening day. That's when teams have to designate 25 active players eligible for MLB games (as opposed to the 40 player reserve). From opening day through August 31 teams can use 25 of its 40 mlb roster players in games; from Sept. 1 on teams can use any of its 40 players in mlb games. Players listed on DL don't count against the 25 man roster. If they are on the 60-day DL they also don't count against the 40 player reserve.

At least I think that's the rule. I had a little trouble deciphering it from the MLB rules and my memory may be wrong. If the 25 man rosters are designated earlier than opening day someone can correct me.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby neoforce » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:39 am

ramble2 wrote: If I remember correctly, you can't place anyone on the DL until opening day. ...
At least I think that's the rule. I had a little trouble deciphering it from the MLB rules and my memory may be wrong. If the 25 man rosters are designated earlier than opening day someone can correct me.

Yeah, the rules on waivers/DL etc can be hard to figure out. I don't know the real set of rules for DL, but you can put people on the DL already. Check out the mlb.com player transaction page and you will see some.

There was an entire thread about DL at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=372283.

Teams often wait until opening day, but they don't have to.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:46 pm

John Heyman on 3/23 wrote:Blue Jays closer B.J. Ryan is throwing in the "low 80s,'' according to one AL scout. "I don't know if he's just pacing himself or this is all he's got,'' the scout said. The implication was that if this was all he had, that's a bad sign.

I don't necessarily trust the source, but thought I would throw this out there.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:10 pm

updates???@?@?@?@?

1. whats going on in Arizona? is tony pena closing or is Qualls?
2. Whats up in Bolimore? Ray take that job yet?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:16 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:updates???@?@?@?@?

1. Qualls
2. No
3. check the first page. ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Holein1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:22 pm

The Red Sox knocked four straight home runs off Detroit's Brandon Lyon in the sixth inning of their Grapefruit League game Monday n Fort Myers, Fla.

Mike Lowell, Jason Bay, Chris Carter and Ivan Ochoa all went deep to left field, according to MLB play-by-play.
Holein1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby mkultra » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Holein1 wrote:Mike Lowell, Jason Bay, Chris Carter and Ivan Ochoa all went deep to left field, according to MLB play-by-play.

Wow, he's given up homers to two BoSox, the creator of the X-Files, and the fan sitting in Row 3/Seat G! ;-D
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:53 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:updates???@?@?@?@?

1. Qualls
2. No
3. check the first page. ;-D

sorry.. I looked at the first page, but then again that was written on 2/12.. just checking to see if anyone has heard of any changes to the status... ;-7
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers