2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:46 am

nolanwood wrote:
Crippler wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Not sure how you could possibly be so definitive with that 'no' response, given that Pinella has not gone to Marmol as his primary closer over the last two years even when he was (apparently) the best option (see: Kerry Wood in 2008, Kevin Gregg in 2009), presumably because he likes him so much in a setup role.


Its probably more of a lack of faith in Guzman...dude gets one save in the what...15th inning?...and all the sudden people are discussing him as a closer option? The only reason he even came in was because every other option was already used.


Wrong. :-t The 15th inning save has nothing to do with it... Lack of faith in Guzman? He didn't pitch earlier in the game because he threw June 2, 3, 5 and 6. When he came into the game in the 15th, there were only 2 pitchers left in the bullpen (Gooz and Marshall), and Lou had stated before the game that both would have the day off.

I think Gooz would make an excellent temporary replacement for Marmol setting up Gregg. If you followed the Cubs at all, you'd notice how dominate Gooz has been this year. He's been throwing all his stuff for strikes, added a cutter (which has been effective vs. righties), and he's always had a live fastball. You'd also notice that Lou has already been using Gooz in high leverage scenarios. Guzman has a career plagued with injuries, but it appears this one time top SP prospect is finally healthy and is excelling in the bullpen. Guzman has clearly been the best pitcher in the Cubs pen this year.


You're right, he has been the best arm in the pen this year...pitching in the 7th inning of most games. Who says he can handle the pressure of closing games. If anything, he needs to stay where he's at while Marmol figures out what is wrong with himself. IMO it takes more then 2 good months of a season before a player should be deemed worthy. But anyway, I'm bowing out because I don't want to turn this into another back and forth that clogs up this thread.
Image
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1995
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 9 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In mancave playing CodMW2

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:01 am

BALCO All-Stars wrote:
nolanwood wrote:
Crippler wrote:
Its probably more of a lack of faith in Guzman...dude gets one save in the what...15th inning?...and all the sudden people are discussing him as a closer option? The only reason he even came in was because every other option was already used.


Wrong. :-t The 15th inning save has nothing to do with it... Lack of faith in Guzman? He didn't pitch earlier in the game because he threw June 2, 3, 5 and 6. When he came into the game in the 15th, there were only 2 pitchers left in the bullpen (Gooz and Marshall), and Lou had stated before the game that both would have the day off.

I think Gooz would make an excellent temporary replacement for Marmol setting up Gregg. If you followed the Cubs at all, you'd notice how dominate Gooz has been this year. He's been throwing all his stuff for strikes, added a cutter (which has been effective vs. righties), and he's always had a live fastball. You'd also notice that Lou has already been using Gooz in high leverage scenarios. Guzman has a career plagued with injuries, but it appears this one time top SP prospect is finally healthy and is excelling in the bullpen. Guzman has clearly been the best pitcher in the Cubs pen this year.


You're right, he has been the best arm in the pen this year...pitching in the 7th inning of most games. Who says he can handle the pressure of closing games. If anything, he needs to stay where he's at while Marmol figures out what is wrong with himself. IMO it takes more then 2 good months of a season before a player should be deemed worthy. But anyway, I'm bowing out because I don't want to turn this into another back and forth that clogs up this thread.

Actually, I wasn't arguing that Pinella would/might install Guzman as the closer, only that he's been reluctant to make Marmol the closer and his pattern has been that he'd try the next best option first before turning to Marmol... in this case, that might be Guzman.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2148
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park, RF Roof Deck

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Crippler » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:05 am

nolanwood wrote:
Crippler wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Not sure how you could possibly be so definitive with that 'no' response, given that Pinella has not gone to Marmol as his primary closer over the last two years even when he was (apparently) the best option (see: Kerry Wood in 2008, Kevin Gregg in 2009), presumably because he likes him so much in a setup role.


Its probably more of a lack of faith in Guzman...dude gets one save in the what...15th inning?...and all the sudden people are discussing him as a closer option? The only reason he even came in was because every other option was already used.


Wrong. :-t The 15th inning save has nothing to do with it... Lack of faith in Guzman? He didn't pitch earlier in the game because he threw June 2, 3, 5 and 6. When he came into the game in the 15th, there were only 2 pitchers left in the bullpen (Gooz and Marshall), and Lou had stated before the game that both would have the day off.

I think Gooz would make an excellent temporary replacement for Marmol setting up Gregg. If you followed the Cubs at all, you'd notice how dominate Gooz has been this year. He's been throwing all his stuff for strikes, added a cutter (which has been effective vs. righties), and he's always had a live fastball. You'd also notice that Lou has already been using Gooz in high leverage scenarios. Guzman has a career plagued with injuries, but it appears this one time top SP prospect is finally healthy and is excelling in the bullpen. Guzman has clearly been the best pitcher in the Cubs pen this year.


Lol...way to take it personally, Mrs. Guzman :-b
Image
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 428
(Past Year: 17)
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby nolanwood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:08 am

Bloody Sox wrote:
BALCO All-Stars wrote:
nolanwood wrote:
Wrong. :-t The 15th inning save has nothing to do with it... Lack of faith in Guzman? He didn't pitch earlier in the game because he threw June 2, 3, 5 and 6. When he came into the game in the 15th, there were only 2 pitchers left in the bullpen (Gooz and Marshall), and Lou had stated before the game that both would have the day off.

I think Gooz would make an excellent temporary replacement for Marmol setting up Gregg. If you followed the Cubs at all, you'd notice how dominate Gooz has been this year. He's been throwing all his stuff for strikes, added a cutter (which has been effective vs. righties), and he's always had a live fastball. You'd also notice that Lou has already been using Gooz in high leverage scenarios. Guzman has a career plagued with injuries, but it appears this one time top SP prospect is finally healthy and is excelling in the bullpen. Guzman has clearly been the best pitcher in the Cubs pen this year.


You're right, he has been the best arm in the pen this year...pitching in the 7th inning of most games. Who says he can handle the pressure of closing games. If anything, he needs to stay where he's at while Marmol figures out what is wrong with himself. IMO it takes more then 2 good months of a season before a player should be deemed worthy. But anyway, I'm bowing out because I don't want to turn this into another back and forth that clogs up this thread.

Actually, I wasn't arguing that Pinella would/might install Guzman as the closer, only that he's been reluctant to make Marmol the closer and his pattern has been that he'd try the next best option first before turning to Marmol... in this case, that might be Guzman.


Exactly. Nobody here is arguing that Gooz should be the closer. At this moment in time he should take over Marmol's role until he figures it out. Marmol is not the closer...

Furthermore, why would you want Marmol to "figure things out" in the 8th inning of a close ballgame?
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 464
Joined: 5 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby nolanwood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:13 am

Crippler wrote:
nolanwood wrote:
Crippler wrote:
Its probably more of a lack of faith in Guzman...dude gets one save in the what...15th inning?...and all the sudden people are discussing him as a closer option? The only reason he even came in was because every other option was already used.


Wrong. :-t The 15th inning save has nothing to do with it... Lack of faith in Guzman? He didn't pitch earlier in the game because he threw June 2, 3, 5 and 6. When he came into the game in the 15th, there were only 2 pitchers left in the bullpen (Gooz and Marshall), and Lou had stated before the game that both would have the day off.

I think Gooz would make an excellent temporary replacement for Marmol setting up Gregg. If you followed the Cubs at all, you'd notice how dominate Gooz has been this year. He's been throwing all his stuff for strikes, added a cutter (which has been effective vs. righties), and he's always had a live fastball. You'd also notice that Lou has already been using Gooz in high leverage scenarios. Guzman has a career plagued with injuries, but it appears this one time top SP prospect is finally healthy and is excelling in the bullpen. Guzman has clearly been the best pitcher in the Cubs pen this year.


Lol...way to take it personally, Mrs. Guzman :-b



What an excellent , insightful post! ;-D

I don't understand why anyone would feel the need to provide advice/opinions on scenarios they know absolutely nothing about... As a Cub fan I'm just trying to provide helpful advice that if Marmol continues to struggle Gooz is without a doubt his replacement.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 464
Joined: 5 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:40 am

More on Francisco (via Rotoworld)

Frank Francisco was unavailable for a third consecutive game Sunday due to lingering shoulder soreness.
Rangers manager Ron Washington is hopeful his closer won't require another stint on the disabled list, but it's a strong possibility. "No one has mentioned to me that it could be a DL," manager Ron Washington said. "We’re going to have our doctors check him out again and make sure what course we need to take." C.J. Wilson will continue filling in. Jun. 8 - 8:54 am et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLi ... &hl=265919

http://www.star-telegram.com/284/story/1419906.html
Image
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1995
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 9 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In mancave playing CodMW2

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby da bears » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:00 am

Sounds like this Francisco injury might drag on a bit. As for the Chicago potential situation, Nolanwood has it spot on. Guzman has been great this year and has recently been put into more high pressure situations. Guz very well might have jumped Marmol as the next in line for saves if anything were to happen to Gregg. It would be almost impossible for Lou to look to Marmol with all the walks he has given up this year.
da bears
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 339
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Nails86 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:29 pm

Per Rotoworld:

Chad Qualls said he expects his forearm tightness to linger.
Qualls blew a save Sunday night after allowing a game-tying home run to David Eckstein. Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch can't feel comfortable trotting him out in the ninth inning at this point. An arm injury is an arm injury. "I don't think it's going to be something that's going to just heal overnight," said the Arizona closer. "It's going to be a grind to get it back to feeling good and comfortable." We'll keep you updated if any changes are made.
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 443
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby slomo007 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Arizona and Texas have the 2 most interesting closer situations to me at the moment. They are both teams that seem to generate a decent amount of save chances, and both current closers appear to have potentially serious arm/shoulder injuries. And, they both have set up men (Pena/Wilson) that have the ability to take and hold the job for a while should the need arise without killing your team's ratios. I just picked up Pena and will hold on to him until Quall's health improves, and by the sound of it that could be a while. If nothing else I am pretty confident he won't hurt me in the meantime like the other flavors of the week (Izzy, Wheeler, etc).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby beagle » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:38 pm

ATL/PITT had some strange things going on...

If I am reading the ESPN updates right, it seems Gonzo was relieved by Soriano (which who knows with those two) and then Burnett??? over Grabow. Am I reading into this, or reading it wrong? More interested in the Burnett coming in the 9th rather than the Soriano, since that has happened before.
beagle
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 117
Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

NY Yankees at Boston
(4:05 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(7:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(8:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact