2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Slayer Rules » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:38 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Steve-o wrote:News on the Brewer Closer backup situation. Considering the spring that Villanueva has had, I can't say I blame the brewers for looking at McClung

If closer Trevor Hoffman doesn't recover from his oblique strain -- a distinct possibility at this stage -- McClung also is a candidate to close games, according to Macha.

Link to Milw Journal Sentinel article.

I wouldn't believe that for a second, as McClung has actually been worse the Villanueva.

Villanueva: 8.1 IP, 3HR, 3BB, 7K
McGarbage: 9 IP, 3HR, 6BB, 3K

Don't always believe what Macha says. ;-)

This is a pathetic situation - it's Mariner-esque. Hoffman is hurt and the season hasn't even started yet.

Definite downgrade on Gallardo - the only Brewer pitcher worth owning in standard leagues
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Slayer Rules wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
Steve-o wrote:News on the Brewer Closer backup situation. Considering the spring that Villanueva has had, I can't say I blame the brewers for looking at McClung

I wouldn't believe that for a second, as McClung has actually been worse the Villanueva.

This is a pathetic situation - it's Mariner-esque. Hoffman is hurt and the season hasn't even started yet.

Definite downgrade on Gallardo - the only Brewer pitcher worth owning in standard leagues

I'd still go for Villanueva, for sure.
It's only spring training and he's probably trying things out and making mistakes.
McClung really, really sucks - we already know that. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:29 am

Slayer Rules wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

It's a long season. Relax.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby converge241 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:10 am

Hope "Applesauce" Motte takes it and runs with it, always a fan

Plus Chris Perez looks too much like Kenny Powers to totally trust lol

That seattle situation could be resolved if Morrow WERE to go back

Manager manager Don Wakamatsu said Saturday that he wasn't willing to rule out sticking Brandon Morrow back in the bullpen.

It was clear that Morrow was going to be in the rotation before his bout with forearm soreness. Now he's been sidelined long enough that it looks like there's little chance of him starting a game during the first week of the season. The logical move would be to send him down for a couple of weeks to build him up, but it sounds like a permanent move back to the pen is again being considered. "One of the things is, we're going to have to probably flip him into a game in an inning or two after one of our starters right now,'' he said. "So, we'll get a chance to take a look at him in that capacity. So, we'll just keep evaluating.''
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby Montana168 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:51 am

how long do u guys think it will take before chris ray is annointed the closer in baltimore? ray hasn't allowed a run in 7 spring training innings and has struck out 7 while only allowing 4 hits. sherrill on the other hand has a 3.60 ERA, not terrible, but not great. i say by may at the latest ray will be closing again.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Steve-o » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:12 pm

John Perotto of BP on 3/22 wrote:Leo Nuñez will likely get the bulk of the Marlins' save chances if Matt Lindstrom (shoulder) begins the season on the disabled list, though Logan Kensing might also be in the closer picture along with left-hander Renyel Pinto.

Brandon Morrow will probably begin the season in the Mariners' bullpen, perhaps as a closer, as a shoulder injury has prevented him from building enough stamina to begin the season in the rotation.

Tigers ... [are] leaning toward using both Brandon Lyon and Fernando Rodney to close games.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Montana168 wrote:how long do u guys think it will take before chris ray is annointed the closer in baltimore? ray hasn't allowed a run in 7 spring training innings and has struck out 7 while only allowing 4 hits. sherrill on the other hand has a 3.60 ERA, not terrible, but not great. i say by may at the latest ray will be closing again.

Its going to be a physical readiness thing for Ray. When he's feels comfortable enough to close, he will. May sounds about right and expect him to run with it for year thereafter.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby colt4523 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:31 pm

So who is closing in Colorado? Corpas or Street?
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:40 pm

colt4523 wrote:So who is closing in Colorado? Corpas or Street?

Corpas clearly has the lead. I'm actually still looking for Col to trade Street as he'll get very expensive and if he's not closing he doesn't have much value. The Buchholtz injury complicates things some as the possible production of Morrillo. So, we're just going to have to wait and see. Street is though going ahead of Corpas in most drafts still but the distance is closing quickly.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
colt4523 wrote:So who is closing in Colorado? Corpas or Street?

Corpas clearly has the lead. I'm actually still looking for Col to trade Street as he'll get very expensive and if he's not closing he doesn't have much value. The Buchholtz injury complicates things some as the possible production of Morrillo. So, we're just going to have to wait and see. Street is though going ahead of Corpas in most drafts still but the distance is closing quickly.

I wouldn't say clearly, but I agree with you that Corpas is in the lead. Although Street had a rocky start (no pun intended), he has actually been better lately. His last 5 IP have been perfect, I believe.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers