2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:13 pm

it might be officially time to ban the crippler from this thread.

moving on...
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3181
Joined: 5 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby rib217 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Does Valverde automatically get his closer gig back once off the DL?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2726
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:30 pm

rib217 wrote:Does Valverde automatically get his closer gig back once off the DL?


yes. unless he is traded, it is his job. also, he had to show signs that he is seriously unhealthy before he loses he job. if he blows 3 saves in a row coming back, i wouldn't worry, as long as he appears healthy.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3181
Joined: 5 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Crippler » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:41 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:it might be officially time to ban the crippler from this thread.

moving on...


I think it's officially time to put a shirt on. Nasty.
Image
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 428
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:10 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:
rib217 wrote:Does Valverde automatically get his closer gig back once off the DL?


yes. unless he is traded, it is his job. also, he had to show signs that he is seriously unhealthy before he loses he job. if he blows 3 saves in a row coming back, i wouldn't worry, as long as he appears healthy.

Well if he blows 3 saves in a row, he might be hiding an injury...
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby auclairkeithbc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:25 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:
rib217 wrote:Does Valverde automatically get his closer gig back once off the DL?


yes. unless he is traded, it is his job. also, he had to show signs that he is seriously unhealthy before he loses he job. if he blows 3 saves in a row coming back, i wouldn't worry, as long as he appears healthy.

Well if he blows 3 saves in a row, he might be hiding an injury...


true. i guess you can worry if he blows his first 3 saves.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3181
Joined: 5 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:37 pm

Cards add another young power arm with closer potential to the major league pen.

Cardinals purchased the contract of RHP Jess Todd from Triple-A Memphis.

Todd will be in the Cardinals bullpen this evening against the Reds. He was the organization's Minor League Pitcher of the Year as a starter in 2008. A corresponding roster move has not yet been announced, although there are health concerns with starters Kyle Lohse and Joel Pineiro. Todd, a 2007 second-round pick, was 3-1 with a 2.96 ERA as Memphis' closer. rotoworld
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8534
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Crippler » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Cards add another young power arm with closer potential to the major league pen.

Cardinals purchased the contract of RHP Jess Todd from Triple-A Memphis.

Todd will be in the Cardinals bullpen this evening against the Reds. He was the organization's Minor League Pitcher of the Year as a starter in 2008. A corresponding roster move has not yet been announced, although there are health concerns with starters Kyle Lohse and Joel Pineiro. Todd, a 2007 second-round pick, was 3-1 with a 2.96 ERA as Memphis' closer. rotoworld


Wow. Ryan Franklin has been rock-solid, but if he manages to stumble for a few consecutive games, the Cards will have quite a few options to choose from.
Image
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 428
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby jackie hayes » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:37 pm

JJ Putz may be surgery-bound. From Newsday, via rotoworld:
J.J. Putz is headed to New York to have his sore right elbow examined and Newsday's David Lennon writes that "surgery seems like the logical next step."

Putz is bothered by a bone spur in his elbow that doesn't allow him to finish pitches. "I'm not following through because it hurts," Putz said. Putz lost his eighth-inning responsibilities to Bobby Parnell on Wednesday.
Source: Newsday

Not immediately relevant for everyone, but useful for handcuffers and deep-league speculators.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Posts: 2071
(Past Year: 65)
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Zhangman1 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:49 pm

yea yea, i know it's Game Commentary but JP Howell is in for the Save in Tampa. Facing Butler (R) Jacobs (L) Guillen (R).

I have no idea what to make of this. Maybe since Shields went 8 maddon went w/ the best arm in the pen???

Ugh...im getting out of this race.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2068
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact