2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:30 pm

Crippler wrote:Ugh, are people still talking about Ziegler?

yes.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 pm

by pitching more than 1 inning, it makes less likely bailey comes out for a back to back save right? then we have to speculate who might it be if there is to be a save opp tomorrow.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Crippler » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:55 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:by pitching more than 1 inning, it makes less likely bailey comes out for a back to back save right? then we have to speculate who might it be if there is to be a save opp tomorrow.

He hasn't pitched in 3 days other than today. I think he can handle at least .1 IP for the save if need-be tomorrow :-[
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jackie hayes » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:26 am

Holy crap, what a bunch of whining about an ordinary question...

I've dropped Ziegler in every league in which I owned him. But sometimes managers feel that a multi-inning throw-rest-throw outing is more taxing than a one-inning outing, so I was just asking if it's worth using a spot to try to get a rogue save instead of picking up middle reliever X. I though, gee, since I never watch Oakland, maybe someone knows better than I do if Geren's likely to try to rest him tomorrow, despite the low pitch count.

I'm so very sorry, delicate geniuses, that you had to read the name "Ziegler" again. I can only imagine how painful that must be for you.

Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:53 am

Crippler wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:by pitching more than 1 inning, it makes less likely bailey comes out for a back to back save right? then we have to speculate who might it be if there is to be a save opp tomorrow.

He hasn't pitched in 3 days other than today. I think he can handle at least .1 IP for the save if need-be tomorrow :-[

if you paid attention, bailey also has some 2 inning appearances and there's more to come in the near future. i'm not just talking about this for the sake of tonight.
stop acting like andrew bailey's dad. :-t
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Maris09 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:26 am

Being the one who is usually yelled at in this type of situation :-D , I actually see both sides here.

On one side, it should be ok to talk about a guy who may be able to vulture a Save tomorrow. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
On the other side, seems like people have a tendency to hold out hope for certain people. Like continuing to mention their names will somehow help out (not speaking specifically about the Ziegler situation here).

All in all I guess we've just got to be more tolerant of what goes on in this thread (me first).

That said, I think it's pretty obvious that if Bailey can't go, then it's probably Ziegler's inning. Not much to breakdown there.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:22 am

Maris09 wrote:That said, I think it's pretty obvious that if Bailey can't go, then it's probably Ziegler's inning. Not much to breakdown there.

This.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Zhangman1 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:54 am

I think the original question is could Bailey go and I'm leaning toward yes. The 1.2IP isn't the big deal for me since he only threw 15 pitches. What would be more concerning is he had to sit around for a while and get back up.

Back in April, 21st & 22nd to be exact; he went 2IP then 1IP the next night so I think he can handle it.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby jackie hayes » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:22 am

Just to be clear, I don't doubt he can go, nor that he should go. All I was asking is whether Geren's likely to go with him, or if he treats his young relievers with kid gloves. I saw the one time earlier that he went the day after a 2-inning outing, but it was just once, so I wasn't sure if it was an exception (maybe the entire bullpen had been worked hard, so he had no choice).

I don't know why there was such a reaction to this. Nabbing rogue saves, like Sampson's yesterday, can be very useful for some of us.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Crippler » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:27 am

jackie hayes wrote:Holy crap, what a bunch of whining about an ordinary question...

I've dropped Ziegler in every league in which I owned him. But sometimes managers feel that a multi-inning throw-rest-throw outing is more taxing than a one-inning outing, so I was just asking if it's worth using a spot to try to get a rogue save instead of picking up middle reliever X. I though, gee, since I never watch Oakland, maybe someone knows better than I do if Geren's likely to try to rest him tomorrow, despite the low pitch count.

I'm so very sorry, delicate geniuses, that you had to read the name "Ziegler" again. I can only imagine how painful that must be for you.

Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler, Ziegler.

Ziegler will most likely not pitch if there is a SV opp.

Moving on...
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers