2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby MissingOakley » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:25 pm

Not definitive on Valverde, but an interesting take:

Jose Valverde will also be a free agent at the end of the year, but he’s currently on the disabled list. When he does return later this summer, he’ll have a very short window of opportunity to prove he’s OK before the trade deadline hits. Tampa Bay is need of a closer, but they don’t have the dough to support Valverde’s deal. But as the season wears on and injuries occur, his market will grow.
http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jun/01/ ... ros-leave/

If it's true that the Astros are looking to deal Valverde and will want to pump up his value when he returns, they'll almost certainly return him to the closer role. Which would mean that Hawkins will hit the waiver wire in a ton of fantasy leagues. He could be worth a roster spot until the trade deadline.
MissingOakley
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby auclairkeithbc » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:33 pm

beagle wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:i think hawkins goes back to the 8th inning where he belongs.

Why does he belong there?...I think he has filled in very well.

yeah i agree he has filled in very well. i own both. i am glad he has filled in well. but he has a very shaky history as a closer, and even as a non-closer. the 8th inning role in houston has suited him very well so far, and it is an important role as well. again, i'm glad he has filled in very well, but it isn't like hawkins is a young unknown entity. every hawkins owner (including myself) should be very very happy he has pitched so well and found a nice home for himself in the 8th inning setting up valverde. i don't want anything to change for either of them, because likely it will be a net negative.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zhangman1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:03 pm

any Dbacks fans have more on Qualls sore forearm? Like is there a chance he hits the DL?
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Zhangman1 wrote:any Dbacks fans have more on Qualls sore forearm? Like is there a chance he hits the DL?

Picking up Tony Pena if you have the roster spot might not be a bad idea.
From mlblogs.com

Closer Chad Qualls may, or may not, be available for Monday night's game against the Dodgers.

The right-hander has been experiencing some stiffness in his forearm and manager A.J. Hinch told us before the game that he had given Qualls four straight days off in an attempt to take care of the issue.

As of batting practice, Hinch was not sure whether Qualls would be available for Monday night's game or not.

"His forearm has been sore the last couple of days," Hinch said. "He was a little bit sore and I think at this time of the season there's just no reason to push it so we kind of have a scheduled plan to give him three or four days off. Now he's on day four."

Hinch didn't sound overly alarmed, but certainly it's something we'll have to keep an eye on.

Posted on June 1, 2009 at 7:09 PM

http://taoofsteve.mlblogs.com/
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby racrzeke » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:49 pm

Kevin Gregg kind of an unlucky blown save tonight (strike out-wild pitch, then a hr). How long until Marmol takes over? :-?
racrzeke
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:35 pm

racrzeke wrote:Kevin Gregg kind of an unlucky blown save tonight (strike out-wild pitch, then a hr to the 3rd worst OF in the league). How long until Marmol takes over? :-?

Fixed. ;-D

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby racrzeke » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Haha, yea but still quite unlucky. HE got 2ks in the inning so this probably wont put his job in major jeopardy.

Would it be Marmol or Guzman? Since it looks like Lou wants Marmol to be in the 8th and multi inning role.
racrzeke
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BMcP » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 pm

Gregg made one mistake pitch - a fastball he left belt-high in the middle of the strike zone - after shaking off about 3 pitches - to a guy who can't hit anything but that pitch at the moment.

Wouldn't have mattered but for Soto's inability to keep the ball in front of him in the previous AB. Should have been another save.
BMcP
College Coach
College Coach

Postby metsfan12 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:06 pm

racrzeke wrote:Kevin Gregg kind of an unlucky blown save tonight (strike out-wild pitch, then a hr). How long until Marmol takes over? :-?

uhhhhhhh I guess you didn't see Marmol pitch huh? I didn't check the statline but I think he had one unearned run, however he was horrible. Gregg did get screwed by Soto.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:17 pm

Lou has backed Gregg on several occasions already this season regardless of how his outing went, and there's no reason to believe he's going to do anything other than keep backing him as the 'closer' and keep Marmol in the role he's been in all year, until he says otherwise.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers