2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby babaoriley » Sun May 31, 2009 10:44 am

I played High School ball with Randy Choate at Winston Churchill High in San Antonio. Followed his career the past few years, and yes, he's a situational pitcher against lefties, first and foremost. He won a ring or two with the Yanks in that role and has bounced around since then. That said, Choate has fantastic control and was among the leaders in Ks and Ws in college for FSU, where he also won a ring.

So, all that said, I think SV ops will trickle toward him when Lefties are dominating that 9th inning lineup, but it wouldn't shock me if he faced a couple righties. What did shock me was seeing that he had notched two straight saves when looking at the box score today. I didn't even have a clue that he was back in the bigs.
babaoriley
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby metsfan12 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:47 am

babaoriley wrote:I played High School ball with Randy Choate at Winston Churchill High in San Antonio. Followed his career the past few years, and yes, he's a situational pitcher against lefties, first and foremost. He won a ring or two with the Yanks in that role and has bounced around since then. That said, Choate has fantastic control and was among the leaders in Ks and Ws in college for FSU, where he also won a ring.

So, all that said, I think SV ops will trickle toward him when Lefties are dominating that 9th inning lineup, but it wouldn't shock me if he faced a couple righties. What did shock me was seeing that he had notched two straight saves when looking at the box score today. I didn't even have a clue that he was back in the bigs.

Why Choate over Howell against lefties though? I take nothing out of a guy getting a save after not starting the 9th on the mound, even 2 in a row.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:48 am

metsfan12 wrote:
babaoriley wrote:I played High School ball with Randy Choate at Winston Churchill High in San Antonio. Followed his career the past few years, and yes, he's a situational pitcher against lefties, first and foremost. He won a ring or two with the Yanks in that role and has bounced around since then. That said, Choate has fantastic control and was among the leaders in Ks and Ws in college for FSU, where he also won a ring.

Why Choate over Howell against lefties though? I take nothing out of a guy getting a save after not starting the 9th on the mound, even 2 in a row.

It goes to how Maddon uses his bullpen. He is a guy that thinks players are used at set times and/or set situations. Howell is the 7th/8th guy and it appears he is comfortable not moving him. Also, Howell isn't a situational guy, he can get lefties and righties out with regularity
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Crippler » Sun May 31, 2009 6:04 pm

For anyone who somehow still holds some sort of hope that Ziegler is the closer, Bailey got the call again in the 9th and closed out the game to convert the W while Ziegler sat on the sidelines and watched. Surprise surprise. Hope those who held onto Ziegler didnt miss out on a hot FA.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fitz0527 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:36 pm

Pretty sure nobody was saying Zeigler was still the closer.
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby racrzeke » Sun May 31, 2009 6:42 pm

Yikes Aardsma's score line doesnt look too great. Morrow didnt look too good yesterday wonder if Morrow can take the job back.

Granted, Aardsma has been pretty good in the role so far just an ugly spot today. Although 4 walks
racrzeke
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rimrattlerla11 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:26 pm

racrzeke wrote:Yikes Aardsma's score line doesnt look too great. Morrow didnt look too good yesterday wonder if Morrow can take the job back.

Granted, Aardsma has been pretty good in the role so far just an ugly spot today. Although 4 walks

I think Aardsma is still fine in the role. Only his 1st blown save of the year and its not like Morrow has been putting up 0's in his innings pitched since he was removed from the closer role.

I watched today's game and Aardsma's control was really off. Not sure of strike %, but it was pretty ugly. 3 BB's (walk to Rivera to tie game was on 4 pitches) and 1 IBB to Hunter. Of course, most people would now question the IBB to Hunter, since Aardsma walked Rivera on 4 pitches, but it seemed like Wakamatsu didn't want Hunter to beat him.

Do note that he has pitched 3 consecutive days and he threw over 30 pitches today (not sure of exact #).
Rimrattlerla11
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Sun May 31, 2009 7:40 pm

Crippler wrote:For anyone who somehow still holds some sort of hope that Ziegler is the closer, Bailey got the call again in the 9th and closed out the game to convert the W while Ziegler sat on the sidelines and watched. Surprise surprise. Hope those who held onto Ziegler didnt miss out on a hot FA.

As a Ziegler owner in a deep league (i.e. Ziegs will get picked up if I dropped him), I saw Bailey entered the 8th with only one out and then held out hope...only to see Bailey finish the game. I'd say it's a definite role reversal from earlier in the year...Bailey should be getting the majority of saves.

Correction...Bailey got the BS in the 8th (let the two inherited runs scored), but got the W...sorry for the game commentary, just wanted to finish my train of thought.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:20 am

so is it safe to assume isringhausen is not the top 2 choices for the closer role now?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:40 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:so is it safe to assume isringhausen is not the top 2 choices for the closer role now?

Izzy was good again, and got relieved by leftie Howell to create the best match up vs those Twin hitters.
It wasnt a save situation but he needed some work, cause havent pitched since Wed.
So its not safe to assume.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers