2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby dirty tom » Sun May 31, 2009 12:57 am

auclairkeithbc wrote:
Rohan wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:
I wouldn't drop him if you don't have to. He is unlikely going to be the full time closer, but Bailey could mess things up for himself. Also, the plan might be to get Zeigler some saves. If you desperately need the roster spot, dump him I guess. If you can hold out a little while, then hold out.

I agree. Bailey did blow some games, and give up 4 or 6 earned runs in his last few appearances.

well, you and the crippler can stay as ignorant as you want. but i would prefer to wait until someone officially loses his job before i dump him for some speculative free agent.

about 99% of the pitchers in this league haven't blown any saves and haven't given up 4 or 6 earned runs in their last few appearances. so the fact that player X is part of the 99% of pitchers who haven't, doesn't really prove anything.

hahaha WHAT DOES THAT SAYY??
dirty tom
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby damnitman » Sun May 31, 2009 1:03 am

I just heard on MLBnetwork they were talkin to Price about becoming the Rays closer. Is this a possibility? That would keep his value up when Kazmir returns yes?
damnitman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mac-unit » Sun May 31, 2009 1:05 am

damnitman wrote:I just heard on MLBnetwork they were talkin to Price about becoming the Rays closer. Is this a possibility? That would keep his value up when Kazmir returns yes?

I'd say slim to none. He will keep his value up since the Rays didn't bring him up to only pitch while Kaz is out. They brought him up to stay for good.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Crippler » Sun May 31, 2009 2:09 am

damnitman wrote:I just heard on MLBnetwork they were talkin to Price about becoming the Rays closer. Is this a possibility? That would keep his value up when Kazmir returns yes?

He's got much more value as a starter, so thats not going to happen.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby drunkmonkey » Sun May 31, 2009 2:09 am

5.2 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 11 K

I think starts like that will keep his value up when Kazmir returns.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sun May 31, 2009 3:30 am

dirty tom wrote:
auclairkeithbc wrote:
Rohan wrote:
I agree. Bailey did blow some games, and give up 4 or 6 earned runs in his last few appearances.

well, you and the crippler can stay as ignorant as you want. but i would prefer to wait until someone officially loses his job before i dump him for some speculative free agent.

about 99% of the pitchers in this league haven't blown any saves and haven't given up 4 or 6 earned runs in their last few appearances. so the fact that player X is part of the 99% of pitchers who haven't, doesn't really prove anything.

hahaha WHAT DOES THAT SAYY??

good 1st post. welcome to the cafe.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mobzz » Sun May 31, 2009 5:01 am

As a Nunez owner I am psyched to hear the manager endorse the struggling closer. Lindstrom will be on a short leash
mobzz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Zhangman1 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:54 am

racrzeke wrote:Morrow didnt look so great in 1 inning tonight, even if he pitches decent how likely is it that he will take the job from Aardsma who is pretty solid right now?

And how much longer will the Angels hang with Fuentes? :-°

Morrow was a 1st round pick destined to be a fixture in the starting rotation this year (at least this is how i believe the Mariners saw him) before he pulled himself and put himself in the closer role. Now I know lots of players never reach their potential but i think its Seattles best interest to make him the closer or else its a total bust.

What I'm wondering is what happened to him? He was solid last year and this year before the DL Stint. Is he still hurt or is something different about his delivery? Any insight?
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun May 31, 2009 8:50 am

J.Soria Update
From Kansascity.com
All signs now point to All-Star closer Joakim Soria reclaiming his job when the Royals embark this week on a three-city trip to Tampa Bay, Toronto and Cleveland.

Soria is scheduled to undergo a day-after examination today on his right rotator cuff after acing a 23-pitch rehab outing Saturday in Surprise, Ariz. Plans called for him to return late Saturday to Kansas City.

“We’re not going to know anything until he gets back here and we see how he recovers (today) from what he did (Saturday),” manager Trey Hillman cautioned.

Even so, Hillman couldn’t disguise his optimism.

“He commanded and controlled the ball with no pain,” Hillman said. “He got seven outs (in an extended inning). His velocity was 88 to 91 (mph). He pitched at 89-90. He was good.”

Soria was 1-0 with a 2.08 ERA and seven saves in eight appearances before a strained rotator cuff forced him to the disabled list after a May 7 appearance against the Seattle Mariners.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1225399.html
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:27 am

mac-unit wrote:

I'd say slim to none. He will keep his value up since the Rays didn't bring him up to only pitch while Kaz is out. They brought him up to stay for good.

Like you said, none. The MLB network and ESPN can all keep asking the question because he closed during the playoffs and we still need one, but its not going to happen. Price has way too much value in the rotation.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers