2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby swyck » Sat May 30, 2009 8:54 am

silverZ wrote:Maddon goes to random no name lefty to face Mauer with 2 out in the 9th. As a Wheeler owner I'm highly annoyed. :-P %-6

Actually as a Wheeler owner I'm fine with this. He was there in the 9th with the game on the line, and didn't blow it. That they brought in the lefty was a disappointment but not really surprising considering the game situation.

IMO Wheeler's there in the 9th the next time there's a save shot. If he nails a few in a row he has the job. That's generally how these thing work when a bullpen is in disarray. Someone gets a shot, and if they run a streak they keep the job, at least for the near future. For every 4 or 5 saves you earn one blown save.

Go Wheels Go! ;-D
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat May 30, 2009 8:58 am

his mistake was walking one. he was given the chance with 1 lefty already, right? (wheeler)
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby swyck » Sat May 30, 2009 9:52 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:his mistake was walking one. he was given the chance with 1 lefty already, right? (wheeler)

Yea, he got a shot with one lefty and walked him. IMO, knowing Maddon, that may have confirmed his stupid matchup theory.

I think it was more that Mauer was the next lefty hitter up rather then just any lefty. Mauer's been smoking hot since coming off the DL.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby 405z06 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:45 am

Rohan wrote:
i dont think committees EVER work. You give to a guy like Wheeler and if he succeeds, you keep giving him the ball in the 9th.

Prior to the 1985 season the Cardinals lost Bruce Sutter to free agency, and I believe it was Herzog who actually coined the phrase "bullpen by committee". The bullpen didn't blow a game that year until the 6th game of the World Series, if I recall correctly. And they got some help with that one from an umpire named Denkinger.
+
405z06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Crippler » Sat May 30, 2009 11:57 am

Syfo-Dyas wrote:Is it time to drop Ziegler?

Last week was the time to drop Ziegler.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby auclairkeithbc » Sat May 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Crippler wrote:

I wouldn't drop him if you don't have to. He is unlikely going to be the full time closer, but Bailey could mess things up for himself. Also, the plan might be to get Zeigler some saves. If you desperately need the roster spot, dump him I guess. If you can hold out a little while, then hold out.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Crippler » Sat May 30, 2009 4:40 pm

auclairkeithbc wrote:
Crippler wrote:

I wouldn't drop him if you don't have to. He is unlikely going to be the full time closer, but Bailey could mess things up for himself. Also, the plan might be to get Zeigler some saves. If you desperately need the roster spot, dump him I guess. If you can hold out a little while, then hold out.

Well of course dont if you 'dont have to'...why just drop someone for the fun of it? My leagues and most other competitive leagues require you to act quickly on waiver potential, so I dont have the luxury of sitting on a player for weeks just in case they get the job back.

So in summary...yes, I guess if your league isnt very competitive, feel free to keep Ziegler on your bench for a few weeks in case a small miracle occurs and Ziegler gets another chance. I dropped him last week when he lost his job and was able to pick up Wheeler instead.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cockpuncher » Sat May 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Anybody notice Lindstrom gotted pulled in the 9th today....and Nunez came in and picked up the final out for the save. Should we make anything of this?
Cockpuncher
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MissingOakley » Sat May 30, 2009 5:16 pm

Lindstrom was really ineffective, though he was throwing hard. Florida is apparently no longer letting him pitch out of all of the jams he creates, which means his leash has gotten shorter. I'm not sure how many more bad outings he'd need to be removed from the role entirely, though.
MissingOakley
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers