2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby silverZ » Fri May 29, 2009 1:31 pm

So who's Sherrills handcuff at this point? Baez?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Maris09 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:36 pm

silverZ wrote:So who's Sherrills handcuff at this point? Baez?

They seem to prefer using Baez in a multiple inning role, but I'd have to think he would be the guy.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Skins Fanatic » Fri May 29, 2009 2:00 pm

silverZ wrote:So who's Sherrills handcuff at this point? Baez?

Johnson has actually gotten the last couple opportunities, including once this week where he converted after blowing an opportunity this past weekend. I'd say he's the backup.

(not to jinx it, but holy crap that's like 6 straight posts with actual closer info!!!)
Skins Fanatic
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zhangman1 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:17 pm

Crippler wrote:
Little Lee wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
Percival will not be back closing and IMO 99% he will not be back with Rays period. I recently found out he has actually been a pretty terrible teammate in the locker room and his presence isn't really wanted around the team anymore. He doesn't want to retire because that means he won't be paid the remainder of his salary and he really needs the money after a very messy divorce. He wants to come back because he needs/wants the money, but it looks like the Rays do not want him back.

Izzy's job to lose then?

No. Izzy already blew his chance and they had him pitching in the middle inning last time.

Probably Wheeler's job to lose.

Any chance Izzy was pitching in middle innings just to get him some work? I doubt he's out of the picture
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri May 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Closers usually don't "get some work" in the middle innings, they get the 9th almost 100% of the time even in non-save ops. That said, Wheeler's only two crappy outings or a couple straight days of pitching away from Izzy getting another shot IMO.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby quitesanemax » Fri May 29, 2009 3:03 pm

If its not a save opportunity, it really doesn't matter when they put him in. I think they were just putting him in there to get him pitching again after that last outing. After an outing like that, the sooner you can get them in there, the better... otherwise it eats at them. Better to put him in earlier, so that if he does blow up again, your team has time to recover... but since he did good, I think that the fact that they put him in earlier doesn't really tell us anything.

We are going to have to wait and see... I think its entirely possible that they turn to the dreaded cbc...

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby metsfan12 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Closers usually don't "get some work" in the middle innings, they get the 9th almost 100% of the time even in non-save ops. That said, Wheeler's only two crappy outings or a couple straight days of pitching away from Izzy getting another shot IMO.

Izzy isn't your typical closer anymore, if he is working his way to be THE closer, and closers are sometimes used in non-save situations after coming back from injuries before being inserted back into the 9th. Certainly thse guys are auditioning to be the closer so I wouldn't read too much into Izzy pitching earlier in the game. As an Izzy owner I was glad to see him pitch 2 decent innings rather than upset to see him pitch in the 6th-7th. I also have Wheeler and I think it will be one of these 2 or Howell, although I could also see no one in that bullpen nailing it down for the rest of the season.
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cards07Champs » Fri May 29, 2009 4:47 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
drifter909 wrote:
The Cards currently have 6 relievers with ERAs under 3.50, 2 of which are young with dynamite stuff who could take over the role (Chris Perez and Jason Motte). They probably need a 3B as Glaus's return this season has been put into question, also K. Greene is hitting a robust .200 for the season, so a SS is possible as well.

Everybody knows about Perez and Motte, and their dynamite stuff exploded under pressure, so neither of them proved to be reliable. The Cards are probably heading to the post season, so they need a reliable closer, and so far that is Franklin.
And who's gonna give'em a Major League shortstop or 3b for Franklin anyway? Maybe if they throw in Pujols :-D

Motte got banged up at the very beginning of the season. I'm not certain the result would be the same if he was closing games now. He's been absolutely electric, and there may have been an overreaction to the opening week of the season. I honestly haven't watched him pitch, so I'm not sure if he's been throwing secondary stuff or what, but he's been lights out, and I'm not convinced it's because he's pitching in the 7th and 8th innings instead of the 9th.

His secondary pitches have improved only incrimentally, they're about where they were. What's returned is his velocity. He was guiding pitches to start the season and they were coming in straight at 91 mph. That's not going to get it done.

His last time out he was sitting at 98 mph with command and poise.

That said, it was the pressure of the 9th that made him crater last time. I'm in favor of giving him the season as a setup man so he can grow into the role next year. If Franklin falters, Motte should get the first look, but I don't think we should be forcing him into the role with Franklin pitching very well.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby auclairkeithbc » Fri May 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Cards07Champs wrote:That said, it was the pressure of the 9th that made him crater last time.

:-? It is quite a stretch to draw any conclusions based on one inning pitched. It is very strange to read stuff like this. ONE bad inning means he cratered?

How do you explain the ONLY other time this season where he let up more than one run (May 18th in a non-save situation)? He gave up 2 runs and totally cratered, proving he can't handle the pressure of pitching in the 6th inning with his team losing by 5 runs?

Or maybe he officially cratered on April 14th, 8 days after his one and only blown save, when he gave up 1 hit, 1 BB and 1 R in 1.2IP of a close game, leaving the game with his team still in the lead, and recording a hold?

There is simply no real evidence that the reason he performed poorly in his first appearance of the year was because of "the pressure of the 9th" inning. Maybe it was jitters because of the situation, sure. Maybe it was because it was his first inning of the year, and he was a little off. Maybe it was a randomly bad inning, which most pitchers have, and everyone drew way too many conclusions based on it.
i'm the guy that puts the "nip" in omnipotent...
auclairkeithbc
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:33 pm

bigh0rt wrote:One would think that he's certainly not seen his last opportunity to close after one poor outing. There have certainly been no real signs or comments by Maddon or anyone else to suggest so, either.

I totally agree. Wheeler in for the opp tonight, but IMO Maddon wants Izzy to have the job and run with it. It will depend on whether Izzy has anything left in the tank.

-- edit ---

Wheeler just got pulled with 2 out and one on for a lefty v. lefty matchup

Maddon is completely playing matchups right now
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers