2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Maris09 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:49 am

Willy T 4 MVP wrote:I'd just like to remind everyone (and perhaps certain people in particular) that if you feel the need to bitch and complain like a 6-yr old, you're in the wrong thread. There's already a thread devoted to bitching and complaining about the Closers Thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=380051

Dude I said I understood and lets move on to closer stuff, no need to keep it going and link your lame thread.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby neoforce » Fri May 29, 2009 11:52 am

For deep leagues and keeper leagues looking to next year: Who is the closer of the future in Houston?

I know Houston is very poorly run, and not a place to look for a future closer in a standard mixed league. But in those deep leagues, you have to speculate and be in front of the curve.

The future is cloudy in Houston:
  • Valverde is a possible trade candidate for this year, and an FA next so he won't be around next year.
  • Hawkins might keep the job this year, but is obviously not a long term solution.
  • Sampson is currently next in line, but is no spring chicken with upside. He just turned 31, and gets only about a half a K an inning, not classic closer stuff..
  • Havok likes the idea of converting Paulino to a closer (he is listed as a potential closer of the future) While I agree Paulino might be a better than average closer, I'm not convinced Houston is smart enough to make the change. But maybe Paulino will pitch himself out of the rotation and we will see what he has in the pen by default.

Anyone have thoughts about other longer term possibilities in Houston?
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 1128
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 17 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Slow Pitch » Fri May 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Any news on Percival? He has made so announcement of retirement has he? I guess that means he is coming back....will he be closing??
Image
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2395
Joined: 11 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
drifter909 wrote:

Valverde is goin to be FA at the end of the year, and we all know that Sherrill will blow up, with that WHIP and his track record, so both cases make sense.
But why on earth the Cards would wanna trade Franklin?


The Cards currently have 6 relievers with ERAs under 3.50, 2 of which are young with dynamite stuff who could take over the role (Chris Perez and Jason Motte). They probably need a 3B as Glaus's return this season has been put into question, also K. Greene is hitting a robust .200 for the season, so a SS is possible as well.

Everybody knows about Perez and Motte, and their dynamite stuff exploded under pressure, so neither of them proved to be reliable. The Cards are probably heading to the post season, so they need a reliable closer, and so far that is Franklin.
And who's gonna give'em a Major League shortstop or 3b for Franklin anyway? Maybe if they throw in Pujols :-D

Motte got banged up at the very beginning of the season. I'm not certain the result would be the same if he was closing games now. He's been absolutely electric, and there may have been an overreaction to the opening week of the season. I honestly haven't watched him pitch, so I'm not sure if he's been throwing secondary stuff or what, but he's been lights out, and I'm not convinced it's because he's pitching in the 7th and 8th innings instead of the 9th.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 351)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Maris09 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:24 pm

I agree with Bigh0rt on Motte. I've seen him pitch quite a few times since that first week and have been very impressed. That initial game against Pitt was a weird combination of opening day nerves, poor defense, and a string of about 6 left handed batters in a row.
I think he would do just fine as the closer, and definitely better than Perez.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Slow Pitch wrote:Any news on Percival? He has made so announcement of retirement has he? I guess that means he is coming back....will he be closing??


Percival will not be back closing and IMO 99% he will not be back with Rays period. I recently found out he has actually been a pretty terrible teammate in the locker room and his presence isn't really wanted around the team anymore. He doesn't want to retire because that means he won't be paid the remainder of his salary and he really needs the money after a very messy divorce. He wants to come back because he needs/wants the money, but it looks like the Rays do not want him back.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Little Lee » Fri May 29, 2009 12:30 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:Any news on Percival? He has made so announcement of retirement has he? I guess that means he is coming back....will he be closing??


Percival will not be back closing and IMO 99% he will not be back with Rays period. I recently found out he has actually been a pretty terrible teammate in the locker room and his presence isn't really wanted around the team anymore. He doesn't want to retire because that means he won't be paid the remainder of his salary and he really needs the money after a very messy divorce. He wants to come back because he needs/wants the money, but it looks like the Rays do not want him back.



Izzy's job to lose then?
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 380
Joined: 29 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Ender » Fri May 29, 2009 1:25 pm

The Cards are probably heading to the post season, so they need a reliable closer, and so far that is Franklin.


Their odds of making the post season are still pretty low. Though your point stands that they are going to be in the race and probably stick with the reliable guy as long as he stays reliable.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Crippler » Fri May 29, 2009 1:25 pm

Little Lee wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:Any news on Percival? He has made so announcement of retirement has he? I guess that means he is coming back....will he be closing??


Percival will not be back closing and IMO 99% he will not be back with Rays period. I recently found out he has actually been a pretty terrible teammate in the locker room and his presence isn't really wanted around the team anymore. He doesn't want to retire because that means he won't be paid the remainder of his salary and he really needs the money after a very messy divorce. He wants to come back because he needs/wants the money, but it looks like the Rays do not want him back.



Izzy's job to lose then?


No. Izzy already blew his chance and they had him pitching in the middle inning last time.

Probably Wheeler's job to lose.
Image
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 428
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Crippler wrote:
Little Lee wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Percival will not be back closing and IMO 99% he will not be back with Rays period. I recently found out he has actually been a pretty terrible teammate in the locker room and his presence isn't really wanted around the team anymore. He doesn't want to retire because that means he won't be paid the remainder of his salary and he really needs the money after a very messy divorce. He wants to come back because he needs/wants the money, but it looks like the Rays do not want him back.



Izzy's job to lose then?


No. Izzy already blew his chance and they had him pitching in the middle inning last time.

Probably Wheeler's job to lose.

One would think that he's certainly not seen his last opportunity to close after one poor outing. There have certainly been no real signs or comments by Maddon or anyone else to suggest so, either.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 351)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Laicekl and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
NY Mets at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Philadelphia at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Houston at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact