2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby jswede » Thu May 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Crippler wrote:[
Like I said, it takes a little common sense sometimes. I think everyone else here understood the explaination ;-)

It's simple. When the the game is going down the tubes (bases loaded, 1 out), you bring in your pressure guy to salvage the game. If he's successful, they enter the 9th with a lead and he can proceed to get the save as well.

Not that hard ;-D

those details are not in the box score, so to find that out, I would have had to find a play-by-play recap summary -- neither 'common sense' nor 'simple' -- which is why I asked the question.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Maris09 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:37 pm

jswede wrote:
Crippler wrote:[
Like I said, it takes a little common sense sometimes. I think everyone else here understood the explaination ;-)

It's simple. When the the game is going down the tubes (bases loaded, 1 out), you bring in your pressure guy to salvage the game. If he's successful, they enter the 9th with a lead and he can proceed to get the save as well.

Not that hard ;-D

those details are not in the box score, so to find that out, I would have had to find a play-by-play recap summary -- neither 'common sense' nor 'simple' -- which is why I asked the question.

How do you think he got you the answer?
I know people are just going to keep doing it anyway....just seems lazy (and often times less quick than simply making a few clicks for the answer).
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu May 28, 2009 6:44 pm

Yahoo has play by play summaries: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gi ... page=plays (example)

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Maris09 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Yahoo has play by play summaries: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gi ... page=plays (example)

Neato.....stop berating people with your delicate genius play by play links.... :-°

:-D
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu May 28, 2009 9:08 pm

am i the only one here who thinks the "common sense geniuses" and "thread cops" have ruined this thread? the intolerance and the bitching here is getting pathetic. does your higher level of proficiency give you the right to treat people like sh*t here? :-C
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Zhangman1 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Maris09 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Yahoo has play by play summaries: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gi ... page=plays (example)

Neato.....stop berating people with your delicate genius play by play links.... :-°

:-D

I'm sorry Maris, I don't know you nor do I have anything against you as a person. But have you contributed ANYTHING to this thread besides telling ppl that their post/question is dumb and not fitting?

I knew Downs came in to clean up b/c i caught the highlights on SportsCenter. But if i didn't, I wouldn't have known about it. And sure, we can all look up simple things like boxscores and play-by-play recaps just as we could all set up Google alerts for every single closer and not even need this thread. But if someone wants to share that information, or if someone is curious about something relevant to closers, go ahead and share. I'm pretty sure out of all the people that read this thread, more than one person is wondering the same thing. And it saves us all the time of pouring through game summaries.

I've only been following this thread for 3 seasons and playing fantasy for 4 so I can't claim to be any sort of expert about anything. But in my limited experience, all the "Commentary" posts and "Common Sense" posts of the past were a whole lot more useful than ppl writing posts complaining about spam.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby socceryank » Thu May 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Olly wrote:
Crippler wrote:
jswede wrote:
oh, and by the way, your explanation for going to Downs only 1 out after the SP exiting, 5 outs to go, with Frasor and Ryan still in the 'pen, neither of whom worked the night previous... makes no sense either.

Not that hard ;-D

Everytime y'all feel the need to berate someone for "wasting time" posting "dumb" questions, its always followed by 2-4 pages of obnoxious self-righteousness and arguments - that actually DO waste time. It was a perfectly valid question. Maybe he's new to fantasy baseball and doesn't know everything that you and the delicate genius Maris know (hence the need for a forum). Maybe he wanted to make sure there were no other variables at play, like an injury, that doesn't show up in the box score (so he can act before the rest of his league). I'm a first year player, keeping my bro's team warm while he's in Iraq, and that wasn't common sense to me - that's why I look at this forum. If I knew more I wouldn't need this resource. Folks are here to improve their bullpen, not to be awed by Crippler and Maris's baseball IQ. No one needs your approval to post, sheesh %-6

Well said Olly. ;-D
The Fantasy Cafe forums (baseball and football) have probably been the sites I've visited the most over the past 4-5 years. When I started playing fantasy sports, my mainstay was the Fanball forums. I quit using them because of all of the name calling, bickering, "hey look at how smart I am," and pissing contest postings that become more of the norm than the exception, and it was then that I switched to these forums. To be honest, it seems as if these forums are starting to regress to those same characteristics, which is a shame, because there seems to be some great guys on here that enjoy helping others.

Plain and simple...not everyone here has been playing fantasy sports for years, and not everyone here can dedicate hours each day researching the intricacies of the sport or the hobby. We were all novices at one point in time, and I'd like to think that we have all become above-average "managers" thanks to the support of those that have been more knowledgeable than us at the time.

We all have had "basic" or novice questions at some point. We need to respect those that come here seeking expert advice, no matter how "stupid" you think their questions may be. A little more maturity would go a long way here.

If novice questions bother anyone, that might be a signal to start your own fantasy site for "experts" only.

Not slamming on anyone here in particular, just my observations of some trends I've noticed.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BigL531 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:05 pm

Yeah I agree Maris needs to knock off the complaining. Its really counterproductive. Not every post can be "Pabelbon hit the DL, pick up Saito, Okajima, and Delcarmen". Just scroll past posts that dont interest you. Papelbon is fine btw.
BigL531
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 28, 2009 10:39 pm

Want to point out preemptively that Jonathon Broxton is unavailable for the Dodgers tonight, who are up 2 - 1, after throwing 38 pitches yesterday. Troncoso pitched the 8th and looks to come back out for the 9th and the Save Op tonight.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu May 28, 2009 10:56 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:am i the only one here who thinks the "common sense geniuses" and "thread cops" have ruined this thread? the intolerance and the bitching here is getting pathetic. does your higher level of proficiency give you the right to treat people like sh*t here? :-C

x2

This thread was classic before this year and now it's just childish. Bunch of freakin little girls. I rarely check in anymore. Too bad. Used to be one of the most valuable threads around here. :-C
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers