2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Crippler » Thu May 28, 2009 9:20 am

jswede wrote:
Maris09 wrote:
Crippler wrote:
Just take a quick look at the scoring and its pretty obvious.

The pitcher was struggling, but Tor was still up by a few runs, so Downs came in to preserve the lead...then gave it up. If he had finished the inning without giving up so many runs, he would have stayed in the game for the 5-out save.

Can't we all start doing this before posting simple questions?

oh, and by the way, your explanation for going to Downs only 1 out after the SP exiting, 5 outs to go, with Frasor and Ryan still in the 'pen, neither of whom worked the night previous... makes no sense either.

Like I said, it takes a little common sense sometimes. I think everyone else here understood the explaination ;-)

It's simple. When the the game is going down the tubes (bases loaded, 1 out), you bring in your pressure guy to salvage the game. If he's successful, they enter the 9th with a lead and he can proceed to get the save as well.

Not that hard ;-D
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby krunchyfrogg » Thu May 28, 2009 12:27 pm

Darwin wrote:Downs strained a hamstring on Wednesday but the team doesn't think it's serious, the team's official site reports....Day to day

Back to BJ Ryan for a day or two?
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Olly » Thu May 28, 2009 3:58 pm

Crippler wrote:
jswede wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Can't we all start doing this before posting simple questions?

oh, and by the way, your explanation for going to Downs only 1 out after the SP exiting, 5 outs to go, with Frasor and Ryan still in the 'pen, neither of whom worked the night previous... makes no sense either.

Like I said, it takes a little common sense sometimes. I think everyone else here understood the explaination ;-)

It's simple. When the the game is going down the tubes (bases loaded, 1 out), you bring in your pressure guy to salvage the game. If he's successful, they enter the 9th with a lead and he can proceed to get the save as well.

Not that hard ;-D

Everytime y'all feel the need to berate someone for "wasting time" posting "dumb" questions, its always followed by 2-4 pages of obnoxious self-righteousness and arguments - that actually DO waste time. It was a perfectly valid question. Maybe he's new to fantasy baseball and doesn't know everything that you and the delicate genius Maris know (hence the need for a forum). Maybe he wanted to make sure there were no other variables at play, like an injury, that doesn't show up in the box score (so he can act before the rest of his league). I'm a first year player, keeping my bro's team warm while he's in Iraq, and that wasn't common sense to me - that's why I look at this forum. If I knew more I wouldn't need this resource. Folks are here to improve their bullpen, not to be awed by Crippler and Maris's baseball IQ. No one needs your approval to post, sheesh %-6
Olly
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Rohan » Thu May 28, 2009 4:06 pm

kemper5 wrote:Why would Bailey be worthy? Look at the last 2 weeks work between both men..

Bailey - 8 IP, 4 ER, 9 H, 5 BB 1 Save
Ziegler - 7 IP, 2 ER, 7 H, 4 BB, 1 Save

Give it to the Rookie?

Bailey has more strikeouts and managers like to give the closer duty with pitchers that strikeout batters often, unlike Ziegler. Ryan Franklin is an exception.
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu May 28, 2009 4:13 pm

Rohan wrote:
kemper5 wrote:Why would Bailey be worthy? Look at the last 2 weeks work between both men..

Give it to the Rookie?

Bailey has more strikeouts and managers like to give the closer duty with pitchers that strikeout batters often, unlike Ziegler. Ryan Franklin is an exception.

Closer duty always goes to the one who gets the job done. Doesnt matter how many strikes out.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fezzik » Thu May 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:Closer duty always goes to the one who gets the job done. Doesnt matter how many strikes out.

Bailey = 29.2 IP, 37K's, 2.12era, 0.91whip = getting job done.

Ziegler = 20.1 IP, 13K's, 3.98era, 1.72whip = not getting job done.

Ziegler's whip is particularly alarming, especially for closer. Advantage Bailey.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby wildbill » Thu May 28, 2009 4:27 pm

Rohan wrote:

Give it to the Rookie?

Um, Todd Jones for all those years anyone?
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Maris09 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Olly wrote: Everytime y'all feel the need to berate someone for "wasting time" posting "dumb" questions, its always followed by 2-4 pages of obnoxious self-righteousness and arguments - that actually DO waste time.

And then everytime someone is berated for wasting time....it's followed by someone else scolding them for berating the person who could have just answered their own simple questiong....probably more quickly than waiting for a response to said simple question.

Olly wrote:It was a perfectly valid question.

Nope, think harder.

Olly wrote:Maybe he's new to fantasy baseball and doesn't know everything that you and the delicate genius Maris know (hence the need for a forum).

No genius here, just a common sense advocate.

If an obvious closer doesn't come into a game in an obvious save situation, take the 1.3 seconds it takes to click on their name and see that they've pitched 4 days in a row.
How hard is that?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 28, 2009 5:54 pm

Olly wrote:
Crippler wrote:
jswede wrote:

Not that hard ;-D

Everytime y'all feel the need to berate someone for "wasting time" posting "dumb" questions, its always followed by 2-4 pages of obnoxious self-righteousness and arguments - that actually DO waste time. It was a perfectly valid question. Maybe he's new to fantasy baseball and doesn't know everything that you and the delicate genius Maris know (hence the need for a forum). Maybe he wanted to make sure there were no other variables at play, like an injury, that doesn't show up in the box score (so he can act before the rest of his league). I'm a first year player, keeping my bro's team warm while he's in Iraq, and that wasn't common sense to me - that's why I look at this forum. If I knew more I wouldn't need this resource. Folks are here to improve their bullpen, not to be awed by Crippler and Maris's baseball IQ. No one needs your approval to post, sheesh %-6

Best first post ever.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Maris09 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:05 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Best first post ever.

Ha. Didn't even notice that.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers