2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby Cards07Champs » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:07 am

Gammons is wrong.

LaRussa hasn't used Franklin to close out games all spring (my memory says he's closed maybe 1). He's rotated through Kinney, Motte and Perez, each game the next guy gets a shot. Mozeilak has come out publicly against Franklin as a closer. Franklin himself has stated that he doesn't like the job, doesn't really want the job (last season).

LaRussa's not going to put a guy out there that doesn't have the confidence to do it. Motte's no pup, I think he's 26, so I don't think LaRussa's going to worry about frying his brain (i.e. 'pulling an Ankiel').

It's going to be Motte. If it's not Motte, it's likely Kinney. If in fact it is Franklin, it's only because LaRussa is keeping the seat warm for Perez upon his return from whatever shoulder irritation he has. Today will be extremely telling. If Motte gets the nod in a save op. today after his performance yesterday, you have your closer. That'll show a break in the rotation and huge confidence in Motte.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:11 am

Cards07Champs wrote:Gammons is wrong.

LaRussa hasn't used Franklin to close out games all spring (my memory says he's closed maybe 1). He's rotated through Kinney, Motte and Perez, each game the next guy gets a shot. Mozeilak has come out publicly against Franklin as a closer. Franklin himself has stated that he doesn't like the job, doesn't really want the job (last season).

LaRussa's not going to put a guy out there that doesn't have the confidence to do it. Motte's no pup, I think he's 26, so I don't think LaRussa's going to worry about frying his brain (i.e. 'pulling an Ankiel').

It's going to be Motte. If it's not Motte, it's likely Kinney. If in fact it is Franklin, it's only because LaRussa is keeping the seat warm for Perez upon his return from whatever shoulder irritation he has. Today will be extremely telling. If Motte gets the nod in a save op. today after his performance yesterday, you have your closer. That'll show a break in the rotation and huge confidence in Motte.

I agree that Motte is the favorite. But managers often don't use their closers until the end of spring to close out games because they'd prefer them facing regular players who are often removed midway through the game. And I doubt the Cards will use Motte again today since he pitched 1.1 innings yesterday. My guess is that Kinney will get the save op if there's one.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Cards07Champs » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:22 am

rookies and cream wrote:

I agree that Motte is the favorite. But managers often don't use their closers until the end of spring to close out games because they'd prefer them facing regular players who are often removed midway through the game. And I doubt the Cards will use Motte again today since he pitched 1.1 innings yesterday. My guess is that Kinney will get the save op if there's one.

Normally I'd agree, but if you're trying out noob closers, I think you want them closing out the 9th because only the 9th can create the stress that nailing down those final 3 outs creates. If you want to see if your guys have the stones to slam the door, you're going to throw them out in the 9th inning. That's what he appears to be doing with Motte, Kinney and Perez. He knows they have the stuff, he needs to know if they have the mentality. He can only find that out by running them out there at the end.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby metsfan12 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:22 am

Cards07Champs wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:

Normally I'd agree, but if you're trying out noob closers, I think you want them closing out the 9th because only the 9th can create the stress that nailing down those final 3 outs creates. If you want to see if your guys have the stones to slam the door, you're going to throw them out in the 9th inning. That's what he appears to be doing with Motte, Kinney and Perez. He knows they have the stuff, he needs to know if they have the mentality. He can only find that out by running them out there at the end.

The stress of facing 3 or 4 minor leaguers to close out a game that doesn't matter? Wouldn't you rather throw that noob out there in the 5th of a close game and tell him to pretend it is the 9th and see how he does versus MLB starters or atleast bench guys?
metsfan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j24jags » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:24 am

Just grabbed Motte as my 3rd RP in a 14-teamer, if he snags this job I'm in great shape ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:36 pm

why can't i find izzy in yahoo? he pitched last year.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:14 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:why can't i find izzy in yahoo? he pitched last year.

You call that pitching? :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Cards07Champs » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:03 pm

metsfan12 wrote:
Cards07Champs wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:

The stress of facing 3 or 4 minor leaguers to close out a game that doesn't matter? Wouldn't you rather throw that noob out there in the 5th of a close game and tell him to pretend it is the 9th and see how he does versus MLB starters or atleast bench guys?

I've already addressed that. Tell him to 'pretend it's the 9th' all you want, it doesn't matter. Tell him it's the world series during the regular season and see if he's able to 'pretend'. You won't know what he can do in that situation until he actually does it.

Again, Motte has the stuff to retire anyone in the game, absolutely anyone. This isn't a matter of him being able to get guys out in the 5th, we know he can. The question isn't, "Can he retire David Wright?" Yes, he absolutely can. His stuff and his command of it rivals all but the best relievers in baseball. This is a matter of him being able to get guys out in the 9th. Be it minor leaguers or murderers row, that's what you need to find out; can he get that last out?

In my mind, having him attack the 2nd team in the 9th inning is more valuable in determining how he can handle the closer role than having him punch guys out in the 5th, regardless of who they are.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Cards07Champs wrote:In my mind, having him attack the 2nd team in the 9th inning is more valuable in determining how he can handle the closer role than having him punch guys out in the 5th, regardless of who they are.

if i'm the manager i want to know if real major leaguers will be able to hit motte's fastball. if they can do that, it doesn't matter if he has the mentality of a closer. i know some are convinced he is for real. i want to see a few more innings.

of course, i'm not the manager. i've read tony comment that motte looked good in a save situation. i think it is definitely a positive for motte that he is pitching in the 9th.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Zhangman1 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:18 pm

News from Col:

Manny Corpas gave up three hits and his first run of the spring Friday against the Rangers.
Huston Street has allowed anyone to reach base in five innings over his last four appearances, so the closer battle in Colorado again looks close after Corpas reportedly pulled way ahead last week. If it's about even, it would make sense to give Street the job and let him rebuild his trade value.

Off Rotoworld. I believe it should say "street has NOT allowed
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers