2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby perlick29 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:32 am

mac-unit wrote:I like Chavez's chances to get the save opps. over Grabow's. Grabow hasn't been bad just vs righties. He has a .333 BAA to lefties in 6 IP(.321 BBA to righties in 14 IP). While Chavez has been good against everyone he's faced.

Chavez has been the better pitcher this year, but Grabow has consistently pitched the 8th inning so odds are he'd get 1st crack.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pizzaboy76 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:34 am

Why is Burnett not in the conversation to close for Pitt? His numbers look solid and he got the chance last night. Were Grabow and/or Chavez not available?
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue May 26, 2009 11:42 am

pizzaboy76 wrote:Why is Burnett not in the conversation to close for Pitt? His numbers look solid and he got the chance last night. Were Grabow and/or Chavez not available?

Both Grabow and Chavez had already pitched setting up Capps before the injury.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby pizzaboy76 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks, guess I should have looked.

So is it Grabow, Chavez, Burnett? Grabow's numbers don't look as good as the others, but he's second on the depth chart in multiple places.
pizzaboy76
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby Crippler » Tue May 26, 2009 12:09 pm

pizzaboy76 wrote:Thanks, guess I should have looked.

So is it Grabow, Chavez, Burnett? Grabow's numbers don't look as good as the others, but he's second on the depth chart in multiple places.

It's not Burnett.

Probably Grabow.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rohan » Tue May 26, 2009 12:58 pm

Why hasn't the closer been updated updated for Tampa Bay Rays? It still reads Percival as the closer. My guess is Wheeler. J.P. Howell is a lefty. It's unlikely they'd give it the him because of that reason. He may get a few more saves for tuff left handed outs
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue May 26, 2009 1:05 pm

Rohan wrote:Why hasn't the closer been updated updated for Tampa Bay Rays? It still reads Percival as the closer. My guess is Wheeler. J.P. Howell is a lefty. It's unlikely they'd give it the him because of that reason. He may get a few more saves for tuff left handed outs

I think you'll find it has been.
Nothing has really been set in concrete yet with TB, so Havok can't exactly pull a proclamation out of his butt.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Rubidium » Tue May 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Figured I'd post this since there was some Madson-Lidge speculation a couple pages ago.
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/ ... _face.html

"Right now, I'm not even going to talk about that," Manuel said of the Lidge situation before last night's 5-3 loss to the Florida Marlins. "I want Lidge to feel we have all the confidence in the world in him, because we do.

"He's my guy. Of course, people are going to want to voice their opinion, say sit him down.

"What is sitting going to do for him? He's still got to simulate. He's got to pitch and get somebody out. I think what's going to right [Lidge] is to go out there and have a good inning. He does that a couple of games in a row, and you'll see a big difference. Once he gets command, he'll be off to the races."

"That's how I'd look at it if I were a player," Manuel said. "If I went up to [Lidge] and said, 'You failed 2 days, so I'm going to sit you 3, 4, 5 days,' or 'slide you down to the sixth or seventh inning.' How would you feel? I'd say, 'Chuck don't like me too good.' "

"To me, I think about treating Lidge right," Manuel said. "I think he deserves a chance to work things out."

"His stuff is still there and it will play out over 162 games. That's what makes him a good closer. Will he blow a few games? Yeah. But his stuff will play out."
Rubidium
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 18 and 1 » Tue May 26, 2009 3:56 pm

Rubidium wrote:Figured I'd post this since there was some Madson-Lidge speculation a couple pages ago.
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/ ... _face.html

"Right now, I'm not even going to talk about that," Manuel said of the Lidge situation before last night's 5-3 loss to the Florida Marlins. "I want Lidge to feel we have all the confidence in the world in him, because we do.

"He's my guy. Of course, people are going to want to voice their opinion, say sit him down.

"What is sitting going to do for him? He's still got to simulate. He's got to pitch and get somebody out. I think what's going to right [Lidge] is to go out there and have a good inning. He does that a couple of games in a row, and you'll see a big difference. Once he gets command, he'll be off to the races."

"That's how I'd look at it if I were a player," Manuel said. "If I went up to [Lidge] and said, 'You failed 2 days, so I'm going to sit you 3, 4, 5 days,' or 'slide you down to the sixth or seventh inning.' How would you feel? I'd say, 'Chuck don't like me too good.' "

"To me, I think about treating Lidge right," Manuel said. "I think he deserves a chance to work things out."

"His stuff is still there and it will play out over 162 games. That's what makes him a good closer. Will he blow a few games? Yeah. But his stuff will play out."

Manuel might be right, or he may just be one stubborn SOB.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue May 26, 2009 8:17 pm

Is it safe to say Percival's career as a closer(or anything) is done?
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers