2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Magnus_CA » Sat May 23, 2009 10:44 pm

racrzeke wrote:According to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, Francisco Rodriguez is out indefinitely due to lower back spasms.

Putz is iffy himself with neck stiffness. Who else is left?
Magnus_CA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RRGL1 » Sat May 23, 2009 10:45 pm

racrzeke wrote:
According to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, Francisco Rodriguez is out indefinitely due to lower back spasms.

Also Lindstrom gave up 3+ runs and only got one out came in in a non save sit but was down by 1 he's been pitching good lately but who would be next? Nunez?

Rotoworld wrote:
K-Rod collapsed outside the clubhouse from the pain and was seen tearing up as a stretcher was called for. He has taken on a hefty workload in New York this season and it's obviously affecting him physically. We'll keep you updated as more information streams in. J.J. Putz picked up his second save Saturday night and is likely to fill in should there be a save situation over the next few days.
RRGL1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mac-unit » Sat May 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Magnus_CA wrote:
racrzeke wrote:According to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, Francisco Rodriguez is out indefinitely due to lower back spasms.

Bobby Parnell is the 3rd option. But it would be Putz, they said on the broadcast yesterday he could pitch if he had to and I'm sure he won't want to pass on some save opps.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby mac-unit » Sat May 23, 2009 10:49 pm

Izzy is coming out for the 9th....in a 10-3 game. But I think it would have been Izzy anyway since he started warming up when the score was 4-3.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fierro33 » Sat May 23, 2009 10:52 pm

hasnt izzy been ineffective for awhile now?
fierro33
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 210)

Postby mac-unit » Sat May 23, 2009 10:54 pm

fierro33 wrote:hasnt izzy been ineffective for awhile now?

He had a bad year last year. If that's enough to throw out 8 solid years in a row, then yes.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Darwin » Sat May 23, 2009 10:58 pm

mac-unit wrote:
Magnus_CA wrote:

Bobby Parnell is the 3rd option. But it would be Putz, they said on the broadcast yesterday he could pitch if he had to and I'm sure he won't want to pass on some save opps.

Also Parnells been hitting 100mph on his fastball if he can mix in a decent slider..good pickup if putz neck blows out..Putz will get first chance at saves
Losers are morons that dont have big enough balls to cheat - Kenny Powers
Darwin
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Onions » Sat May 23, 2009 11:01 pm

A's Closer Update:

Top 6th -- Brad Ziegler is warming up in bullpen, with A's leading 4-1, and bases loaded.

EDITED TO ADD: Ziegler now in the game in the 7th inning to pitch, with the A's leading 5-1.
Last edited by Onions on Sat May 23, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onions
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby sarthaz » Sat May 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Toomuchnv wrote:no offense, but the posts 2 pages ago were made prior to Gonzo being pulled out of the 9th inning in favor of Soriano because of poor performance. I would think the closer situation in Atl could be a bit more cloudy after today's game.

Agreed. This is the first time we've seen Soriano have to bail Gonzo out of trouble, and it definitely clouds the situation. Knowing Bobby Cox, though, I think Gonzo will have to really fall apart for the current dynamic to change. I'm far less certain about this than I was before game time, though. :)
sarthaz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rookies and cream » Sat May 23, 2009 11:13 pm

sarthaz wrote:
Toomuchnv wrote:no offense, but the posts 2 pages ago were made prior to Gonzo being pulled out of the 9th inning in favor of Soriano because of poor performance. I would think the closer situation in Atl could be a bit more cloudy after today's game.

Agreed. This is the first time we've seen Soriano have to bail Gonzo out of trouble, and it definitely clouds the situation. Knowing Bobby Cox, though, I think Gonzo will have to really fall apart for the current dynamic to change. I'm far less certain about this than I was before game time, though. :)

It will take several more poor outings for Gonzo to lose the job. He has been good lately and just pitched yesterday, against 3 of the toughest RH'ers in the Blue Jays line-up if you remember. He was clearly struggling today and was already at 24 pitches. Soriano was well rested, which is why he came in.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers