2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 23, 2009 1:19 am

REBEL5 AC wrote:Any chance on Marmol taking the closer role?

I see no reason we should change any thoughts we've had all season, currently.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat May 23, 2009 6:26 am

Anyone have the latest or idea about Houston's closer situation?
I know Valverde will be out at least a couple of more weeks. Hawkins has struggled the last week, while Sampson has done well.

Is Sampson a near-must add for a week or two?
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby CharlatanSin » Sat May 23, 2009 10:03 am

Question about the Atlanta situation. Yahoo is insisting over and over that Mike Gonzalez is holding onto the job by the skin of his teeth, and that it's basically a closer by committee right now where he and Soriano are splitting opportunities. It seems to me, from following box scores, that Gonzalez is undoubtedly the closer, and Soriano gets the odd chance when Cox puts Gonzalez in to deal with some particularly frightening lefties in the eighth.

So, is Yahoo stupid, or am I just naive and a wishful thinking Gonzalez owner? Any Braves homers with insight?
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Aaronta77 » Sat May 23, 2009 10:14 am

If Delcarmen gets traded from the Bosox to the Nats would he get a shot at closing?

A-
Aaronta77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Handsome One » Sat May 23, 2009 10:29 am

Aaronta77 wrote:If Delcarmen gets traded from the Bosox to the Nats would he get a shot at closing?

A-

I would think so. If the Nationals are going to part with one of their best hitters, they would expect to get a closer in return...
The Handsome One
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Sat May 23, 2009 11:36 am

In Tampa, does anyone think Thayer might have a shot at closing?
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sarthaz » Sat May 23, 2009 11:42 am

CharlatanSin wrote:Question about the Atlanta situation. Yahoo is insisting over and over that Mike Gonzalez is holding onto the job by the skin of his teeth, and that it's basically a closer by committee right now where he and Soriano are splitting opportunities. It seems to me, from following box scores, that Gonzalez is undoubtedly the closer, and Soriano gets the odd chance when Cox puts Gonzalez in to deal with some particularly frightening lefties in the eighth.

So, is Yahoo stupid, or am I just naive and a wishful thinking Gonzalez owner? Any Braves homers with insight?

I put together a post at the beginning of the season talking about how Gonzalez was the "closer", but matchups and Cox's desire to keep Gonzo, Soriano, and Moylan healthy after injuries could mean a lot of save ops for Soriano as players rotated around. While that was the reality then, I don't believe it's the reality anymore. Gonzo's proven he can handle the job and can come in 3 nights in a row or 4 out of 5 and still remain effective. Soriano and Moylan have also shown that their injuries are behind them and can be used at any time. This allows the Braves to define roles and stick to them, which was a concern early. So Gonzo is the closer. Soriano is the setup man. And that's that. Every now and then, Gonzo may come in during the 8th to shut down lefties (like that Philly game where he came in to get Howard, Ibanez, and Stairs), but do not expect that to be the norm.

What's interesting is that Gonzo really isn't appreciably better against lefties. It's Soriano who absolutely owns righties. So when you see Gonzo come in early to face lefties, it's not because he owns them, but because Soriano doesn't. Also, Gonzo's unique delivery makes it less likely for him to come into a game with someone else's runners already on base, which makes it unlikely that he'll come in to bail someone out in the 8th leaving the 9th for Soriano, when the reverse makes more sense. In any case, either of these guys could be closer without question, but the Braves have decided on Gonzo (mostly because he got hurt first and got better first), and that's the way it's going to be until something drastic happens. Both of these guys are performing excellently in their defined roles, so there's no reason to change anything, and Cox has given no indication that it's even being considered. Hope that helps.
sarthaz
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Crippler » Sat May 23, 2009 11:57 am

Dr. StrangeGlove wrote:In Tampa, does anyone think Thayer might have a shot at closing?

No.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fitz0527 » Sat May 23, 2009 2:35 pm

Aaronta77 wrote:If Delcarmen gets traded from the Bosox to the Nats would he get a shot at closing?

A-

Sox have already turned down that trade.

Soria
According to manager Trey Hillman, Joakim Soria (shoulder) is at least 10 days away from returning.
Soria has not pitched since May 7. He threw a bullpen session before Saturday's game against the Cardinals. "[Soria threw] 25 throws off the mound, all pitches, not max effort but he was spinning them," Hillman said. "He said he didn't feel anything in the shoulder." Soria was a perfect seven-for-seven in save opportunities with a 2.08 ERA before being placed on the disabled list.
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby JohnnnyD » Sat May 23, 2009 4:34 pm

which TB RP should be picked up? Howell?
JohnnnyD Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers