2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby gmq » Thu May 21, 2009 10:11 pm

Oh, so you're allowed to edit my posts? Fascist mother @#)($**#s...
Last edited by gmq on Fri May 22, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
gmq
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gmq » Thu May 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Rotowire says Joe Nelson would be next in line?
gmq
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby as834625 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:34 am

I think Howell will be next in line. The rest of the Ray's pen has been very inconsistent thus far. As far as the KC situation .. I think (gulp) Kyle Farnsworth will get the next save opportunity while Soria is still out.. he has been lights out lately.. so if you are in the market for some cheap saves over the next 10-14 days.. I think he is the add.
as834625
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DbacksRback » Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 am

wilson looked terrible giving up 2 er and the bs.....did hit 100 i think on a pitch though 8-o

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri May 22, 2009 1:53 am

auclairkeithbc wrote:
masarume wrote:What is the situation with BJ Ryan, is he worth owning at all anymore? Yahoo still has 61% ownership... I don't think Downs is giving BJ any reasons to get hopeful.

Lots of comments on the situation if you look at the last few pages of this thread.

Basically there are 2 viewpoints:

1. It is Downs job for now, but IFF Ryan proves to be near his old self, he'll be given his job back. Some of that has to do with his salary, but mostly it is just the theory that "star" players get their jobs back when they are ready for the job back. People in this camp, don't necessarily believe that Ryan will end up proving himself up for the job though, so it is still probably 50/50 at best if you believe what this group believes.

2. The only way Downs losses his job is if he stinks it up. He probably has a shorter leash than say, Rivera or Nathan or whoever, but he is now the closer, and he is going to have blow at least a few saves before he loses HIS job.

(I am in group 1 - if Ryan can close effectively, he will get a chance to do so)

;-D
Another reason why star players get their job back:
if they are performing well, they expect to be put back into their star spot. They know, if they lose it for good, they have to earn it back again the hard way, and nobody wants to do that. So if they don't get "their spot" back, they can get upset, frustrated, causing the loss of the right mind-set, and they start suck again.
(So in this case, suddenly instead of two good pitchers Toronto will have only one.)
Then they will start demanding to be traded.
And coaches can't allow that to happen, if theres anything they can do about it.

Then again, I don't know anything about Ryan personally.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby daullaz » Fri May 22, 2009 2:27 am

Check the front page tomorrow for a new Closer Complex, highlighting the possible closer candidates in Tampa.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby ChasingSaves » Fri May 22, 2009 8:07 am

Do we think Brian Wilsons job is in danger soon. He has allowed runs in 4 of his last 6 outings....basically ever since I traded Oswalt to get him. Affeldt next in line I'm guessing.
ChasingSaves
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby quitesanemax » Fri May 22, 2009 8:22 am

as834625 wrote:As far as the KC situation .. I think (gulp) Kyle Farnsworth will get the next save opportunity while Soria is still out.. he has been lights out lately.. so if you are in the market for some cheap saves over the next 10-14 days.. I think he is the add.

Just curious to get some opinions. Cruz was just a temporary fix, so who knows? But do you really thinks he loses the temporary gig because of blowing up in one non-save situation after he hadn't pitched for a while? Before that he had been doing very well.

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby perlick29 » Fri May 22, 2009 8:50 am

ChasingSaves wrote:Do we think Brian Wilsons job is in danger soon. He has allowed runs in 4 of his last 6 outings....basically ever since I traded Oswalt to get him. Affeldt next in line I'm guessing.

I'd like to think that Affeldt or Howry would be next but roto did write a little while back that Merkin Valdez would be the primary setup man so it's something to monitor if Wilson keeps struggling.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri May 22, 2009 8:53 am

I'm not seeing a lot of talk about Ramon Ramirez, RP - BoSox. I'm looking to replace some dead weight on my staff and I'm seeing some really consistent scoring from him so far. In H2H he's got to be considered a viable candidate for - at the least - a bench spot.

In just under 23 innings of work he has a 0.79 WHIP and 0.79 ERA. He only has 13K/7BB, but he's bogarted four wins so far, and looks like a decent option to pick up more as the season goes on.

The kicker is, he's only owned in 13% of CBS leagues, so he's available for the asking.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers