2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:19 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:i was thinking Balfour would be next in line for TB, but maybe its Isringhausen?
rotoworld has this..
Manager Joe Maddon said Tuesday that the Rays will be cautious with Troy Percival's early season workload and could give Jason Isringhausen some save chances.
"I don't want to just get him out there and start pushing him on a daily basis,'' Maddon said. "If we were to get hot and then you've got 3-4 wins in a row that are close situations, that would be counterproductive to get him out there that many days in a row. If we were able to figure out how to get [Isringhausen] within the mix, then of course you'd be able to bounce it back and forth, and obviously that's been in the back of my mind."

i currently have Balfour and was hoping Percical would lose the job and Balfour would end up the closer, but if Isringhausen is next would it be good to drop Balfour for Isringhausen?

I actually think Balfour is third in line, behind Izzy and Wheeler. Seems like TB likes Balfour in high pressure situations in the 7th/8th...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:25 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:i was thinking Balfour would be next in line for TB, but maybe its Isringhausen?
rotoworld has this..
Manager Joe Maddon said Tuesday that the Rays will be cautious with Troy Percival's early season workload and could give Jason Isringhausen some save chances.
"I don't want to just get him out there and start pushing him on a daily basis,'' Maddon said. "If we were to get hot and then you've got 3-4 wins in a row that are close situations, that would be counterproductive to get him out there that many days in a row. If we were able to figure out how to get [Isringhausen] within the mix, then of course you'd be able to bounce it back and forth, and obviously that's been in the back of my mind."

i currently have Balfour and was hoping Percical would lose the job and Balfour would end up the closer, but if Isringhausen is next would it be good to drop Balfour for Isringhausen?

I actually think Balfour is third in line, behind Izzy and Wheeler. Seems like TB likes Balfour in high pressure situations in the 7th/8th...

Izzy needs to prove he's healthy enough to close before he moves up the depth chart. Also, Wheeler once again proved he's not a closer last year and Balfour is clearly ahead of him in TB.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby rookies and cream » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:53 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:
rotoworld has this..

Perhaps Deeray, or another Rays fan can add to this. I agree that Balfour has the most talent in that pen, just don't think he'll be considered as the closer.

Izzy needs to prove he's healthy enough to close before he moves up the depth chart. Also, Wheeler once again proved he's not a closer last year and Balfour is clearly ahead of him in TB.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:26 pm

Chris Perez sidelined by shoulder discomfort, concerns
http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/commis ... -concerns/

I'd say that squarely puts Motte in the lead.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:37 pm

if Franklin gets the job over anyone else in St.Louis is he worth owning over someone like Balfour who isnt even closing in TB ?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 83)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Sorry, didn't see that I was late with the TB info!

I have no idea what Izzy's spring stats are, but if he's ready to go could stumble his way into a few saves early on. Also..

Rotoworld:
According to the New York Post, Joba Chamberlain would become the Yankees' closer if Mariano Rivera "is unable to close" because of an injury.

I didn't see a quote associated with it from the New York Post, but that's the report. 5 category pitchers ftw!
Last edited by RAmst23 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:34 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Per Tampa's manager from rotoworld:

I have no idea what Izzy's spring stats are, but if he's ready to go could stumble his way into a few saves early on. Also..

Rotoworld:
According to the New York Post, Joba Chamberlain would become the Yankees' closer if Mariano Rivera "is unable to close" because of an injury.

I didn't see a quote associated with it from the New York Post, but that's the report. 5 category pitchers ftw!

FTW for sho! :-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:34 am

David Aardsma struck out three of the four batters he faced Wednesday against the Royals.
If the Red Sox had it to do over again, we imagine they wouldn't have picked Wes Littleton over Aardsma, who has yet to allow a run in seven innings this spring. It's highly unlikely that he'll open the season as Seattle's closer, but it's possible he'll get the job eventually if he keeps throwing like this. He has as much upside as anyone in Seattle's pen. Rotoworld.com

Things are looking very good for Aardsma. I remember when Jenks was struggling with the White Sox and Aardsma was on his heels while K-ing everyone just a few years ago with his 100 mph fastball. Now, control and confidence was his downfall but I've seen less talented pitchers succeed in closing than Aardsma and pitching in Seattle's park can't hurt. He's also been Seattle's best reliever so far this spring. Those with a free spot, might wanna pounce on the upside here.

Nice little article touting Aardsma as the SEA reliever with the best chance at closer...http://www.baseballhq.com/library/hqtoday.shtml
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby AllDay » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:59 am

It's highly unlikely that he'll open the season as Seattle's closer

That's a surprising comment. I would think he has a good shot at being named the closer opening day.

As for TB I've been a little concerned about how the saves shake out there after reading this a few weeks ago:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article978091.ece

Next are the seven saves he needs to become the 22nd pitcher with 300.

"That's the main reason I wanted to come back," he said.

And incumbent closer Troy Percival is a close friend who helped recruit Isringhausen to the Rays.

"He told me if you come over here, I'll get you seven," Isringhausen said.

The team was sending Percival out there with promises of reaching the 300 save milestone. If you project Percival's SV total you almost should deduct 7 right off the top. Another handful will go to Wheeler or Balfour. It also tends to throw a kink in the whole 'next in line' scenario until Izzy gets to 300.

I don't know if I'd drop the serviceable MR Balfour for Izzy's speculative return and a promise of 7 saves. I'd probably sit tight or look elsewhere for a less complicated situation. At this point I don't think you can count on Balfour to be 'next in line'.

From a couple days ago:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090316/ARTICLE/903161039/2193/SPORTS?Title=Isringhausen-could-give-Rays-a-little-relief

After Percival underwent back surgery in the offseason, Maddon has been cautious with the 39-year old during spring training.

Maddon plans the same approach during the regular season, so he can have Percival for the stretch run.

"I don't want to have him get out good, then be concerned about July, August and September," Maddon said.

The manager also likes mixing and matching hard-throwers Dan Wheeler and Grant Balfour with the funk of J.P. Howell, Brian Shouse and Joe Nelson in the innings leading up to the ninth.

Maddon can have a fresh Percival and keep the others in the sixth, seventh and eighth inning roles with the help of one effective pitcher.

Jason Isringhausen.

Picked up as a minor league free agent at the start of spring training, Isringhausen is a former closer, a good one, if healthy. He could spell Percival at times and permit Maddon to keep the others in the set-up roles.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:58 am

RAmst23 wrote:Rotoworld:

I don't buy that at all. Marte or Bruney would slide in the closer's role I'm fairly certain.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers