2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby fitz0527 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Did you try reading the instructions?
Image
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 680
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 4 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MA

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:39 pm

RenPastana wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Procedure:
1 - Go to Yahoo
2 - Players
3 - Rivera
4 - Game Log
5 - Note he has pitched 3 times in the last 4 days.
6 - Repeat next time a normal closer is not in the game.


Alright Smartalec...he didn't pitch yesterday and the ESPN announcers couldn't figure out why he wasn't on the mound tonight either...Bwanna...that's pretty neat stuff but I've already installed it and no luck...thanks for the help though

Not only did he most definitely pitch yesterday, but the day before he threw 2 innings.

May 17 MIN W 3-2 - 1.0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 7 1 0 16.1 2.76
May 16 MIN W 6-4 - 2.0 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 7 1 0 15.1 2.93
May 14 @ TOR W 3-2 SV 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 7 1 0 13.1 3.38

Are you sure you...
Maris09 wrote:Procedure:
1 - Go to Yahoo
2 - Players
3 - Rivera
4 - Game Log
5 - Note he has pitched 3 times in the last 4 days.
6 - Repeat next time a normal closer is not in the game.
?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon May 18, 2009 10:42 pm

fitz0527 wrote:
vykeengfan wrote:no thoughts on izzy being called up? i would think that he would have to be considered for the closers role w/ the struggles they're having right now.

What struggles? If you take out the 1/3 of an inning meltdown on May 13 Percy hasn't given up a run in 11 consecutive outings.


Even if Percival loses the job, I think there are at least a couple of guys in front of Izzy to get save opps. In 7 innings at Durham, Isringhausen didn't record a single strikeout. I don't doubt Izzy can get back to form, but he'll likely only see playing time in blowouts right now, until he gets injured again, of course. :-o
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 14875
(Past Year: 200)
Joined: 27 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Osaka Jail

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby RenPastana » Mon May 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Maris09 wrote:
RenPastana wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Procedure:
1 - Go to Yahoo
2 - Players
3 - Rivera
4 - Game Log
5 - Note he has pitched 3 times in the last 4 days.
6 - Repeat next time a normal closer is not in the game.


Alright Smartalec...he didn't pitch yesterday and the ESPN announcers couldn't figure out why he wasn't on the mound tonight either...Bwanna...that's pretty neat stuff but I've already installed it and no luck...thanks for the help though

Not only did he most definitely pitch yesterday, but the day before he threw 2 innings.

May 17 MIN W 3-2 - 1.0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 7 1 0 16.1 2.76
May 16 MIN W 6-4 - 2.0 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 7 1 0 15.1 2.93
May 14 @ TOR W 3-2 SV 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 7 1 0 13.1 3.38

Are you sure you...
Maris09 wrote:Procedure:
1 - Go to Yahoo
2 - Players
3 - Rivera
4 - Game Log
5 - Note he has pitched 3 times in the last 4 days.
6 - Repeat next time a normal closer is not in the game.
?


You're right...I've been a mess lately...my sincere apologies
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 606
Joined: 7 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:24 pm

RenPastana wrote:You're right...I've been a mess lately...my sincere apologies

No worries man. No need for appologies.
Just trying to stress to people that doing a tiny bit of research can answer a lot of questions.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby herb96 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:44 pm

any need to hold on to Chris Perez? Franklin looks like he will hold on to the job.
herb96 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 42
Joined: 12 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby Maris09 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:19 am

herb96 wrote:any need to hold on to Chris Perez? Franklin looks like he will hold on to the job.

I don't think so. Perez walks way too many hitters for La Russa to trust him as closer.
Franklin has been solid, and even Motte has looked better than Perez. Much better K/BB rate.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2152
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 3 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby fitz0527 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:22 am

Morrow
1.2 IP
2 ER
1 HR
4 H
1 BB
3 K
%-6
Image
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 680
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 4 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MA

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:01 am

Slow Pitch wrote:
TheBambino wrote:
Slow Pitch wrote:Funny thing is for all these assumptions I am a BJ Ryan owner and a Scott Downs owner.

I just think most of those in the BJ camp have no idea what they are talking about, Downs WILL NOT lose this job if he continues to be lights out in the role. I dont care how much $$$ BJ is making. As long as Toronto is in the running this will be the case. Now if they are 20 games out, then this philosophy would change.


Sorry Bud, I disagree with you there.... Should BJ come back to form and be "consistently" pitching on par with Downs , I believe because of his contract he WILL regain the job. If you have 2 pitchers at the same skill level and demonstrating the same results .... why would you not put the one who is getting paid to be the closer, as the closer? Simple business logic to me......

Of course, some will argue that this will NEVER happen and BJ will always be throwing meatballs down the pipe.... You may be right.... and for that reason and that reason only, he wont regain the job.... not because Scott Downs is pitching well, but because BJ isnt.


You can disagree all you want, but sorry contracts dont dictate roles. If that was the case Gary Sheffield would still be a starting in the OF for the Tigers. I guess they didnt get this memo where contracts dictate everything.

The Jays arent going to change up anything that is working. If Downs & Ryan both pitch very well from here on out, Downs will be closing the reminder of the season. Why would they mess with something that is working for a winning ballclub? Cause Bj Ryans contract says so?? I think not.

Scott Downs has this job on lock down until further notice.


Of course contracts dictate roles. There is even an obvious example on the Blue Jays. The only reason why Vernon Wells is still playing CF despite his deteriorating defensive skills is because of his massive contract. Alex Rios has more range and is the superior defender of the two, but that doesn't mean anything to the Jays.

And yes, you are right...the Jays will not change anything up while they are winning. However...they are due to go through a losing spell (I hope not, but even the best teams do) and Scott Downs will blow a save at some point. If BJ Ryan pitches well, the potential for him to get his job back on this team is clearly there.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 2009 Closers Thread (No Game Commentary Please)

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:06 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:It seems like every year I run into similar stubbornness from people who just can't see the writing on the wall and insist instead on holding out unreasonable expectations until hindsight becomes 20/20 for them. Things change people. Unless Downs takes a step back, Ryan is done.

One more thing....everybody around this team still considers the change to be temporary, even Downs himself.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Millhouse and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Aug. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Houston at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Detroit at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Washington
(4:05 pm)
LA Angels at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Francisco at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact